Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2006 Z06 Vette "only" $66K....0-60 in 3.7 sec!!

2006 Z06 Vette "only" $66K....0-60 in 3.7 sec!!

Chevy announces Corvette Z06 0-60 mph time and base price

June, 13th, 2005
    www.gminsidenews.com

Corvette outperforms key competitive supercars at 1/3 the price

DETROIT – The ultimate Corvette—the 2006 Corvette Z06—is posting numbers at the track and on the window sticker that will get attention. Chevrolet has announced that the fastest Corvette ever—the 505-horsepower Corvette Z06—will achieve 0-60 mph in 3.7 seconds while still in first gear, and pricing will start at $65,800, including destination and freight charges.

"Corvette is a global icon for world-class sports car performance at an incredible value, and offering the fastest production Corvette ever at this price is another testament to that reputation," said Ed Peper, Chevrolet general manager. "When you compare the Corvette Z06 performance stats to other supercars, you see numerous examples where you’re getting better performance with Corvette for one-third the sticker price of the competition."

Developed alongside the Corvette C6.R race car, the Corvette Z06 uses advanced lightweight materials typically found only in the most exotic supercars. Use of weight-saving materials such as carbon fiber, aluminum, titanium and magnesium give the 3,132-pound car a highly competitive weight-to-power ratio of 6.2 pounds per horsepower.

"The new Corvette Z06 is the dividend from competing so successfully in endurance racing," said Dave Hill, Corvette’s chief engineer. "It combines the strong attributes of the new, sixth-generation Corvette with the spirit, technology and know-how from the race program to form an American supercar with outstanding credentials." The highly anticipated Corvette Z06, which will be available in the fourth quarter of 2005, completes the sixth-generation portfolio, which also includes the 400-hp Corvette coupe and convertible.

Previous Corvette Z06 models, from the original 1963 model to the 2001-04 editions, incorporated suspension and engine upgrades that complemented existing Corvette systems. The 2006 Corvette Z06 is more differentiated from the standard Corvette than any other Z06 in history with every design element serving a performance function.

Corvette Z06 features include:

• LS7 7.0-liter/427-cubic-inch Gen IV V-8 engine with lightweight reciprocating components
    • 505 horsepower (373 kw) @ 6300 rpm
    • 470 lb.-ft. of torque (657 Nm) @ 4800 rpm
    • 6-speed manual transmission,
    • 7000 rpm redline
    • Aluminum body structure with one-piece hydroformed perimeter rails frame and magnesium engine cradle
    • Carbon-fiber composite front fenders, front wheelhouses and floors
    • Dry-sump engine lubrication system
    • Hand-built engine at GM’s new Performance Build Center
    • Unique design styling that includes a larger grille, cold-air scoop and lower air splitter, wide-body front and rear fenders and a taller rear spoiler
    • Engine, transmission and differential oil coolers and steering cooler

For all its race-inspired functionality, the Corvette Z06 also is designed to be refined as a daily driver with a sophisticated and comfortable interior and generous cargo volume. The Z06 will be offered in Machine Silver Metallic, Victory Red, Daytona Sunset Orange, Le Mans Blue Metallic, Velocity Yellow Tintcoat and Black exterior colors.
    20 grand less than a viper, faster, lighter, what's not to like?

Quote Originally Posted by shr0olvl
    20 grand less than a viper, faster, lighter, what's not to like?

AAAAAAAAAAAAAMMMMMMMMMMMAAAAAAAAAAAAANNNNNNNNNNNN!
    Some Rulers Are Immortalized In Marble Others,
    In Carbon Fiber.{Hard Core Audi Fan}Ich Fahr Omnibus!
    """""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""

Quote Originally Posted by QUATTRO MAN
    AAAAAAAAAAAAAMMMMMMMMMMMAAAAAAAAAAAAANNNNNNNNNNNN!
    did you mean amen?

Definately on my "to get" list.
    "NEVER ALLOW SOMEONE TO BE YOUR PRIORITY, WHILE ALLOWING YOURSELF TO BE THEIR OPTION"

great news..wonder how much the UK market will get it for..
    btw quattroman, the q in ur avatar should be a small q not a capital Q, as quattro is spelt with a small q
    Audi humbles Porsche. A new dawn starts today.

Being nice since 2007.

thats awesome. hopefully the suspension is better too
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

oh and btw..shouldn't this thread be in the American forum?
    Audi humbles Porsche. A new dawn starts today.

Being nice since 2007.

I can't wait for this to come out, and shrOolvl I think you hit it straight on nail head.

its gonna be sweet but id rather have one of the new shelby mustangs and save $26,000 and have near the same performance.
    My rides:
    1999 Mustang GT

1974 Ford Country Squire (for sale!)

1991 Jeep Cherokee

1970 Shelby GT500

Quote Originally Posted by Juggs
    its gonna be sweet but id rather have one of the new shelby mustangs and save $26,000 and have near the same performance.
    Won't be even close. You get about 50Hp less and 700 extra Lbs? Needless to say that handling and aerodynamics favor the Vette.

*checks bank balance* Nope. Little short.
    [O o)O=\x/=O(o O]

The things we do for girls who won't sleep with us.

Patrick says:
    dads is too long so it wont fit
    so i took hers out
    and put mine in

Quote Originally Posted by Quiggs
    *checks bank balance* Nope. Little short.
    I'm about $65K short

Quote Originally Posted by Niko_Fx
    Won't be even close. You get about 50Hp less and 700 extra Lbs? Needless to say that handling and aerodynamics favor the Vette.

with the 26,000 dollars i'd save i could easily make the mustang better than the vette.
    My rides:
    1999 Mustang GT

1991 Jeep Cherokee

1970 Shelby GT500

Quote Originally Posted by Juggs
    with the 26,000 dollars i'd save i could easily make the mustang better than the vette.
    And you're still driving a Mustang.
    [O o)O=\x/=O(o O]

The things we do for girls who won't sleep with us.

Patrick says:
    dads is too long so it wont fit
    so i took hers out
    and put mine in

Quote Originally Posted by Quiggs
    And you're still driving a Mustang.
    nothing wrong with that. you see just as many vettes on the road as mustangs and not to mention most vette owners are idiots anyways because 90 percent of vette owner that do buy them to go fast in only drag race and its sooo soo easy to buy a 4000 dollar fox body mustang and put a couple mods on it and walk all over stupid vette drivers all day.

so im driving a mustang right...i guess that makes me the smart one then because i saved a shit ton of money on a car that offers similar performance, and with the money i saved can walk all over vettes all day and not look like a douchebag vette driver while doing it. the crank rods and pistons are all forged in the mustang as opposed to the cast parts in the vette. oops you have to change all that stuff if you want to do any serious mods to the vette. and your still using a push rod 427 cubic inch motor wow congrats your beating a 5.4 liter car with a 7 liter car i sure hope your proud of yourself. but even if you are beating it its not by much.
    My rides:
    1999 Mustang GT

1991 Jeep Cherokee

1970 Shelby GT500

Thread Information