Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dakar Rally Cancelled

Dakar Rally Cancelled

BBC SPORT | Motorsport | Rallying | Safety concerns end Dakar Rally

The 2008 Dakar Rally has been cancelled because of safety concerns in the African republic of Mauritania.

Four French tourists were murdered in Mauritania on 24 December, which led to the French government advising against any travel to the country.

Nine of the rally's stages were due to pass through Mauritania.

The annual car and motorcycle marathon had been due to start in Lisbon on 5 January with the finish coming in Dakar on 20 January.

The head of sport for France Televisions, the organisation that was due to broadcast the event, confirmed the cancellation.

"If the slightest incident had happened, it would have been the credibility of the Amaury Sport Organisation (organisers) that would have been at stake," said Daniel Bilalian.
    If you should see a man walking down a crowded street talking aloud to himself, don't run in the opposite direction, but run towards him, because he's a poet. You have nothing to fear from the poet - but the truth.

(Ted Joans)

I guess that means VW will have to wait another year ...
    If you should see a man walking down a crowded street talking aloud to himself, don't run in the opposite direction, but run towards him, because he's a poet. You have nothing to fear from the poet - but the truth.

(Ted Joans)

Just read this on a Dutch website (amazingly our media is quick for once). What a bummer. I was really looking forward to it... Don't even want to know the financial implications..

I would imagine everybody has insurance for this type of situation.

(Ted Joans)

Quote Originally Posted by Wouter Melissen View Post
    I would imagine everybody has insurance for this type of situation.
    Actually not. This morning I read in a Dutch newspaper(AD) that insurers don't want to insure for that..

O_O

Damn. All the more reason to hate the ****heads who kill people and cause mayhem for their own agendas...

Quote Originally Posted by pimento View Post
    O_O

Damn. All the more reason to hate the ****heads who kill people and cause mayhem for their own agendas...
    I do think that continent has bigger fish to fry than making sure the Dakar can be held.

(Ted Joans)

I do think that continent has bigger fish to fry than making sure the Dakar can be held.
    Maybe they would have liked some garlic with the fish ?

I don't know how much of a problem it would have been, but since four french people were killed by rebels/looters a entire country is unsafe.. Seems a bit far-fetched honestly. AFAIK they would also have gotten army protection..

Geez, i read on Autosport maybe a week ago that the rally organisors were planning to go ahead with the event, despite the events in Mauritania. How things change so quickly.
    I am the Stig

Exactly, even 2 days ago the organizers were assuring that the rally wouldn't be cancelled, despite some safety concerns. In my opinion cancelling the Dakar is a huge mistake. The first and utmost rule of dealing with terrorists is for me not to let them decide on anything, not to surrender to any threats. It would be enough to assign some troops to protect the participants. The French Foreign Legion and the Spanish Legion are particularly experienced in desert opperations, the Spaniards are even stationed in northern Africa.
    It's not denial. I'm just very selective about the reality I accept.

Quote Originally Posted by go.pawel View Post
    It would be enough to assign some troops to protect the participants. The French Foreign Legion and the Spanish Legion are particularly experienced in desert opperations, the Spaniards are even stationed in northern Africa.
    Do you want to be the one to explain to one of the soldier's parents that their son died because some idiots wanted to race around the desert? The safety of the participants and the organization, is a matter of the organization. As soon as third and foreign parties are needed for security, something is really wrong.

(Ted Joans)

Do you want to be the one to explain to one of the soldier's parents that their son died because some idiots wanted to race around the desert? The safety of the participants and the organization, is a matter of the organization. As soon as third and foreign parties are needed for security, something is really wrong.
    So you consider the racers idiots?

What's the difference if a soldier dies this way or any other? If there's any reason for maintaining armed forces, it must be this one - providing safety of citizens It's far more important imo than, let's say, peacekeeping/occupation/whatever missions in the Middle East. What more, it's a matter of principles - a clear sign for terrorists that they can stick their bombs up their asses, because the civilised part of the society will do all they can to prevent any attacks.

So you consider the racers idiots?
    Well, yes. The Dakar is hardly for the sensible.
    What's the difference if a soldier dies this way or any other? If there's any reason for maintaining armed forces, it must be this one - providing safety of citizens It's far more important imo than, let's say, peacekeeping/occupation/whatever missions in the Middle East. What more, it's a matter of principles - a clear sign for terrorists that they can stick their bombs up their asses, because the civilised part of the society will do all they can to prevent any attacks.
    Clearing the path for a bunch of foreigners, who have no real need to be there other than for their own pleasure and greater glory, is hardly a reason for maintaining armed forces. I'd reckon protecting the local civilians is the top priority for any army.

(Ted Joans)

Safety has priority: Volkswagen respects “Dakar” cancellation
    Wolfsburg (4 January 2008). It is with great regret that Volkswagen acknowledges the cancellation of the 30th Dakar Rally. "The safety of every single participant has absolute priority and for this reason Volkswagen completely and utterly endorses the decision made by the organisers ASO to cancel the start of the Dakar Rally originally scheduled for 5 January,” explains Dr Ulrich Hackenberg, Board Member with responsibility for Technical Development at Volkswagen. "We are obviously very unhappy about the cancellation, since we prepared for this rally for an entire year and were extremely well equipped for this sporting challenge.”

Volkswagen Motorsport Director Kris Nissen underlines: "We fully respect the decision for safety purposes, which also have absolute priority for us. The cancellation is a great disappointment for every member of the Volkswagen Motorsport team, particularly as everybody was looking forward to starting this peaceful and fair sporting competition.”

At midday on Friday, 4 January 2008 the "Dakar” organisers ASO officially announced that the rally will be not be held due to the significant safety concerns voiced by the French Government regarding the stages in Mauritania. The start of the 30th Dakar Rally was scheduled for 5 January 2008 in Lisbon. The "Dakar” should have finished, as is tradition, after 15 stages and approximately 9,300 kilometres in the Senegalese capital city on 20 January.

(Ted Joans)

Well, yes. The Dakar is hardly for the sensible.
    Why so?

Quote Originally Posted by Wouter Melissen
    Clearing the path for a bunch of foreigners, who have no real need to be there other than for their own pleasure and greater glory, is hardly a reason for maintaining armed forces. I'd reckon protecting the local civilians is the top priority for any army.
    They're not foreigners. A majority of participants comes from the EU countries, therefore the European armed forces (such as proposed by me FFL or La Legion) are perfectly suitable for this task. I guess that protecting the locals should be priority of the local forces. Not to mention that I don't see any conflict between protecting the rally participants and the security of locals.
    Furthermore, you seem to have missed my point. It's not about this rally or other, it's a matter of principles. Just like you don't negotiate with terrorists, you don't surrender to them. Every case of apparent victory makes them stronger.
    Last edited by go.pawel; 01-04-2008 at 07:09 AM.

Thread Information