Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Honda Civic Type-R Concept 2006

Honda Civic Type-R Concept 2006

The Civic Type-R Concept Debuts at Geneva

When Honda unveils a new sports concept there is always a sense of anticipation and the new Civic Type R is no exception. To please all its fans, Honda engineers have designed a 'superhatch' to deliver blistering performance from the same power output as the previous incarnation (200 bhp). The aggressive, lower and wider-looking body encases a new 2.0 liter engine and the model, built in Britain, will go on sale in early 2007 priced around £18,000. Expect to see more 3 door versions at the London Motor Show in July.

What is a Type R?

The Type R name was introduced by Honda Motorcycles, where the letter R was added to conventional bike names to indicate a performance derivative. For example, the CB – a standard 4-cylinder across-the-frame bike – became the CB-R, a sporting model. One of the earliest Type R cars was the Honda NSX-R, a stripped-down, lightweight version of the NSX supercar. This was developed in response to claims the NSX did not have enough power to compete with rival cars from Porsche and Ferrari. The key factor in this argument – and a point proved by the NSX-R – was the importance of the power to weight ratio.

Type R Time-line

February 1992: NSX-R introduced. Weight is reduced by 265 lbs. Recaro seats and MOMO steering wheel fitted. Stiffer suspension adopted. Production limited to 1995 units. September 1995: Honda announces the launch of the DC2 Integra Type-R. The Integra Type-R is powered by the B18C 1.8-litre DOHC VTEC engine, specifically developed for the Integra Type-R, with 200 bhp at 8,000 rpm. Standard equipment includes a helical LSD, sports suspension, a front lip spoiler, a rear spoiler, alloy wheels, a leather wrapped MOMO steering wheel, Recaro seats, and a titanium shift knob.

August 1997: The EK9 Civic Type-R is launched in Japan. It is powered by an exclusively-developed 1.6-liter DOHC VTEC B16B engine that makes 185 bhp at 8,200 rpm. The lightweight B16B engine features a new valve system allowing higher engine speeds, reduced engine friction, improved breathing, and increased compression ratio. Main features of handling include increased body rigidity, reduced weight, sports suspension, torque-sensitive helical LSD, sports-tuned ABS, and Bridgestone Potenza RE010 tires.

Jan 1998: The Accord Type-R goes on sale in the UK, with a tweaked version of the H22A engine on board. In addition, the Accord Type-R boasts a limited-slip-diff, Recaro seats and a stiffer chassis.

July 2001: An updated version of the Integra Type-R (DC5) is launched for sale in Japan and USA. The special color of Championship White celebrates Honda’s first victory in F1. The DC5 Integra Type-R is powered by the K20A 2.0-liter DOHC i-VTEC engine with 220 bhp and a new 6-speed manual gearbox. The suspension adopts clever front suspension and reactive-link double wishbone rear suspension. The Integra Type-R is also equipped with Recaro front seats, a leather wrapped MOMO steering wheel, aluminum pedals, aluminum shift knob, exclusive aero parts and Brembo front brakes.

October 2001: A Type-R version of the 7th generation Civic is announced. It is built at Honda in the UK Manufacturing in Swindon, Wiltshire. The CTR – as it becomes known by enthusiasts – is powered by a 2.0-liter i-VTEC engine that produces 200 bhp. The Civic Type-R goes on to sell over 35,000 units and pick up numerous Hot Hatch of the Year awards.

February 2006: An all-new Civic Type R, based on a three-door version of the 2006 Civic is unveiled at Geneva Motor Show.

Honda Civic Type-R Concept #2:
    Attached Images Attached Images

that is spectacular. Brilliant job by Honda. It looks so small compared to its predecessor though?

it looks great.. if it drives as good as the New Civic, its a very good car..
    Walk down the river

- Cause the river dont run...

OK, I prefer that to the regular one straight away.

WOW.

I think it's the fact that it has a grille that clinches it for me... simple things!

It looks nice but it 'only' has 200BHP... that doesnt seem alot if you compare it to the Megane RS which has 225 and the mad Astra VXR 240...
    Do you think it will still be as fast and successful as the lat model???
    You type without knowledge, you are 'a keyboard warrior - lots of mouth, little brain....

looks great, but I agree, only 200 bhp

only 200hp? The Megane RS had 225 hp yes, but was never anywhere near the civic in terms of everything else. Considering the success of its predecessor, Honda know exactly what the perfect ingredients are for the ultimate hot hatch. Best of all, its the cheapest.

I don't know, it's definately an improvement, but way too boy-racer'ish.

Quote Originally Posted by Cotterik
    only 200hp? The Megane RS had 225 hp yes, but was never anywhere near the civic in terms of everything else. Considering the success of its predecessor, Honda know exactly what the perfect ingredients are for the ultimate hot hatch. Best of all, its the cheapest.
    1. We don't know yet if it's as fun to drive as the old one
    2. Considering that the "old" one had already 200bhp and that the weight has surely increased, you can imagine my deception.

how has the weight surely increased?

Quote Originally Posted by Cotterik
    how has the weight surely increased?
    old Civic 1.4i : 1122kg
    new Civic 1.4i : 1240 kg

maybe the type-R statistics will be different. But anyway, they wouldnt just add that extra weight for no reason. I seriously doubt it will reduce the cars performance.

Although 200 bhp is more than enough, the hp range should be ~225 w/ the torque at ~200. The redline better be 8000+ though.

Honda Civic Type-R Concept #3

Jenson's new ride
    Audi humbles Porsche. A new dawn starts today.

Being nice since 2007.

Thread Information