Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Future of the photo comps

I say to allow editing as long as it's not absurd. And, like Ingolstadt said, the photographer has to state what has been edited.

Once voting comes, the people can decide if the photograph is the best for its compositional value, or because the person who edited it is a master of photoshop. I know if I saw two photos of brilliant quality, with one having little to no editing, and the other being heavily editing.. I know I'd vote for the unedited.

Plus, even if you ban editing alltogether, people are going to edit anyway because it's hard to detect sometimes and easy to do.

Plus, even if you ban editing alltogether, people are going to edit anyway because it's hard to detect sometimes and easy to do.
    Exactly. This way the rules are also much clearer as to what is allowed and not. Like before RAW-editing was allowed and JPG-editing not. What the heck. In RAW you can basically edit the entire picture, except putting things in.. They were very confusing, which offcourse also sparked a lot of debate.

Don't get me wrong. It's not like I am promoting this because it is also (partly) my own opinion. It's simply because it seems to me the best way to organise these comps, creating the least orgisational problems and ever on-going debate.

Quote Originally Posted by Rockefella View Post
    I say to allow editing as long as it's not absurd.
    What is classified as absurd?

An editing comp is not about photography anyway, it is about how good you are at using Photoshop.
    Miscommunication seems to be a direct result of misplaced, text based sarcasm.

Quote Originally Posted by #1 Mustang Fan View Post

An editing comp is not about photography anyway, it is about how good you are at using Photoshop.
    If it was an editing comp, then yes, but I was referring to the general/automotive photography competitions which have and should be based on the merits of the photograph, and not the mouse work in photoshop.

i think the vote is clear, no editing whats-so-ever. If someone chooses to try to hide editing in their photo, then shame be on them.

If it was an editing comp, then yes, but I was referring to the general/automotive photography competitions which have and should be based on the merits of the photograph, and not the mouse work in photoshop.
    Um sorry, what are you saying yes to?

Quote Originally Posted by Ingolstadt View Post
    A good photographer can visualize a wonderful photo in their mind - that's the ultimate form of photography know-how; merely knowing how to operate a camera by turning dials and adjusting ISOs or placing them on a tripod is not the essential thing about photography.
    Unfortunately some people seem to forget that, especially in the Auto comp.
    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death...
    – Hunter Thompson

Um sorry, what are you saying yes to?
    That photography would not be as important in an editing comp.

That photography would not be as important in an editing comp.
    ah yes,

Who would like to have a general comp running for the moment?

I can host it until i let you know I can't, could anyone assist me in this?

Anyone doesn't like this just say. I'm not very experienced in this sort of thing(hosting).
    Last edited by #1 Mustang Fan; 10-15-2007 at 10:55 PM.

It's tough to say, because often I edit photos (not for the competitions though) to recreate the scene as I saw it with my eyes. No matter how wonderfully shot, photos don't always come out as spectacular as they "should" have. That's the beauty of RAW editing, which is just like being in the darkroom.

So perhaps allowing non-extreme editing is a good thing, especially to help those without DSLRs and RAW shooting modes. The whole beauty of the photograph is adjusting things to recreate scenes, or put a personal touch and style into the look. It's like creating a painting; and perhaps we should revamp the competitions to suit that. Of course a lot of the shot is the composition, and capture, but most photos look bland straight from the camera. It takes a bit of "Photoshop magic" to bring out the beauty.

Besides, editing is a skill in itself, it's very easy to ruin a shot too. So I think we should allow editing, while stating the general changes, to really test our skills from capture to final product.

Not necessarily, because no matter how much you rock the PS skills, a shitty photograph is still a shitty photograph. This is about the photography itself still; with the ability to use post-processing to enhance and personalize aspects of the shot.

Truncated versions of this text available on request, it was a bit longer than I realized.
    Last edited by zeppelin; 10-15-2007 at 10:55 PM.
    i was waiting on a moment, but the moment never came. all the billion other moments, were just slipping all away. i must have been tripping, we're just slipping all away. just ego tripping.

Quote Originally Posted by zeppelin View Post
    Besides, editing is a skill in itself
    This is exactly why there should be two different comps, photography is also a skill in itself.

Quote Originally Posted by zeppelin View Post
    Not necessarily, because no matter how much you rock the PS skills, a shitty photograph is still a shitty photograph. This is about the photography itself still; with the ability to use post-processing to enhance and personalize aspects of the shot.
    Yes you must have a good photo before you start but without good PS skills you wont go very far in an editing comp.

An editing comp is combining the two skills to make a better photograph, but
    they are still two separate skills and photo comps are for sharing your photography skills and photos.

WTF is an "editing comp"? That doesn't even make sense to me. Unless everyone starts with the same photo, a photography contest that allows post-processing is still very much a photography contest.
    www.Desert-Motors.com - mag.Desert-Motors.com

Quote Originally Posted by pat_ernzen View Post
    WTF is an "editing comp"? That doesn't even make sense to me. Unless everyone starts with the same photo, a photography contest that allows post-processing is still very much a photography contest.
    Exactly. The editing I'm proposing is fairly basic stuff, that anyone can do. Not full blown image manipulation. I'm talking beginner to intermediate things; contrast, selective colourisation, levels and a few things like that. Nothing that would warrant two competitions, because that'd be redundant. In all honesty it's time for a little change, the competitions that pit images straight from the cameras is a little dull now. Hopefully we can put some new life and possibilities into the comps, spruce it up.

edit.

I propose that we turn over a new leaf, and people really give it their go. A lot of shots look too point and shoot, like a tourist's snapshot (and don't blame the hardware, I won several comps with a shitty Kodak). Get out there and experiment with lighting, angles, exposure times and whatever you can adjust with your camera. I'm not saying I'm particularly great, and that you all suck, but I see a lot of photos that had great potential with just a bit more effort/re-takes of the shot.
    Last edited by zeppelin; 10-16-2007 at 06:53 PM.
    i was waiting on a moment, but the moment never came. all the billion other moments, were just slipping all away. i must have been tripping, we're just slipping all away. just ego tripping.

Thread Information