Thread: Converting Movie Maker Files

Converting Movie Maker Files

Hey, I'm making a little video that has a collection of edited Top Gear clips, I'm making it on Windows Movie Maker. But I can't run it on Windows Media Player, as Windows Media Player doesn't support the the movie maker file. I just want to convert it because it's a bit of a pain shing my friends on Movie Maker.

What can I do to convert the file so I can run it on Windows Media Player?

Thanks in advance!
    My Photography: flickr.com/photos/a-m-photo/
    "The best way to predict the future is to invent it."

Media Player DOES play Movie Maker files.
    MS are stupid but not THAT daft
    You need to get the MS wmv (mp4) decoder.
    It will do this automatcially.
    Make sure you've the latest version of Media PLayer ( at least V9 )

If you REALLY want to convert it ( latest wmv is good compression ) then get RAD VIdeo tools Bnk and Smacker ( a google will find it for you )>
    The latest version now handles wmv files.
    Last edited by Matra et Alpine; 03-16-2006 at 04:51 PM.
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Thank you Matra

how do you burn them to dvd with a free program?
    I'm dropping out to create a company that starts with motorcycles, then cars, and forty years later signs a legendary Brazilian driver who has a public and expensive feud with his French teammate.

Do you mean to play them on a standalone DVD player ?
    I yes, then it depends .... a lot of new DVD players handle mp4/divx/xvid etc formats so you jstu right iut liek a data dvd.
    If you want it to run on any old standalone DVD player then it gets more complicated. Easiest is to get a rip of nero
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Does movie maker edit in wmv ? Auch. Doesn't it do DV streams ?

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine
    Do you mean to play them on a standalone DVD player ?
    I yes, then it depends .... a lot of new DVD players handle mp4/divx/xvid etc formats so you jstu right iut liek a data dvd.
    If you want it to run on any old standalone DVD player then it gets more complicated. Easiest is to get a rip of nero
    so i can use nero, which i have, to burn and play it on an older model? I had no frekin idea, nearly went mad trying to find a free program
    I'm dropping out to create a company that starts with motorcycles, then cars, and forty years later signs a legendary Brazilian driver who has a public and expensive feud with his French teammate.

Quote Originally Posted by kingofthering
    so i can use nero, which i have, to burn and play it on an older model? I had no frekin idea, nearly went mad trying to find a free program
    Depends what Nero you've got.
    You need Nero DVD Creator to make the vob files for a vanilla DVD. They don't include it in the writer
    Tell us what you've got.....

well, i have finally managed to burn the drift bible onto dvd with Nerovision express 2 se

Okay, I've tryed to actually convert the file with the ibk and smacker thing. But it isn't working, no more like, I don't understand how to use it. Matra could send it to you via PM and could you convert it into a format that Windows Media Player can Play. I want to show it to my friends and stuff and I doubt they have that decoder for Movie Maker files, or the latest one.

Manik, check your PMs

Thread Information