Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: 2008 ALMS Official Thread

The land of the free and home of the whopper!
    button is your best friend.

But I do like how you're getting into ALMS.
    roflcopter

Is Milka Duno really that much of an asset to irl? She looks like a flag girl and surely attracts attention to whatever series she races in for that reason, but she is a mediocre driver at best.

I don't remember her being competitive in LMP 675 really either

Edit: My apologies I was ignorant of her placing 2nd at Daytona 24 last year.
    Last edited by Turbo.Jenkens; 06-21-2008 at 10:14 PM. Reason: ignorant assumtion

DYSON RACING'S GREATEST MOMENT? YOU DECIDE

American Le Mans Series :: World Class
    Should Comcast, which is buying NBC, have more motorsports coverage on VERSUS and now NBC? Does North America need a racing tv channel? Find the answer to that exact question on facebook.

IMSA rules change for Road America-Audi R10s get a fuel tankage increase to 85 liters:

http://www.imsaracing.net/2008/alms/...ms%2008-05.pdf

I guess Audi finally got their wish granted....
    University of Toronto Formula SAE Alumni 2003-2007
    Formula Student Championship 2003, 2005, 2006
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

Austin Hatcher Foundation named official charity of ALMS

July 14, 2008

Columbus, OH - The American Le Mans Series officially kicks off its affiliation with the Austin Hatcher Foundation on Tuesday as four of the world's top sports car drivers visit pediatric wards at Nationwide Children's Hospital in Columbus. Clint and Jon Field of Intersport Racing in Dublin, Ohio along with Patrón Highcroft Racing's David Brabham and Drayson-Barwell's Paul Drayson will visit with young people and their families from 1 to 2 p.m. to kick off the Series' partnership with the foundation as its official charity.

The Austin Hatcher Foundation, a federally registered 501-c3, was formed by Dr. Jim Osborn and wife Amy Jo after the loss of their two-month-old son "Hatch," the namesake of the Foundation, to a rare form of cancer. The Osborns have been champions of children with pediatric cancer and their families for almost a decade. The Foundation's mission is to serve the needs of children and families dealing with the effects of pediatric cancer.

American Le Mans Series :: World Class

Austin Hatcher Foundation

Should Comcast, which is buying NBC, have more motorsports coverage on VERSUS and now NBC? Does North America need a racing tv channel? Find the answer to that exact question on facebook.

Would love to meet old Nige.

Mansell and son test ALMS Lola

By Steven English Thursday, July 17th 2008, 17:11 GMT

Nigel Mansell and his son Leo tested a Le Mans prototype for the first time this week with a view to racing in the American Le Mans Series together.

The 1992 world champion was at Estoril with the Chamberlain-Synergy team and sampled their Lola-AER B06/10 along 23-year-old Leo, who races in the Atlantic Championship in the USA.

Mansell's younger son, Greg, who also races in Atlantics, was also present at Estoril but did not drive the car during the two-day test on Tuesday and Wednesday.

If Mansell wants to enter a sportscar race with one or both of his sons, all three would be able to drive in Petit Le Mans, the 1000-mile event at Road Atlanta on October 4, while just Nigel and Leo could share a car in any of the remaining ALMS rounds.

Mansell is linked to Chamberlain-Synergy through team boss Bob Berridge, who was one of the key players behind the scenes of the GP Masters series in which Mansell raced in 2005 and 2006.

autosport.com - ALMS News: Mansell and son test ALMS Lola
    Last edited by Wouter Melissen; 07-17-2008 at 11:12 AM.

Bob absolutely rocks.

Well I was just reading the ALMS site and it claims that the ALMS is the "Global Leader" in green racing - a claim I find dubious for at least a few reasons.

Primarily because there is at least one zero-emissions ultra low pollution/carbon footprint racing series that I have heard about - though it is obscure, I would bill this series as the global leader in green racing.

Secondarily, these alternative fuels, E85 specifically are in the eyes of many experts more damaging to the environment than regular gasoline - it's just pseudo-green garbage.

My 3 cents on the matter - correct me if I'm wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Kitdy View Post

Maybe they have the most cars with a green livery?

Quote Originally Posted by Kitdy View Post
    Well I was just reading the ALMS site and it claims that the ALMS is the "Global Leader" in green racing - a claim I find dubious for at least a few reasons.

Primarily because there is at least one zero-emissions ultra low pollution/carbon footprint racing series that I have heard about - though it is obscure, I would bill this series as the global leader in green racing.

Secondarily, these alternative fuels, E85 specifically are in the eyes of many experts more damaging to the environment than regular gasoline - it's just pseudo-green garbage.

I guess my first question who be 'If the ALMS isn't the global leader in green racing, who is?'

They use the word 'leader', not 'best' or 'smartest', which is a worthy distinction to make.

Debating the worthiness of the cause or the impact of the cause is wide open, but I can't think of another series that's taken a leadership role on this topic in motorsports. To their claims as 'leader' I have no issue.
    Cal Naughton, Jr.: So when you say psychosomatic, you mean like he could start a fire with his thoughts?

I dunno, I was sorta thinking of a series that races cars such as those features here.

It was the first thing that popped up on Google when I searched zero emissions racing. I would consider these cars the true leaders in green racing. It appears as though several major automotive manufacturers take part, I see Mazda, Aston, Bentley, and Volkswagen sponsorship.

So it's global, it, unlike other forms of racing is actually pretty freaking green, and it is probably one of the most leading green racing events/series there is.

That is unless this is all a sham.

I'm also not sure this is the series/company that I heard of several years ago.

So I guess the ALMS is a leader, but most likely not the leader.

The ALMS is trying to paint itself as a green racing series in an effort I presume to pique manufacturer interest in the series as well as public interest in the series as the people running the ALMS see this new green trend in cars and motorsports potentially as a potential new source of revenue. Maybe the idea of being green is good enough and applaudable. Or maybe the controlling forces of the series actually care about the environment to some degree.

The Green Challenge is an interesting idea and I can imagine some of the smaller teams that are unlikely to challenge for class victories instead focusing on winning the challenge if their goal is to race at Le Mans - then again, maybe the drive to win will be to great and it won't make an impact to any considerable degree - an entirely likely scenario. After all, how many fans are gonna care who wins The Green Challenge? I mean, I'm gonna care more out of curiosity than anything else but I can't imagine what other casual viewers or even enthusiasts will think of this.

Thread Information