Thread: World's Fastest Street Car....

10 minutes from Lingenfelter's... aren't you jealous?

World's Fastest Street Car....

Any body know what the fastest street car ran in the 1/4? I know HOT ROD did a special and had ashootout between the 50 fastest street cars in America. They had a set of rules to ensure they were street cars:

-all cars ran on 93 octane pump gas.
    -the drivers could not add or change anything on the cars from the hotel they stayed at to the track the next day or at the track exept tire prussure.
    -all cars had run on one set of DOT approved tires.
    -all car had to have 2 paded seats (driver and passenger), carpeted ceiling and floor and door panels.
    -the VIN had to match that on the title.

I think the winner ran a 9.8 or so, a '66 chevelle if I remember right, and the owner said it had a 98% original interior!

That is quick, not fast.
    Thanks for all the fish

i would think this may be the quickest...

http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/forum...ead.php?t=6103
    "WHEN IT'S GAME TIME, IT'S PAIN TIME TIME BABY! WOOOH" ~ Terry Tate

Jesse james has an old street rod with a 426 hemi in it, it does 8 seconds in the 1/4. Its incredibly far away from stock, so i guess it wouldn't count.
    "We went to Wnedy's. I had chicken nuggest." ~ Quiggs

Yes, the LPE 427TT would have to take the cake here.

Californian by nature, living in Teggsas.
    I'm shooting for mid-12's with the next incarnation of my Stang. But that's a loooooong way off yet. I could easily go faster, but I want it to not only be street legal, but stay on as my daily driver.
    An it harm none, do as ye will

Approximately 79% of statistics are made up.

Quote Originally Posted by jcp123
    I'm shooting for mid-12's with the next incarnation of my Stang. But that's a loooooong way off yet. I could easily go faster, but I want it to not only be street legal, but stay on as my daily driver.
    What type of hp would that require. For reliability, isn't it advisable to not exceed 1-1.2 hp/cubic inch of displacement. Beyond, that not only are you going to get a peaky engine but one that might not handle the daily grind very well.

IIRC, you have a 289 that's been stroked to a 302?
    "Racing improves the breed" ~Sochiro Honda

Quote Originally Posted by PerfAdv
    What type of hp would that require. For reliability, isn't it advisable to not exceed 1-1.2 hp/cubic inch of displacement. Beyond, that not only are you going to get a peaky engine but one that might not handle the daily grind very well.

IIRC, you have a 289 that's been stroked to a 302?
    I'm looking at a .030 351W (that makes approximately 357ci total) built out to around 430hp, so that's almost exactly 1.2hp/ci. I definitely took my time to make sure it wasn't too peaky; according to Engine Analyzer 3.0, that bad boy is still cranking out well over 250lb-ft of torque at 2000 rpm (274lb-ft as a matter of fact, I think), helped greatly by using a roller camshaft as opposed to a flat tappet setup. If I recall, it made 427hp @ 6000rpm and 420lb-ft @ 4500rpm, or something like that.

As an alternative, I also made up a 370hp 302, but that ended up being a little more high-revving than I wanted, power peak came on at 6500.

The 302 utilized the EXACT same block as the 289, but uses a .13" longer stroke (3.00" vs. 2.87"). Hence you will see a lot of road racers use 289's for their motors, since all the 302 parts work, and the shorter stroke of course means they can easy rev well in excess of 7500rpm all day.

PS - what does IIRC mean?
    Last edited by jcp123; 11-09-2004 at 09:13 PM.

Sounds nice. Awesome, if your daily commute isn't going to hurt you gas mileage wise. Isn't this going to be a lot of power for your style of driving. I mean, you've always said you mostly like to just cruise. I have a feeling if you build it your driving will change

IIRC-if I recall correctly
    "Racing improves the breed" ~Sochiro Honda

Quote Originally Posted by PerfAdv
    Sounds nice. Awesome, if your daily commute isn't going to hurt you gas mileage wise. Isn't this going to be a lot of power for your style of driving. I mean, you've always said you mostly like to just cruise. I have a feeling if you build it your driving will change

IIRC-if I recall correctly
    Yeah, I'll probably tear ass more often, but I intend to get a Cad to share the driving duties with, too, that way I have a ride for every mood. As much as I love to just let it ride, there's days where nothing else but speed and a stickshift will do. I figure on adding cruise, and then I can point it down the freeway turning over ~1800rpm at 60mph and cruise pretty well.

It goes deeper than that though. This is my first project car, so naturally it also carries with it sentimental meaning; then, since it's a Mustang, no sense trying to luxo it, might as well build it for speed since that's what Mustangs are supposed to be for.

I estimate my MPG to be around 15, actually. I am going to back it up with a 5-speed manual, and the car weighs right around 3000 lbs, so with favorable gear ratios and the lack of weight, it shouldn't hurt me in the walletal area too much more when it comes to gas.

have u guys heard of that twin turbo camaro that went at a top speed of like 289 mph??? i saw it on a commercial where the guy who made the engine was advertising his products...i think he also made a twin turbo chevy pick up and went like 220 mph...u guys heard of it?

The twin-engined Tiger is the fastest 0-60, I've not seen any 1/4 mile times for it though and none of the kit guys knwo.

Anyone seen 1/4 times for it ??
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Fyi

I have owned a LPE TT 650 with a few mods I will say that my vette went in the 9.3's with ET's and 10.0's on nittos I could drive 60 miles from my house to the track and wack off a 9 sec 1/4 mile and drive back home in that car, it was truly sick. I sold it when I decided after a night of drinking that I was going to end up dead in that car, a friend and I broke 190 on a freeway in houston killing a "bullet bike" while drunk. There are some cars that are faster and driven ont he street around.

Thread Information