Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What to choose?

What to choose?

Im in the market for a new ride but im having trouble deciding which car i should go for. Ive narrowed it down to these three.
    99 - 01 Integra type r
    99 WRX
    97-99 200sx
    Only mods would be wheels, exhaust, suspension and possibly a computer.
    If anyone can add their two bob it would be appreciated. Also, if anyone wants to mention any other vehicles that are similar that would be sweet.
    Price range is roughly $22 max (Aus)

I should add that its a daily driver.
    Last edited by h22a; 04-12-2007 at 10:20 PM.
    RUF CTR Yellowbird is what dreams are made of

The Integra's going to feel the slowest, and probably actually be the slowest outright, driving around town. Its not turbocharged though, which could be a positive or a negative depending on what you want the car for, how you'll be able to maintain it etc.

I'd pick the WRX personally for the AWD
    I am the Stig

I love the 99 WRXs, great practical everyday cars with 4 doors, yet pack a punch and AWD. I'd go with that hands down.

i agree, i have no experience with WRX's but if you can put aside gas, thats probably the best. AWD makes up for its gas usage with cool!

I have to agree, if I had to choose between those 3 cars I'd go for the WRX. It's probably the fastest, has AWD and the practicality of 4 doors, perfect for a daily driver.

Quote Originally Posted by h22a View Post
    99 - 01 Integra type r
    best fuel mileage out of the three, lightest, one for the purists, easiest to insure etc etc.
    But you can't have one because i said so.
    99 WRX
    probably best all-rounder. targeted by thieves though. get this one. boxer rumble is cool.
    97-99 200sx
    depends, could end up looking lebanese. should be good. get one if you can't find a wrx for whatever reason.
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

mmm... i currently own a prelude i really love the metallic sound of vtec, though im a huge of fan of the boxer rumble. i reckon the type r would be the quickest round a track but the rex would be quicker in a straight line.

mmm... i currently own a prelude i really love the metallic sound of vtec, though im a huge of fan of the boxer rumble. i reckon the type r would be the quickest round a track but the rex would be quicker in a straight line.
    I doubt the front drive Type R would beat the AWD WRX around a track.

Quote Originally Posted by taz_rocks_miami View Post
    I doubt the front drive Type R would beat the AWD WRX around a track.
    you'd be suprised, it's not as difficult as you think. At the moment a stripped out CRX of all things is outlapping the standard evo's and WRX's at the sprints...
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

Quote Originally Posted by clutch-monkey View Post
    you'd be suprised, it's not as difficult as you think. At the moment a stripped out CRX of all things is outlapping the standard evo's and WRX's at the sprints...
    But you're talking about a purpose built car in that case. As far a street cars go, a FWD car will understeer more than the AWD WRX, even thought the WRX does understeer more than other performance oriented AWD cars.

But you're talking about a purpose built car in that case. As far a street cars go, a FWD car will understeer more than the AWD WRX, even thought the WRX does understeer more than other performance oriented AWD cars.
    the DC2 ITR in question is renowned for it's neutral handling... and being lighter has another advantage they were (still are) the king of the autocross tracks too it loses out only in straight line speed and refinement as far as i can tell.

Yes but think of weight and drivetrain loses. Furthermore the Impreza isn't the STI, so I wouldn't be surprised if it lost to the Integra on a dry track. When the grip is good 4WD doesn't make that much of a diference.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

agree'd, i watched footage recently of an ITR and a STI dueling on a track and to my utter surprise the ITR was holding its own very well only being beaten in straight line speed. I guess the subi driver might of sucked but it clearly looked like it was a close battle

I know this is a JDM version ITR but im assuming a jap spec STI would have a small power hike on its Aussie counterpart as well.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WuQ5DqFGvwA
    Last edited by h22a; 04-12-2007 at 11:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by clutch-monkey View Post
    the DC2 ITR in question is renowned for it's neutral handling... and being lighter has another advantage they were (still are) the king of the autocross tracks too it loses out only in straight line speed and refinement as far as i can tell.
    I've never driven or even read about the DC2 ITR's handling so I'll take your word for it's neutral handling. Even so, let's say that helps it equal the WRX in the handling department. The WRX's speed should give it the advantage on a road course IMO. We've overlooked one thing, braking. Handling possibly being equal, if the DC2 ITR can out brake the WRX, maybe that would nullify it's faster speed in the straights??

I've never driven or even read about the DC2 ITR's handling so I'll take your word for it's neutral handling. Even so, let's say that helps it equal the WRX in the handling department. The WRX's speed should give it the advantage on a road course IMO. We've overlooked one thing, braking. Handling possibly being equal if the DC2 ITR can out brake the WRX, maybe that would nullify it's faster speed in the straights??
    possibly; honda put a lot of work into the ITR making it's balance correct etc, the list of bespoke parts is pretty impressive to - considering it was basically their top performance vehicle at the time (discounting the NSX), whereas the WRX is middle of the range for subaru?
    but anyway in H22a's case the WRX is better for him because i told him he can't have a DC2 ITR.

Thread Information