Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Car Culture of Today

Quote Originally Posted by johnnynumfiv
    The paper is about the influences(internet, magazines, movies, tv,etc.) of today on the car culture. It covers the effects of those influences and how the influences and information systems we have today have changed the car culture significantly.
    Then you first might want to properly define: car-culture before you go any further.....
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by johnnynumfiv
    The paper is about the influences(internet, magazines, movies, tv,etc.) of today on the car culture. It covers the effects of those influences and how the influences and information systems we have today have changed the car culture significantly.

+

=

[O o)O=\x/=O(o O]

The things we do for girls who won't sleep with us.

Patrick says:
    dads is too long so it wont fit
    so i took hers out
    and put mine in

Quote Originally Posted by henk4
    Then you first might want to properly define: car-culture before you go any further.....
    People that are into cars, gear heads, petrol heads I guess. I'm still working on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Waugh-terfall
    Yeah, all these fantastically cool cars eg RS6, E63AMG ML63AMG RS4 etc, all good for speed until the sodding 155mph electronic limiters...
    Have you ever driven at 155mph?
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer
    Have you ever driven at 155mph?
    yuhuh, not me driving.. obviously. I've been driven at 155mph, in.... GUESS WHAT!
    Last edited by Waugh-terfall; 12-06-2006 at 12:05 PM.
    V0R5PRU7NG DUR6CH T3CHN1K

Motion & Emotion

yuhuh, not me driving.. obviously. I've been driven at 155mph, in.... GUESS WHAT!
    A Beetle?
    Audi humbles Porsche. A new dawn starts today.

Being nice since 2007.

Thanks for contributing waugh-terfall.

Quote Originally Posted by Vaigra
    A Beetle?
    No... More along the lines of an Audi RS6+ Avant...

But it is about Car Culture... How everyones become so competetive over speed, they've all decided to limit their cars top speeds so they don't get at each others necks...

Motion & Emotion

I'd say that a key thing to hit on is hwo car culture changes. Make a point that somethings are a concrete part of it, eg: muscle cars/outrageous power, but many aspects are fickle and very fad-like, eg: spoilers that cause nothing but drag and exhaust components made of coffee cans.
    Go n-ithe an cat thu, is go n-ithe an diabhal an cat

When you go Home, Tell them for us and say 'For your tommorrow, We Gave Our Today.'

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Tiv
    I'd say that a key thing to hit on is hwo car culture changes. Make a point that somethings are a concrete part of it, eg: muscle cars/outrageous power, but many aspects are fickle and very fad-like, eg: spoilers that cause nothing but drag and exhaust components made of coffee cans.

or industrial chimney stacks

Motion & Emotion

I do believe that's called the 'Max Power' culture- making your car look like it has performance, then you open the bonnet and there's a K&N induction kit on the standard 1.2 engine. And that's it.

Then we have the 'Fast Businessman' culture, the man who buys the German speed machines, so he can look like he's a cool dude with his M5 parked outside the 'Country Pub Restaurant' and throw his keys onto the bar in an attempt to look cool (so many times I've been tempted to filch the keys...)

The 'Poor Beknighted Young Driver' culture, which I am part of- kids who want to go fast, but are limited by beasty insurance premiums. Luckily, we're coming up with ways past this- NOT chips off eBay for £3.50

The 'Nissan Micra' culture consists of middle-aged people who drive merely as a way to get from A to B, who buy cars that offer them absolutely nothing in return. They buy them for how bland they are. This is a huge culture, and they find it acceptable to drive at 30mph down 50mph/National Speed Limit Roads.

I will define more of these interesting beasts later.

No... More along the lines of an Audi RS6+ Avant...

But it is about Car Culture... How everyones become so competetive over speed, they've all decided to limit their cars top speeds so they don't get at each others necks...
    Erm no. The gentleman agreement was made in the late 80's to limit some fast german cars to 250km/h to keep the green party happy. Since then there have been exceptions, and not all the german manufacturers have applied it, and some foreign manufacturers have decided to have it (like Jaguar for instance). The first car to have the 250km/h limit was the BMW 750i in 1987.

By the way, IIRC, the RS6 Plus had the top speed raised to 280km/h.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

I don't really understand what your getting at Johnny. So you need to show how how the car culture of today has changed in response to society?

I suppose you could touch on changing industry standards, and materials used in production. Nothing these days is really made from steel and sweat like they were back in the day, and what we see on hot/ratrods today. Everything tends to be plastic, fiberglass, that ever so famous Carbon Fiber. Technology in general to, everyone wants to be safe and secure in their cars with families. I guess this is why they got bigger and fatter.
    John says:
    so i had to dump acid into the block tank today
    i'm afraid to fap
    cause i got it on my hands

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer
    Erm no. The gentleman agreement was made in the late 80's to limit some fast german cars to 250km/h to keep the green party happy. Since then there have been exceptions, and not all the german manufacturers have applied it, and some foreign manufacturers have decided to have it (like Jaguar for instance). The first car to have the 250km/h limit was the BMW 750i in 1987.

By the way, IIRC, the RS6 Plus had the top speed raised to 280km/h.
    This is true, but we didn't go that fast in it. Ran out of road...
    Oh yeah, green party, I knew there was something else.

Motion & Emotion

Quote Originally Posted by Quiggs
    The Japanese have some of the coolest enthusiast styles out there. Between VIP, Bozozuka, and those huge vans that look like rolling slot machines- they have the market cornered on crazy cool stuff.
    Oh yeah. Definitely. They make THE coolest minivans. IMO of course.

Thread Information