Thread: Making Pictures at the Smithsonian

Making Pictures at the Smithsonian

OK- Next month I will be taking a 3 day trip to DC. I know in general my settings for everything outside. Of course some things I will obviously have to change.

The tough part of the trip will be shooting at the Smithsonian museums. I know that photography is allowed almost everywhere in the museums I am going to- as it says so on their website. Tripods are forbidden. I will have 1-2 assisstants/family members with me.

Here is what I have now in terms of lighting-
    Nikon D80- its flash can wirelessly trigger other flashes.
    SB600- it can not trigger other flashes.

I was thinking about either getting 1 or 2 more SB600's to help light up the subjects. If I am to have more than 1 flash, I must use the built in flash, which is fine with me since it doesn't affect the exposure if set that way.

So if I got 2 extra flashes-bringing my total up to 3, I would have the camera in one hand, flash in the other, which is fine because I won't have to hold the camera really steady with all that light. Plus it's not like I will be using a 300mm lens indoors.

So- what do you think- 1 extra flash, 2 extra flashes, or something else?

Thanks for your help!

Are you sure flashes are allowed? I know the Metropolitan Museum of Art forbids flashes, but allows tripods if you fill out paperwork on certain days.

So your assistants will be your tripod stands and you'll trigger the flashes with the flash on the D80 right?

Sounds good, I guess. I don't do much flash photography, I don't own one yet, so I can't really say.

I'd stick with two off-camera flashes, and steer clear of the popup.

They generally allow flash wherever photography is allowed. You can take a tripod but you'll have to get in touch with the Public Affairs office at each museum.
    Turning money into memories.

@NSX
    My family members/assisstants will be my light stands, and I will trigger the flashes with the flash on the D80- most likely.
    @Rasmus
    I agree that 2 off camera flashes does sound a bit easier. I would only use the pop up flash to trigger the other flashes. You can set it to not affect exposure if you want. Should I only use 1 flash total, it would be an SB600 on the D80. I really don't feel like carrying a tripod around all day. I will bring it, but keep it at the hotel until I shoot during sunrise or sunset.

I sent Smithsonian an e-mail to make sure that I can use flash. I'll let you know ASAP after I find out.

My advice would be take one flash and only use your on-camera as a trigger, on-camera flash sucks unless its being used as an outdoor fill. Also avoid using flash on items behind glass, there is no way you will be able to get no glare unless you are very skilled with controlling light and flash. Also as a way to avoid direct flash if your flash does not have a built on fill card (or even if it does) to get better bounced light take a paper pie plate and rubber band it around your flash it will control the light better.

Quote Originally Posted by ScionDriver View Post
    My advice would be take one flash and only use your on-camera as a trigger, on-camera flash sucks unless its being used as an outdoor fill. Also avoid using flash on items behind glass, there is no way you will be able to get no glare unless you are very skilled with controlling light and flash. Also as a way to avoid direct flash if your flash does not have a built on fill card (or even if it does) to get better bounced light take a paper pie plate and rubber band it around your flash it will control the light better.
    Bounced light may be an issue, the ceilings are probably sort of high. But yeah, in general, I guess you could raise the angle a little bit.

Got an Email today from Smithsonian. Flash is allowed pretty much everywhere in the museums I am going to.
    I think that I am going to get 1 extra flash, for a total of 2.

@Scion
    Thanks for your input. I would only use the on camera flash as a trigger. I wouldn't have a clue on how to shoot things that are behind glass with flash. That paper plate idea is a great idea. I don't think my diffuser is good enough to use direct.

@NSX
    Yeh, the ceilings are really high in many of the museums. I would have to use some type of flash bouncer-like a paper plate.

Thanks

if they don't allow tripods, how about a monopod, it is of course not as stable, but does help. And of course use a angle as wide as you can, to reduce the need to faster shuttertimes.
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by NSXType-R View Post
    Bounced light may be an issue, the ceilings are probably sort of high. But yeah, in general, I guess you could raise the angle a little bit.
    Yes you are right which is why I suggest the paper plate idea (as dumb as it sounds it works quite well.

Thread Information