Page 23 of 23 FirstFirst ... 13212223

Thread: The Photography Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by LeonOfTheDead View Post
    I managed to buy a D40 for about 320 € two years ago or so.
    Now we (me and the lady) are looking fo an upgrade in the D90 territory, but not only that would cost around 1.000 € with a good lens (in the 105 mm range), it is also quite difficult to justify that cost for a far from professional use.

A friend of mine recently bought a D90 with a 16-85 lens. It's just... wow, but it's also 1.100 €.
    I have quite a list of things, and a new so expensive camera is not on top of it. Buying a car, insurance, new appartment, university books/taxes, new laptop (as in a working laptop) etc etc.

Given a better overall financial situation, I can defenitely see myself buying such a camera though.
    As I said to NSXType-R, there is nothing wrong with the D40. A little tuning with better glass than the kit lens will do you well.

…or
    In about 2-3 months look for used and refurbished D90's becoming available at much more reasonable prices. The D7000, with the 18-105mm lens is going to be very appealing to most D90 owners as an upgrade, for about the same €1,100 your friend paid for his D90. A bargain.
    I would expect used D90 bodies to be in the €460-530 or lower price range. In good condition your D40 body should get €215-240, add the kit lens and you would be looking for €300. Pretty much getting your money back after the use you have had.

Car, taxes, new stuff, it is all an experiment to find an income you can live within.
    Last edited by Savageduck; 11-02-2010 at 08:44 PM. Reason: correct spelling error.
    Regards,
    Savageduck

"The machine does not isolate man from the great problems of nature, but plunges him more deeply into them."
    Antoine De Saint-Exupéry

Quote Originally Posted by Savageduck View Post
    Well, I am at the other end of the age and experience spectrum, having removed myself from the rat race food chain by retiring last year. That leaves me more time to play with my toys, and indulge in photography which I neglected for many years.

You are not going to miss too much with the D40. It is a perfectly capable camera, and should still give you reasonable service. I don't know what lens(es) you are currently using, but if you want to improve the performance of the D40 consider investing in better glass for the day you do upgrade your camera.

Keep your eye on the prize and I am sure the upgrades to cameras and vehicles will be within reach sooner than you think.
    Yup, thanks for the advice, I will intend to use my D40 until it dies on me.

I was planning in fact to save up for a 105mm macro, I love doing macros.

Also, it'll make a good fast prime for long-ish action shots.

Quote Originally Posted by drakkie View Post
    Well, ill start this stuff off

As some of you might know i regularly take pictures at all sorts of party's. Most look ok,but some seem a bit too dark. I found a setting of shutter time (1/15 - 1/20) so that i can snap a good picture,without moving in the crowd. Are there any tips or advice you have for them to lighten up a bit.
    My preferred settings so far are
    1/15 to 1/20 shutter time
    f 3.2
    single autofocus
    iso and whitebalance automatic.

I'v eheard stuff about white balance and iso affecing lighting conditions. Could anyone explain it a bit better ? I'd like all advice you can give me on this.

Cheers,
    Sjoerd

One thing I hate about buying DSLR cameras is the usage if it.. the manual? oh my goodness. Im so lazy in reading those texts... that's why I do't want to buy it.. better for me if I only use the ordinary one.. lol. btw, thanks for this. it's an additional knowledge for me the moment Ill have my first DSLR cam.
    It takes 8,460 bolts to assemble an automobile, and one nut to scatter it all over the road. right?

Nikon D600 was just announced.

D600 Nikon Digital Camera | Digital SLR Camera from Nikon

I kinda want one, but based off of my lenses and stuff it'd be the D7000 for me, which I don't mind too much either.

nice

The D6000 looks like a nice camera. I'm interested in the 1.8 18.5mm lens. What does it mean mirrorless?

Quote Originally Posted by kvisser View Post
    The D6000 looks like a nice camera. I'm interested in the 1.8 18.5mm lens. What does it mean mirrorless?
    The mirrorless lenses doesn't work with DSLRs, it's a different system altogether. The Nikon V1/J1 cameras are an offshoot of traditional DSLRs. You can buy an adapter to mount lenses that would work on a D600 to the 1 series cameras, but not the other way around. Mirrorless cameras got rid of the big sensors of the DSLRs and as a result their lenses are much smaller.

If you want more recommendations on cameras, you could PM me.

Do you guys know if there is a way to see in the exif data if my lens IS was on and which IS setting was used?

I've been on a track twice this week. Took quite a few panning photo's (since a looong time). I didn't really have a clue which setting was best for which type of panning shot, so I changed the IS on my Canon lens after every batch. I also turned it off a couple of times. Now, when looking at the results, alot of them are soft and some are good. I'm not sure, but I think the good ones were with the IS completely off. Now I'd like to check if that really is the case, so I know if I should use IS next time.

Quote Originally Posted by basman007 View Post
    Do you guys know if there is a way to see in the exif data if my lens IS was on and which IS setting was used?

I've been on a track twice this week. Took quite a few panning photo's (since a looong time). I didn't really have a clue which setting was best for which type of panning shot, so I changed the IS on my Canon lens after every batch. I also turned it off a couple of times. Now, when looking at the results, alot of them are soft and some are good. I'm not sure, but I think the good ones were with the IS completely off. Now I'd like to check if that really is the case, so I know if I should use IS next time.
    You mean image stabilization right?

No idea, but for Nikon at least IS is useless if your shutter speeds are above 1/500th. That's because you'll be inducing vibration via the vibration reduction trying to counter your panning.

Again, not sure how applicable it is but you can take a look at the below link.

Nikon VR explained

Thanks, yes, I meant image stabilization. Canon has two settings. 1 is for both horizontal and vertical stabilization. Stetting 2 is for either horizontal or vertical stabilization, depending on which way you move your camera. But I have a feeling that the stabilizer has difficulty deciding in which direction and how fast I'm moving when I'm trying to pan and thus over- or undercompensates.

I shot between 1/80 and 1/125

Quote Originally Posted by basman007 View Post
    Thanks, yes, I meant image stabilization. Canon has two settings. 1 is for both horizontal and vertical stabilization. Stetting 2 is for either horizontal or vertical stabilization, depending on which way you move your camera. But I have a feeling that the stabilizer has difficulty deciding in which direction and how fast I'm moving when I'm trying to pan and thus over- or undercompensates.

I shot between 1/80 and 1/125
    Image stabilization might be useful then at those shutter speeds because you already want 1/whatever focal length you want to get a decently sharp photo.

What you should do to remember is to take a photo of your hand or something before you use IS. Then take a photo of your hand again when you stop using IS and then you use your photo file numbers to figure it out.

Bump on this thread.

Anyone buy any photo equipment lately? I've thought about the mirrorless Nikon cameras, but I haven't pulled the trigger because my D7000 is still kicking strong.

Thread Information