Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: GT500 vs Z06 vs GT-R

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

GT500 vs Z06 vs GT-R

Hope this isn't a repost. Great comparison test between three high power performers.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wfzqmpQQfOs&feature=player_embedded"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wfzqmpQQfOs&feature=player_embedded[/ame]
    "Wise man say: Forgiveness is divine, but never pay full price for late pizza."

The GT-R and the Z06 are somewhat comparable but they are in a completely different league than the Ford. It's dumb to even include the Ford in the comparison.

Thats a very dumb comparison. The Ford doesn't belong on the same track as the GTR and ZO6.

As much as I feel that, I hate ford so its good to see them trounced.

I'd still have the ZO6, great american power. RWD, 500 HP, Manual Tranny, 60K.
    "Don't think your time on bad things
    Just float your little mind around"
    Jimi Hendrix

It's supposed to be a comparison of performance cars with 500+hp available for under 100K. Yes, the Mustang is not a sportscar in the same vein as the GT-R and the Z06. It was included because it fit the criteria for their test.

Quote Originally Posted by Magnum9987 View Post
    The Ford doesn't belong on the same track as the GTR and ZO6.

As much as I feel that, I hate ford so its good to see them trounced.
    Yea, I'll bet Ford exec's everywhere felt the sting of that video. The Shelby faired better than either the new Camaro or Challenger would have, so I think it was still a good showing.
    Last edited by ThisBlood147; 02-17-2011 at 10:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ThisBlood147 View Post

Yea, I'll bet Ford exec's everywhere felt the sting of that video. The Shelby faired better than either the new Camaro or Challenger would have, so I think it was still a good showing.
    The Camaro does not (yet) have a 550HP muscle car on the streets, and when it does it will eat the GT500. And the Challenger is just a POS
    "Don't think your time on bad things
    Just float your little mind around"
    Jimi Hendrix

Yeah, you have to take these vehicles for what they are - host a comparison of cars that have 500+ horsepower for under $60,000, and the Shelby is a tough contender (assuming all the cars are street legal, production blah blah).

In any case, even though the 'Stang came in third, I could see Ford execs actually being happy with this comparison; can't hurt their image if that model is being used in shootouts with Z06s and GT-Rs, because who knows, some idiot buyer might just associate the three as being comparable and buy the Mustang based on the lowest price tag. Sha-bam.

Last edited by TVRs4eva; 02-17-2011 at 10:55 PM.
    Reutlingen/ San Francisco

Quote Originally Posted by TVRs4eva View Post
    Yeah, you have to take these vehicles for what they are - host a comparison of cars that have 500+ horsepower for under $60,000, and the Shelby is a tough contender (assuming all the cars are street legal, production blah blah).

In any case, even though the 'Stang came in third, I could see Ford execs actually being happy with this comparison; can't hurt their image if that model is being used in shootouts with Z06s and GT-Rs, because who knows, some idiot buyer might just associate the three as being comparable and buy the Mustang based on the lowest price tag. Sha-bam..
    They said the Mustang was $55k? Unless I'm constantly doing track days, I'll probably take the Shelby over the Corvette. The Vette looks absolutely awesome with the "Carbon" package, but I'd still take the Shelby over it. The GT-R, ehhhhhh I don't know......I'm starting to like that car a bit more with time.
    Buy a car for you, not for other people

Used Z06, H/C/I, call it a day.
    Turning money into memories.

Quote Originally Posted by Rasmus View Post
    Used Z06, H/C/I, call it a day.
    +1.
    sportscar over a saloon in this case.
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

For Motor Trend, that was actually enjoyable to watch. All information, not the crap in your face "bang bang shebang" here I am look at how annoying my voice is, media garbage that is shown on Speedtv. The argument for how different and worthless this comparison is is mute due to the presenters confining parameters. They picked three cars that qualified as "supercars" (debatable), which all had a price tag under $100,000.00. The argument that I see is that the three cars they choose to pick were run of the mill and known to every person who had ever opened a single magazine. Why not shake it up a little bit Motor Trend? I have stopped buying the magazine due to the dullness and predictability of the cars that they review.

If you really want to excite gear heads, throw a monkey wrench or a spanner into what we know as ground rules for cars. Mix an underdog in with the Joe's and John's of the auto world.

My single complaint against this comparison is that its "Run-of-the-mill".
    "Horsepower sells motor cars, but torque wins motor races."
    -Carrol Shelby

wow, the Datsun is ridiculously quick on the 0-60.

I think the Ford held up very well against these two, considering its not in the same class.

I would really like to see a comparison test between the GT-500 and a base corvette. There was one a couple years ago before the GT-500 got the aluminum block and suspension changes. I would like to see how it holds up now.

The GT-R is a beast. It is basically the "new Z06". Its one of the best cars out there bang for your buck.
    A woman goes to the doctor to figure out why she is having breathing problems...The doctor tells her she is overweight. She says she wants a second opinion...the doctor says, "your ugly".

I'd take the Z06 Carbon over the ZR-1 anyday of the week. And I'd take the new Boss 302 over the Shelby GT500 as well. The GT-R? An awesome show piece of superlative automotive engineering. It'd be great to take around any competitive track for fun. I just couldn't see owning one. I guess I still prefer my sportscars the old fashioned way.......RWD, 3 pedals, and a stick shift.

Quote Originally Posted by ThisBlood147 View Post
    I'd take the Z06 Carbon over the ZR-1 anyday of the week.
    A buddy of mine traded in his Z06 for a ZR1 yesterday. I'd take the ZR1. Definitely the ZR1 -- regardless of the Z06 being a Carbon or not.

As for the Boss vs. Shelby, I don't know. It's so easy to make power with the GT500, and the Boss is something I think I would want to keep stock.
    Turning money into memories.

Quote Originally Posted by Rasmus View Post

As for the Boss vs. Shelby, I don't know. It's so easy to make power with the GT500, and the Boss is something I think I would want to keep stock.
    The Shelby is definitely the one you want if you want tons and tons of easy-to-make HP. But as time goes on, I find myself more and more preferring a well sorted all around car as opposed to something with stupid amounts of power. I don't even get my GT into full boost very much these days. Maybe I'm just getting old.

Thread Information