Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Has Porsche Lost Their Edge?

Quote Originally Posted by pimento View Post
    Well, it'd be a bit longer..

There was idle speculation of the 911 going to a flat-8 for a while. That'd probably upset the purists too, but it's probably the easiest way for them to catch up to Ferrari performance for the race cars. Maybe the GT3 911s could quietly have their engines pushed forwards.. it's not like they have rear seats anyway. Maybe if we don't say anything no one will notice... (don't mention the war!)
    haha, the flat 6 for this year (with the DI etc) is supposedly lighter again, so i imagine they could do a flat 8 by extending it further foward
    Quote Originally Posted by Bleeding Heart View Post
    Whoa... Porsche will make an eight cylinder car... We have to remember porsches are light... So a heavier engine would make it want to oversteer some more... The current 911 has already problems in oversteer with a lighter six cylinder placed on the back of the car... How much more if an even heavier engine is placed there...
    i wouldn't call a 997 turbo light..
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

Well, it'd be a bit longer..

There was idle speculation of the 911 going to a flat-8 for a while. That'd probably upset the purists too, but it's probably the easiest way for them to catch up to Ferrari performance for the race cars.
    The real purists may remember the 908 in all its versions, and would welcome two extra cylinders
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by henk4 View Post
    The real purists may remember the 908 in all its versions, and would welcome two extra cylinders
    Depends on what they name it.. no one would complain if it was called the 908.. or even anything other than 911 really.
    Life's too short to drive bad cars.

Depends on what they name it.. no one would complain if it was called the 908.. or even anything other than 911 really.
    I think 998 would be very appropriate and even logical...
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

hahaha
    presumably they'd keep a flat 6 for the entry level 911's to keep everyone happy
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

Peugeot would.

Altough for different reasons.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Doesn't peugeot essentially have the naming rights (in Europe at least) to nearly every *0* number?

Anyway, a V8 porsche would serve to be the single biggest change to the 911 series since water cooling, and would be met with a very cool reception IMHO.

The point of a 911 is that it's small enough to use everyday, but fast enough to embarrass a lot of vehicles. It's an inheriantly practical day-to-day prospect.

Making it larger, fatter & heavier essentially negates all the work Porsche has done recently to appear more enviro-friendly, and would be a PR nightmare not only for Purists but for Critics alike.
    <cough> www.charginmahlazer.tumblr.com </cough>

Only in France, or at least that was the case when the 901 Porsche was introduced.
    If you should see a man walking down a crowded street talking aloud to himself, don't run in the opposite direction, but run towards him, because he's a poet. You have nothing to fear from the poet - but the truth.

(Ted Joans)

Land of hockey, maple syrup, and hot white chicks
    Quote Originally Posted by IBrake4Rainbows View Post

The point of a 911 is that it's small enough to use everyday, but fast enough to embarrass a lot of vehicles. It's an inheriantly practical day-to-day prospect.

+1

That having been said however i think they could almost get away with throwing it into the turbo, i mean the car represents excess anyways and recently its been taking a beating for its price to performance ratio so this could take it to the next level that it needs. But for the rest of the line, 6's to boot.
    Be polite, Be professional, Be prepared to kill...

They've been rear-engined sixes for so long that it would be impossible from a pr standpoint to make a change now, the 911 will fall further behind before porsche makes any change to its set up or introduces a new model line
    -Fundamentals are a crutch for the talentless.

-I thought the blacks in Baltimore were bad, shit, they’re nothing compared to these fags you got here in San Francisco…haha.

-Kenny Powers

Quote Originally Posted by clutch-monkey View Post
    a V8 engined cayman would be epic though.. actually make that a flat 8
    YES!

Quote Originally Posted by Tocam View Post
    The problems I see with Porsche is, they are unwilling to make a successor of the 911. Whatever they do, they want the 911 to be the flagship model of the company, which is where the limitations are set.

Unlike Ferrari, every new model released is going to supersede the one before, and every company is doing that. And you cannot just keep one base model that supersede it's own variants.

Maybe Porsche needs to focus on producing another quick car that is not based on 911, it is not that they can't, they have all the technologies, the money and the capabilities to produce one. However, the problem is the 911 itself, and to keep their heads to produce another 911 is just going to set their own limitations there.
    I agree. I was so hoping that the Panamerica was going to be a proper GT/sports coupe and the talk of a sedan was just to throw people off. Looks like I was wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Wouter Melissen View Post
    No no, they have a very nice V8 with racing pedigree. They could make it a marketing bonanza and also earn back some money from the ailing RS Spyder program.
    I hate that car. Go flat or go home.

Over all I think this shows that in essence we're all in agreement - Porsche needs to step it up.
    "The Metric System is the tool of the Devil! My car gets 40 Rods to the Hogshead and that's the ways I likes it!" -Grandpa Simpson

Quote Originally Posted by IBrake4Rainbows View Post
    Doesn't peugeot essentially have the naming rights (in Europe at least) to nearly every *0* number?

Anyway, a V8 porsche would serve to be the single biggest change to the 911 series since water cooling, and would be met with a very cool reception IMHO.

Making it larger, fatter & heavier essentially negates all the work Porsche has done recently to appear more enviro-friendly, and would be a PR nightmare not only for Purists but for Critics alike.
    basically what he said.

Porsche need a new proper GT. since they are going to release the Pana-pig, I doubt they are planning something so interesting for the near future.
    KFL Racing Enterprises - Kicking your ass since 2008

*cough* http://theitalianjunkyard.blogspot.com/ *cough*

Yeah, like Porsche is really worried about V8s and such, there's the rumour that Porsche are thinking of developing a 1 series, A3, competitor... Rofl for Porsche heritage, that went out the window just before the first sketch of the Cayene.
    "Religious belief is the “path of least resistance”, says Boyer, while disbelief requires effort."

Yeah, I seriously can see Porsche needing another Front Midship RWD car, like the 928 to slot ahead of the 911. If the Boxster/Cayman is under the 911, there's lots of room above the 911 to make another car. And, I guess you could configure it as a 2+2 or just a 2 person coupe if you want. Just make it look nice.

By the way, is there a reason why the 944 and 928 look so similar?

Quote Originally Posted by NSXType-R View Post
    Yeah, I seriously can see Porsche needing another Front Midship RWD car, like the 928 to slot ahead of the 911. If the Boxster/Cayman is under the 911, there's lots of room above the 911 to make another car. And, I guess you could configure it as a 2+2 or just a 2 person coupe if you want. Just make it look nice.
    The 928 was the 911 replacement and the 911 is a 2+2.
    If you should see a man walking down a crowded street talking aloud to himself, don't run in the opposite direction, but run towards him, because he's a poet. You have nothing to fear from the poet - but the truth.

(Ted Joans)

Thread Information