Thread: Packard Patrician 1956

Packard Patrician 1956

1956 marks the year of the end of the independent Packard factory. Sales had slumped to such an extent, that in August 1956, Packard operations in Detroit were stopped as a result of the take-over by Studebaker. For 1957 Packards were still available but were spin-offs of the current Studebaker range. In 1958 the name disappeared forever.

The reasons for the demise are relatively simple, Packard cars were very luxurious as well as bloody expensive. The final 1956 range consisted of the Clippers and the Packard 5680 series, which included the Caribbean, the Patrician and the Four-Hundred. The Four Hundred 2-door coupe was at the same price level of the series 62 Cadillac, and the 4-door Patrician was hardly any cheaper.

Technically Packard had taken long to pick up with new developments, maintaining the inline-8 side valve engine up to 1955, when a new V8 was finally introduced. Available with 320 (5358cc) or 352 (5768cc) cid, power ranged from initially from225 to 245 bhp, but for 1956 a 374 ( 6128cc) cid version became available which produced 290 bhp, fed from a four barrel Rochester carburetor set.

Shown here is a 1956 Patrician model, a 4-door sedan, fitted with the 374 engine. Of this model only 3775 were made, out of a total 1956 model run of 28835 cars, making this a relatively rare automobile. The car was presented at the 2007 Interclassics Show in Maastricht.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Packard strengths for 1956 included a great V8 engine and their very own pushbutton automatic transmission, a well regarded unit called Ultramatic. Also perhaps the first availability in any production-car of the LSD, which complemented the (unique?) suspension system that featuring two longitudinal torsion bars that ran the length of the wheelbase and linked front-to-rear, thus enhancing stability and providing a form of self-levelling

US admirers of the marque once bitterly referred to Packard's demise as 'the marque we can not afford to lose'

Quote Originally Posted by nota
    Packard strengths for 1956 included a great V8 engine and their very own pushbutton automatic transmission, a well regarded unit called Ultramatic. Also perhaps the first availability in any production-car of the LSD, which complemented the (unique?) suspension system that featuring two longitudinal torsion bars that ran the length of the wheelbase and linked front-to-rear, thus enhancing stability and providing a form of self-levelling

US admirers of the marque once bitterly referred to Packard's demise as 'the marque we can not afford to lose'
    I think the Patrician I showed here had a conventional selector on the steering. You can actually see, on another pic that I have, the indicator scale, but that could also be used in connection with the Ultramatic (?). TheV8s were also supplied, in combination with the Ultramatic, to American Motors, to power the Nash and Hudson Eights. (not much relief their either )
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Yes, I guess the upmarket models were bequeathed with Packard's pushbutton selector system which btw proved none too reliable I am told, much less so than Chrysler's version of same

haha.. wanna long discussion about how Russians steal foreign designs?
    1959 GAZ 13 Chaika.

More. 1959 ZIL 111 & 1960 ZIL 111V (cabrio pic). Though the next generation ZIL, the 1963 111G (3rd pic), was much more similar to Cadillac.

Well, in 1959 Packard had gone, so nobody left to complain...

There were some Packard copies back in thirties, too)
    Last edited by faksta; 07-08-2007 at 10:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by faksta View Post
    did Packard complain?

Quote Originally Posted by faksta View Post
    I've been stupid mistaken. Not in thirties, of course, but in fourties. I mean the 1945 ZIS 110. Stalin just loved Packards and told to 'Make the car like this'. I don't think there were some complains that time
    Not my pic.

Quote Originally Posted by faksta
    I've been stupid mistaken. Not in thirties, of course, but in fourties.
    In 30s too! Not necessarily a Packard copy in particular, but American luxury cars in general. The ZIS 101/101A/102/102A, built 1936-1941. Around 8800 cars were made.
    It's not denial. I'm just very selective about the reality I accept.

Quote Originally Posted by go.pawel View Post
    In 30s too! Not necessarily a Packard copy in particular, but American luxury cars in general. The ZIS 101/101A/102/102A, built 1936-1941. Around 8800 cars were made.
    Yes, but this is Buick-like mostly

Slight correction

Studebaker didn't take over Packard in 1956. Packard and Studebaker merged
    in 1954 as part of a plan to further merge with AMC. That part of the plan
    fell apart. What was left was Packard as the senior partner combined with
    Studebaker. Unfortunately, Studebakers' financial condition was far worse
    than Packard knew. This caused the Studebaker-Packard Corp. to lose
    money in 1955 even though Packard division made a profit. Things just
    got worse in 1956, and S-P was aquired by Curtis-Wright which
    consolidated production in South Bend. A very sad end.

I remember when my Psychology professor talked about his Packard. He was talking about how if somebody was riding his ass, then he would pull the handbrake. But when he mentioned his Packard, he then said, "Well, you guys probably don't even know what the hell a Packard is!"

Ah, good times.
    "He who has overcome his fears will truly be free."

Quote Originally Posted by packard400 View Post
    Studebaker didn't take over Packard in 1956. Packard and Studebaker merged
    in 1954 as part of a plan to further merge with AMC. That part of the plan
    fell apart. What was left was Packard as the senior partner combined with
    Studebaker. Unfortunately, Studebakers' financial condition was far worse
    than Packard knew. This caused the Studebaker-Packard Corp. to lose
    money in 1955 even though Packard division made a profit. Things just
    got worse in 1956, and S-P was aquired by Curtis-Wright which
    consolidated production in South Bend. A very sad end.
    Thanks for the correction, I assumed that Studebaker was always in control, given that the final Packard was a modified Hawk, and none of the Packard models was rebadged Studebaker.

Thread Information