Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Group B Rally

RS200 for me,

It didnt really acheive much, but it looked totally rhubarb doing it !!!

J.

My favorite Group B rally car is the Ford RS200. Such a beautiful car.

My favourite is the 205 T16. The worst Group B rally car has to be the Citroen BX TC
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Gt-One
    My favourite is the 205 T16. The worst Group B rally car has to be the Citroen BX TC
    No, sorry, the BX wasn't very succesful in international rallies but was reasonable on national events. This was because it was still a shell - unlike all the other GroupB cars - so was too long, too wide and too heavy. BUT was MUCH cheaper than the competition. It was the only 5 door car developed for GropuB and Citroen sadly got the formula wrong thinking that budget woudl mean many teams woudl purchase and use them in competition. teams only wanted to buy winning GropuB cars to compete in !!

THe worst, ABSOLUTE WORST GroupB goes to the 1985/6 Lada 2108 ( aka Samara ) mid-engine 4WD. Built in the Lada factory ( unlike EVERY other GroupB car which had a dedicated factory/assembly), the car was only ever used on course opening and the performance has NEVER been published it was so bad ( I've seen a quoted 150bhp !! ) Sorry about the quality of the attached picture. Scanners in use and the camera was to hand - taken from the Audo Rally yearbook #8

( A later attempt at prototype rally car the Samara-T3 did win events like Dakar, but it was raelly a Porsche with panels stuck on to look like a Lada - and NOT GRoupB )
    Last edited by Matra et Alpine; 02-23-2005 at 02:02 PM.
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Quote Originally Posted by ///M Power
    group b really did belong to all the fast, agile and light hatchbacks such as the T16 and 6R4, i bet they would still be able to beat almost any car in the WRC today.

odd that you should mention this; I read recently about who would beat who in a rally race. The B cars would simply own in the 80's, but in modern WRC races, they wouldn't be as competitive as you might think. modern races are too twisty, apparently to keep average speeds down. I wonder if it was here that I read that...

Regardless, Evo or Audi? I'd pick the evo, sadly enough....on a modern day course, that is. If it were a T16 (not big on peugot, regardless) I might just choose that.

My favorite group B car? I love the grunt of the Audi, and the Finesse of the RS200. The Delta S4 was awesome, and massively quick, but I think I would choose the 959, even though it didn't see much success. It was just awesome, even though I'm still not big on Porsches or rear engines.
    And Iraaaaaaaaaaaan

Iran's so far awaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay...

ROR

know what, I take that back. The 959 was cool, but a little too porsch-ed out for me. I'm gonna stick with the Audi, because it was retardedly fast. Retardedly being a very important word, as the design certainly was less than perfect, but it is such an impressive beast.

If they had actually raced the mid-engined prototype they had....HHMMMMMMMMMMMMM
    And Iraaaaaaaaaaaan

Iran's so far awaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay...

ROR

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine
    THe worst, ABSOLUTE WORST GroupB goes to the 1985/6 Lada 2108 ( aka Samara ) mid-engine 4WD. Built in the Lada factory ( unlike EVERY other GroupB car which had a dedicated factory/assembly), the car was only ever used on course opening and the performance has NEVER been published it was so bad ( I've seen a quoted 150bhp !! ) Sorry about the quality of the attached picture. Scanners in use and the camera was to hand - taken from the Audo Rally yearbook #8
    I never heard about that Lada and I agree that it is a lot worse then the BX. I knew the BX only did 2 rounds of the world championship because it wasn't competitive at all, because of its weight and relative little power.

Citroen did also make a group B version of the Visa didn't they?

I found a link to some high-res classic rally pictures (hope it isn't a repost)
    http://82.165.32.230/mcklein4/index....596&idb_page=1
    http://82.165.32.230/mcklein4/index....181&idb_page=1

there was also a Group B Mazda RX 7 that only weighed 850 kg but not enough money from mazda so it did not succed.

Don't know of any Visa GroupB - are you thinking "kit car" which was the gravel specials that are VERY well suported in France rallying ?

Oh and hte Mazda - this one ? Don't have any detailed specs on it though
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Quote Originally Posted by sandwich
    If they had actually raced the mid-engined prototype they had....HHMMMMMMMMMMMMM
    There are many rumours on what format the 002 Quattor might have taken.
    Do you have any pics/references on it being mid-engined ? I'm always trying to find out info on where Auti were going
    That they had a 1000hp engine for the S2 under development at the time of the demise of GroupB it was clearly meant for there and as GroupS was so much still just a paper exercise at the time, nothing had been 'built'. Unles you've got a reference that tells otherwise.

We all love GRoupB, BUT imagin what GroupS woudl have been like makes me all moist

i read it out of a popular book called 'rally cars' sorry no pics
    it was deffenently a group b car not a kit car 1 event i think

Quote Originally Posted by lukehow
    i read it out of a popular book called 'rally cars' sorry no pics
    it was deffenently a group b car not a kit car 1 event i think
    Nope. Audi had no car that was mid-engined.
    Can you please try to check back on the book if you can remember it ?
    if there is even the slightest hint that a prototype of their concept was built I'd like to chase it down. Thanks.

Surelly the Lancia Rally 037 is one of the most beautifull race cars ever made. And the way the engine sonds is just perfect. I also like the Ford RS 200 since it looks like the Lancia. Does anyone have pictures of these cars racing the Rali Vinho Madeira? I noticed that Stratos has some old and beautifull pictures.

did i already said 037 ????
    There is no terrible way of winning
    there is just winning

My favourites are the 205 T16 Evo 1 & 2, Audi Quattro S1 & S2, Ford RS200 and Lancia Stratos.

Pics I took at Historic Car Show 2005 last month:

Sadly, no T16
    http://www.rallystuff.tk

Thread Information