Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: "Your Mazda is nothing but an expensive Ford."

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine View Post
    and NOT British
    and not particularly good. even as a stout.
    Honor. Courage. Commitment. Etcetera.

Quote Originally Posted by cmcpokey View Post
    2 of my close friends swear by Guinness.

One of them is part Newf, the other part Irish.

No doubt.

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine View Post
    and NOT British
    Umm, yeah. Good call on that. I grouped that in there with the cars without thinking.

I'm not the biggest fan of the draft, but I do love the stout. I'm not saying there aren't other beers that I like as much, but none that I like more and most of them you can't get very reliably over here anyways.
    Big cities suck

"Not putting miles on your Ferrari is like not having sex with your girlfriend so she'll be more desirable to her next boyfriend." -Napolis

Quote Originally Posted by wwgkd View Post
    Umm, yeah. Good call on that. I grouped that in there with the cars without thinking.

I'm not the biggest fan of the draft, but I do love the stout. I'm not saying there aren't other beers that I like as much, but none that I like more and most of them you can't get very reliably over here anyways.
    try murphy's stout and samuel smith's oatmeal stout. both are better, and are pretty widely available.

It's always a nightmare whenever I go to Auto Zone to get something for my 1990 Volvo 740 Turbo. Their computer system doesn't list the Turbo model designation, so they always ask if mine is a GL or a GLE. "Neither", I respond, "It's a Turbo". One of the counter monkeys even tried to argue with me, basically saying my car doesn't exist. I asked him if he wanted to come outside and read the badge on the back, just to prove that it is a real car!

On another occasion, I needed some brake pads for my car. After going through the usual "No, it's NOT a GL or a GLE" nonsense, the counter monkey asks me if my car has 14 or 15 inch wheels. I tell him the car has 16 inch wheels. He rolls his eyes and says "What size wheels did the car originally have?" I inform him they are the original wheels fitted at the factory and that no 740 ever came with 14 inch wheels. Cue more grumbling from the half-witted moron behind the counter.

This last one really pissed me off. I was needing something for the 740 (I don't remember what) and told the counter monkey my Volvo has the SOHC 2.3 litre turbo engine. I even give him the specific Volvo engine code: B230FT. He's not able to find what I need on his computer so then he says "Well, that 2.3 is a Ford engine, so I'll try looking it up under the Ford section". I tell him it's not a Ford engine and that my car was built long before Ford and Volvo had anything to do with each other. He refuses to listen and insists that it's a Ford engine. After repeatedly trying to explain that it is NOT a Ford engine, I lean across the counter and look him dead in the eye and growl "There are no piece-of-sh1t Ford parts in my car!" He still refuses to listen, so I walk out.

I've tried to avoid Auto Zone ever since that last encounter. I have much better luck with Advance Auto Parts these days.

Cheers,
    Madman of the People

Quote Originally Posted by Madman View Post
    It's always a nightmare whenever I go to Auto Zone to get something for my 1990 Volvo 740 Turbo. Their computer system doesn't list the Turbo model designation, so they always ask if mine is a GL or a GLE. "Neither", I respond, "It's a Turbo". One of the counter monkeys even tried to argue with me, basically saying my car doesn't exist. I asked him if he wanted to come outside and read the badge on the back, just to prove that it is a real car!

On another occasion, I needed some brake pads for my car. After going through the usual "No, it's NOT a GL or a GLE" nonsense, the counter monkey asks me if my car has 14 or 15 inch wheels. I tell him the car has 16 inch wheels. He rolls his eyes and says "What size wheels did the car originally have?" I inform him they are the original wheels fitted at the factory and that no 740 ever came with 14 inch wheels. Cue more grumbling from the half-witted moron behind the counter.

This last one really pissed me off. I was needing something for the 740 (I don't remember what) and told the counter monkey my Volvo has the SOHC 2.3 litre turbo engine. I even give him the specific Volvo engine code: B230FT. He's not able to find what I need on his computer so then he says "Well, that 2.3 is a Ford engine, so I'll try looking it up under the Ford section". I tell him it's not a Ford engine and that my car was built long before Ford and Volvo had anything to do with each other. He refuses to listen and insists that it's a Ford engine. After repeatedly trying to explain that it is NOT a Ford engine, I lean across the counter and look him dead in the eye and growl "There are no piece-of-sh1t Ford parts in my car!" He still refuses to listen, so I walk out.

I've tried to avoid Auto Zone ever since that last encounter. I have much better luck with Advance Auto Parts these days.

Cheers,
    Madman of the People

Some of your story telling appears spurious--no one would ask you about a GL or GLE especialy for a Volvo---you either had a 740, 760, 850 or whatever is in Autozone database---few Volvos have letters behind their numbers in Autozone database. First of all, I once used to be an autozone monkey, if that makes you happy. If that guy told you that your car had 14 or 15 inch wheels, when asking about your brake pads, then he was right. Either your car has been modified in the past or you were trying to give the kid a hard time. Autozone loads up information into their system, directly from the auto manufacturers. However, i will admit that there are some autozone employees that do not need be behind the counters, at all.

By the way, 80% of those who come to autozone have no clue about the car they drive. Many don't even know if their car has 1 cylinder or 20 cylinders, or if ti runs on air or gasoline. Anytime you go to Autozone next time, if they are having a hard time finding your car in the database, give them your Vehicle Identification Number (VIN). This will pin-point the exact engine of your car. VIN does not lie. And in Autozone databse, engine size for the same model year of car, rarely shows differences in brake size. If you wanted OEM brakes which are always very good, why did you not take a trip to a FORD dealership?

And, there is a reason why autozone employees ask the questions they do. You may not beleive this, but auto manufacturers often change the parts of specific models built in the same year. I have seen Chrysler Sebrings built in one specific year with the same engine and transmissions, but with different air filters/intakes, and different oil filter sizes. Why auto manufacturers do this, is beyond anyone's imagination.

Finally, autozone's willingness to go out of their way to help customer's, sometimes attracts the most insane and rude customers anywhere on this planet. Most O'reilly stores do not offer a free check on your ECM if your check engine light comes on or even care to explain what those ECM codes really mean, they don't test starters, ignition control modules, and alternators outside of the car. And, neither Advanced Autoparts or O'reilly's has a battery as good as Duralast Gold (the yellow battery), with an 8 year warranty, which includes a 3 year free battery replacement, if anything happens to that battery.

With your attitude, if i was still at Autozone, i would have walked you out of the store in fairly short order, up to including calling 911 to haul your behind to a slammer to cool off for a few hours. You are lucky the kid you talked to tolerated your belligerant attitude.
    Last edited by G35COUPE; 01-26-2010 at 10:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by G35COUPE View Post
    Some of your story telling appears spurious
    POT, this is kettle, come in. POT, do you read, over
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

G35, why do you capitalize all the letters in the word Ford?

Quote Originally Posted by Kitdy View Post
    G35, why do you capitalize all the letters in the word Ford?
    probably because he was trying to imply Madman has a Ford era Volvo, which if he had actually read Madman's post, he would realize that he sounded like a fool.

and fwiw, volvo did change a lot between varying engine sizes in the same series, and then even more between trim lines. wife had a 940 turbo, so have some experience with them, albeit very little since she got rid of it before she moved in with me.

I think G35's reply is the final blow for everyone who considers going to Autozone. If a former employee defends the behaviour experienced by Madman, this company is truly a lost case.
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Some of your story telling appears spurious--no one would ask you about a GL or GLE especialy for a Volvo---you either had a 740, 760, 850 or whatever is in Autozone database---few Volvos have letters behind their numbers in Autozone database. First of all, I once used to be an autozone monkey, if that makes you happy. If that guy told you that your car had 14 or 15 inch wheels, when asking about your brake pads, then he was right. Either your car has been modified in the past or you were trying to give the kid a hard time. Autozone loads up information into their system, directly from the auto manufacturers. However, i will admit that there are some autozone employees that do not need be behind the counters, at all.

By the way, 80% of those who come to autozone have no clue about the car they drive. Many don't even know if their car has 1 cylinder or 20 cylinders, or if ti runs on air or gasoline. Anytime you go to Autozone next time, if they are having a hard time finding your car in the database, give them your Vehicle Identification Number (VIN). This will pin-point the exact engine of your car. VIN does not lie. And in Autozone databse, engine size for the same model year of car, rarely shows differences in brake size. If you wanted OEM brakes which are always very good, why did you not take a trip to a FORD dealership?
    Of course, the guy who joined a car forum knows ABSOLUTELY nothing about his car.
    I'm dropping out to create a company that starts with motorcycles, then cars, and forty years later signs a legendary Brazilian driver who has a public and expensive feud with his French teammate.

probably because he was trying to imply Madman has a Ford era Volvo, which if he had actually read Madman's post, he would realize that he sounded like a fool.

and fwiw, volvo did change a lot between varying engine sizes in the same series, and then even more between trim lines. wife had a 940 turbo, so have some experience with them, albeit very little since she got rid of it before she moved in with me.
    Indeed:
    If you wanted OEM brakes which are always very good, why did you not take a trip to a FORD dealership?
    This says it all.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

There are so many things wrong with that last post, g35coupe (I refuse caps lock because YOUR USERNAME YELLS AT ME), coupled with a complete lack of understanding of the issue (and indeed the car) that you probably shouldn't have said anything.

You're only going to make it worse.
    <cough> www.charginmahlazer.tumblr.com </cough>

Quote Originally Posted by IBrake4Rainbows View Post
    There are so many things wrong with that last post, g35coupe (I refuse caps lock because YOUR USERNAME YELLS AT ME), coupled with a complete lack of understanding of the issue (and indeed the car) that you probably shouldn't have said anything.

You're only going to make it worse.
    Your volvo is nothing more then an expensive, vol, vo.. There i said it.
    IT'S OFFICIAL. I'M A SUZUKI KIZASHI SPORT FAN-BOY.

what stops me from buying this over a XR6 SV6 ?. drive-train. place a little wrx evo magic under the bonnet and i'm sold!.

Don't go to autozone and yell at the workers there, okay. Its that simple. They are human beings like you too. Period.

Thread Information