Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What don't you like about the Dodge Viper

What don't you like about the Dodge Viper

I want to know what you guys don't like about the new Dodge Viper STR(2003). I want to hear some of your reasons other than "i don't like roadsters". For example i wish it had more than just 2 valves per cylender and i think that 8.7L engine is a big to big for a V10 considering that most V12 are 6.0L
    Must learn more.

they changed it!

why on earth alter the looks of this car? It's absolutely-F-ing incredible! performance was good, and still is, but jesus H. Christ why would you destroy the curves of this car? it reminds me of the way I like my women, long, mean, sexy with a lot of curves, and lots of displacem-...er, power I don't like the lines of the new viper...it looks too harsh, and much less smoooooove.

While I understand the arguement that a smaller engine can produce as much or more power than a larger one, (ie 503 8.2vs. 6L), but the smaller engine means much higher revs. I've never been in or driven a viper, but I bet the power/torque curve comes on A LOT faster than a Macky or enzo.

And two valves versus 19,342 on whatever ubercar is out there...the pushrod engine just works....still...and has been for a long time. Let's not get into the arguement of pushrod vs. overhead cam...each has it's merits. I think for pure racing, DOHC is better because it allows more tunability and peak power at certain rpms...but for street, OHV can be just as good if not better...

here's a bit of useless trivia...the new viper has the largest displacement engine of any production car since the 1976 cadillac eldorado's 502 8.2L engine..
    Attached Images Attached Images
    And Iraaaaaaaaaaaan

Iran's so far awaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay...

ROR

Good answer- i really not a fan of American car but the toque on that baby impresses me yet if i had the money i would still buy an M5. There more to an Car (performance wise) than Hp and torque. I don't mean to make this a thread of ehich cars you like more than a Viper but i think it wil help me prove my point. For example the M5 ( i choose it because the prices are similar) has a V8 with 400 Hp and it still can beat it in a race. Especially since im not cofident about the Viper weight distribution and overall turning. Also yea a bigger Engine help with revs but come on 8.7L i mean Diablos are 5.0-6.0 and they are some of the greatest cars ever also the Enzo and F50 are huge in the Liters and they are also some of the best cars.

But im not a car pro this this may seem like im pulling crap out of my ass
    Must learn more.

Well, the engine is crazy, but I think there could be better solutions for it. But the Viper isn't about like or dislike, it's about love or hate.
    Would it be possible, to play forever?
    The conclusion reached was that a player is inevitably doomed to lose.

Quote Originally Posted by HBoss
    Well, the engine is crazy, but I think there could be better solutions for it. But the Viper isn't about like or dislike, it's about love or hate.
    what would those solutions be?
    Must learn more.

Vipers are great in my books... they excel at everything they were designed to do, and they look good to boot. I've had the pleasure of watching a Silver GTS next to me floor it at a stoplight. Wasn't racing or anything, so I guess he was just enjoying himself

I'm not a huge fan of the looks and size of the SRT-10, though. Give me an old GTS, though... Blue with the white racing stripes option.

Vipers grew on me, at first i didn't like them because they were so new and they kicked too much ass, now i think they are awseme and still kick ass.

i saw a white viper once at a car show in indianapolis.
    Wenn Sie wissen wollen, was einen volkswagen ein volkswagen macht, treibt es.

Quote Originally Posted by Egg Nog
    Vipers are great in my books... they excel at everything they were designed to do, and they look good to boot. I've had the pleasure of watching a Silver GTS next to me floor it at a stoplight. Wasn't racing or anything, so I guess he was just enjoying himself

I'm not a huge fan of the looks and size of the SRT-10, though. Give me an old GTS, though... Blue with the white racing stripes option.
    I agree. They are unique. I dont mind the styling change as long as they retained the overall philosophy. Good thing is they will be coming to Oz in limited nubers so I will see and more importantly hear a few with some luck.
    "A string is approximately nine long."
    Egg Nogg 02-04-2005, 05:07 AM

Love vipers. Once saw a 1992 Viper GTS White with blue stripes (best scheme IMHO) and at auction in town. Personally I think the new viper needs to have a coupe option because I would say at the ridculous speeds a viper gets up to you would need a bit of sound proofing. I do think the old Viper looks better but whos complaining, i'd be happy with either one..

I had the distinct pleasure of blowing the doors clean off a blue w/white stripes GTS at the track with my Roadrunner a few yrs ago, luckily for me we were not going for a top speed run, braking comp (drums on all 4 corners w/no assist) and there are no corners other than the turn off lanes (which I always chose the 2nd 1, again drum brakes ).

I say it was a pleasure because the guy apparently had a fast car and a faster mouth, truth be known, I used, but denied using nitrous on that pass, just didn't want to chance a loss ... call it dishonesty, or even cheating but there was bragging rights on the line ... for me anyway.

vipers are great !! amazing performance and killer looks! i like the newer design more than the old one, although i think its a bit too long.
    u know what i find kinda funny though ?!! how the 3.6 Porsche 911 Turbo is faster to 100mph than the 8.3 Viper SRT-10 !!
    i know the 911 has twin turbos onits dohc flat-6 but its a bit heavier than the Viper which has better power and torque to weight ratios.
    anyways, i dont wanna turn this into a viper versus porsche comparo, but i think the viper's exterior proportions could decrease a bit. the interior could get more attention and i read that the fit and finish isnt that great.
    ----R.I.P----
    "Misho Ratio"
    2003 - 2004

Quote Originally Posted by KarateBoy
    For example the M5 ( i choose it because the prices are similar) has a V8 with 400 Hp and it still can beat it in a race. Especially since im not cofident about the Viper weight distribution and overall turning. Also yea a bigger Engine help with revs but come on 8.7L i mean Diablos are 5.0-6.0 and they are some of the greatest cars ever also the Enzo and F50 are huge in the Liters and they are also some of the best cars.
    An stock M5 cannot beat a Viper in a race my friend. Not in a straight line, not around a track. Also, Vipers were 8.0L, the new SRT/10 is 8.3L. The large displacement provides tons of torque, 525lb-ft in the SRT/10. Even in the old Viper, there is no problem taking off in 3rd gear and shifting to 6th at 30mph, and driving like that. In terms of revving, it obviously can't rev up as fast as those smaller displacement Ferrari engines, and its redline is only 6000rpm. I would call an F50's 4.7L engine tiny compared to the Viper's.

So everyone loves vipers? Especially engine wise? What about the handling- if it was a very winding course could a M5 beat a viper?
    Must learn more.

So everyone loves vipers? Especially engine wise? What about the handling- if it was a very winding course could a M5 beat a viper?
    No. Who gave you the impression that the 4000lb M5 sedan handles better than a Viper? It will be blown out of the water by a Viper.

BMW M5
    Curb Weight: 3957 lbs
    0-60 mph: 4.9 sec
    0-100 mph: 11.3 sec
    Quarter Mile: 13.3 sec @ 108 mph
    Skidpad: .90g
    Top Speed: 155 mph (limited)
    Braking, 60-0 mph: 129 ft
    Slalom Speed: 64.7 mph

Dodge Viper SRT-10
    Curb Weight: 3380 lbs
    0-60 mph: 3.9 sec
    0-100 mph: 8.3 sec
    Quarter Mile: 11.77 sec @ 123.6 mph
    Skidpad: 1.05g
    Top Speed: 190 mph
    Braking, 60-0 mph: 97 ft
    Slalom Speed: 70.4 mph

I want to know what you guys don't like about the new Dodge Viper STR(2003). I want to hear some of your reasons other than "i don't like roadsters". For example i wish it had more than just 2 valves per cylender and i think that 8.7L engine is a big to big for a V10 considering that most V12 are 6.0L
    i dont like the safty rating *shivering*
    There is 3 people on a boat with loads of children running around it, the 3 people are: 1. Bob geldof, 2. Ozzy Osbourne, and 3. Micheal jackson, they're sailing out for the G8 live aid, they've hit a rock and they're sinking, bob says: "save the children!" ozzy says: "Fuc the children!"

Micheal says "have we got time?"

Thread Information