Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Porsche 991 911 RSR 2013

Porsche 991 911 RSR 2013

Porsche 911 RSR 2013

Porsche has developed a new GT race car for the World Endurance Championship (WEC) and the Le Mans 24 Hours. The new 911 RSR is characterised by consequent lightweight design and sophisticated aerodynamics. The exceptional vehicle styling honours a very special anniversary: From a bird's eye perspective, the numbers 50 and 911 are visible. These stand for 50 years of the Porsche 911. The Porsche AG Team Manthey works squad exclusively fields two Porsche 911 RSR in the 2013 season.

The new 911 RSR, which is based on the seventh generation of the iconic 911 sports car, follows in the footsteps of its successful predecessor, the 911 GT3 RSR. As with the production vehicle, the wheelbase grew by about ten centimetres. A new wishbone front suspension replaces the previously used McPherson struts. Another new development from Porsche Motorsport is the particularly lightweight racing gearbox. The six gears are selected via paddles on the steering wheel. The 460 hp, 4.0-litre six-cylinder boxer engine was taken from the predecessor and optimised in detail.

One of the priorities in the development of the new 911 RSR was the more evenly balanced weight distribution. The centre of gravity is also significantly lower than that of its predecessor. Carbon fibre played a crucial role in the new design. The front and rear mudguards, front and rear lids, doors, underbody, wheel arches, rear wing, dashboard and centre console are constructed from the very light and strong material. Moreover, all windows are made of particularly thin and light polycarbonate. Also contributing to the weight reduction is the lithium-ion battery known from the GT road-legal models.

The look of the new 911 RSR is dominated by the flared mudguards and the deep cooling air intakes at the front. With the new air ducting, the radiator is now centrally-located in the front and even more effective than in the previous model. At the same time, the cockpit air conditioning became more efficient. The quick-change concept of the body parts was specially adapted for endurance racing, allowing for easier maintenance and shorter repair times. The front end, front lid and rear panel are fitted with quick release systems and can be replaced within seconds.

Competing in the Porsche 911 RSR with starting number 92 are Porsche works drivers Marc Lieb (Germany) and Richard Lietz (Austria), who already shared a cockpit in the 2012 WEC. At the first two races of the season in Silverstone (14.4) and Spa (4.5) as well as at the 24 Hours of Le Mans (22.6), they receive support from their works driver colleague Romain Dumas (France). Factory pilots also drive the #91 sister car, with Joerg Bergmeister (Germany) and Patrick Long (USA) making up a team. In Silverstone, Spa and Le Mans, the duo is joined by Timo Bernhard (Germany).

http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/car/5461/Porsche-911-RSR.html
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Sorry if I cannot express myself correctly, but I don't know English as good as I want, so my answers will probably be the same in many cases.

Porsche 911 RSR 2013 #02
    Sorry if I cannot express myself correctly, but I don't know English as good as I want, so my answers will probably be the same in many cases.

Roll on GT racing and 997!

The livery is bad, but that's ok.

For the last two years I've noticed that GT racers are opting to a paddlebox instead of the sequential shift knob. Anyone know why this is? It's fine for prototypes and F1 but it seems to be out of place in a GT car.

I 'spoze if the regulations allow it then it is easier to shift using paddles to operate a sequential box as opposed to using a gearshift to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by LTSmash View Post
    For the last two years I've noticed that GT racers are opting to a paddlebox instead of the sequential shift knob. Anyone know why this is? It's fine for prototypes and F1 but it seems to be out of place in a GT car.
    I think it started with Ferrari. They lobbied to have paddle shifter legal since none of the their road car uses anything else. Then with that they have to allow it on all the other cars....
    University of Toronto Formula SAE Alumni 2003-2007
    Formula Student Championship 2003, 2005, 2006
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

Quote Originally Posted by RacingManiac View Post
    I think it started with Ferrari. They lobbied to have paddle shifter legal since none of the their road car uses anything else. Then with that they have to allow it on all the other cars....
    Call me oldschool... but this is, well... stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by Kitdy View Post
    The livery is bad, but that's ok.
    The livery is plain vile.

If they wanted to make a tribute to the 50th anniversary they'd better paint it orange...
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by LTSmash View Post
    Call me oldschool... but this is, well... stupid.
    No more stupid I think than using a sequential stick on a car that doesn't have a stick....early F430 GT cars were like that...

Besides its a racecar, at the end of the day they don't have any real meaning to you and me.....
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

No more stupid I think than using a sequential stick on a car that doesn't have a stick....early F430 GT cars were like that..
    Elaborate more on what you're saying here? "A sequential stick on a car that doesn't have a stick." I'm having trouble picturing what you mean.

Before all the GT racing car went to paddle shifter, they came with a push-pull sequential shifting stick, which may or may not be in the same location as a regular car's shifter, and its no more road car relavent....
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

Before all the GT racing car went to paddle shifter, they came with a push-pull sequential shifting stick, which may or may not be in the same location as a regular car's shifter, and its no more road car relavent....
    Ohh, I see what you mean. I was a little confused as to what you meant reading your first post.

Porsche 911 RSR 2013 #03

So that's actually the race livery? Not some temporary promo/release livery? God...

The GT3 RSR Hybrid factory livery was dope.

Thread Information