Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Early details for new 911 (991)

Early details for new 911 (991)

The new 2011 Porsche 911 (991 model code) will be a ground-up transformation over the existing 997 model. It will be up to 50kg lighter, feature all-new suspension geometry and the rear axle will be pushed back by around 75mm. This will offer more interior space, but will also afford a more optimum mounting position for the engine. Better handling and increased overall stability the result.

Improved aerodynamics, stop-start technology and a brake regeneration system will help improve efficiency by around 10%, despite the inevitable (albeit modest) power gains. It has been reported the 991 911 will feature a 7-speed manual transmission, which has been derived from the PDK unit.

Inside, the 991 will draw its look from the Panamera, including easier to read dials and a wider centre console. Overall, the new 911 will be a more comfortable place to be.
    Source.

7 speed H-pattern manual?! Seems like it'd be a little unwieldy.. fun to play with though. The rear axle moving back 75mm is interesting.. makes it that little bit more mid-engined.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Life's too short to drive bad cars.

They're moving the rear axle (and engine) further back and this will improve the handling!?

I don't think a seven speed should be all that bad, might take a little getting used to, though. When we eventually start driving 10 speed cars and what-have-you in the future the only way I can see the H pattern surviving is with a similar system that they use on trucks, and I think that might rob some of the fun out of driving stick.

It also looks like a squashed bug. Now, the you might the 911 is a squashed Bug of sorts, but it looks really short and tall to me, meaning they squashed horizontally not vertically.
    "Kimi, can you improve on your [race] finish?"
    "No. My Finnish is fine; I am from Finland. Do you have any water?"

Quote Originally Posted by f6fhellcat13 View Post
    They're moving the rear axle (and engine) further back and this will improve the handling!?
    They did something similar with the 1968 model, which did improve handling. It went from lethal to lethally acceptable
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

The engine is moving too?

looks like a photoshopped scirroco?
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

Quote Originally Posted by pimento View Post
    The engine is moving too?
    I assumed the engine was as far forward as they could possibly make it without crossing the rear axle. I would also think moving the engine would have a much more significant effect on the interior space than just the axle.

ewwwwwwwww
    Gone:
    09 Ducati Monster 696
    09 Audi Q5 3.2
    03 Infiniti G35 Sedan
    07 Honda Civic Coupe LX 5spd

Current:
    10 BMW 335d
    12 Audi Q5 2.0t
    10 VW Jetta TDI
    11 Ducati Monster 796

I assumed the engine was as far forward as they could possibly make it without crossing the rear axle. I would also think moving the engine would have a much more significant effect on the interior space than just the axle.
    There is that, but there's no mention of moving the engine back with the axle. I'm not sure why they think there'll be more interrior space, because as you say the engine will have more of an effect on that than the axle. Still, it may mean that there's some redistribution of doodads around the engine to free up some space inside. Or the gearbox.

Yes, they could move the tranny behind the rear axle, but I doubt that'd be wise.
    Perhaps if they design a new engine, change the shape of the block, or redesign the geometry of the rear axle they could avoid moving it astern but things look pretty tight in there.

Ultimatecarpage.com forums (Couldn't find a good one of a 2WD 997)

Hmm.. maybe they can move the diff back and/or put more angle on the driveshafts.. Not sure. Certainly doesn't look like there's enough room to move the engine further back.

7 speeds are too many.

Also, are they going backwards with internal codes?
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

yes. thought that was a bit odd too.
    no 998 haha.
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

I always did wonder why they left themselves no room with the numbering.. strange sods.

might be sweeping the drive shaft more to the back....so the engine sits more between the rear wheel then behind them....
    University of Toronto Formula SAE Alumni 2003-2007
    Formula Student Championship 2003, 2005, 2006
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

Do we know if the 7spd is really an H pattern? If it was derived from the PDK box why not a sequential shift?

Thread Information