Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Possibly the coolest thing for me

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    Is that a car enthusiast forum or a health and safety forum?

Real men drive Maseratis, if you can afford (but remember that it isn't cheap to maintain) it, than just do it. And forget about Porsches and Corvettes, they simply can't be compared to a Maserati.
    You just want it because you know you'd go for the Italian car any day, any time, no matter what. You're really rather biased.

For those who have disagreed, they really do have a point. There's no reason to break your back on a Maserati. Sure you're going to love the badge, but until you really find out how reliable the machine is, you really can't figure out whether you should buy it or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Kitdy View Post
    You, Ferrer, are very definite about this. I think Porsches are pretty damn good - and probably won't break down as much.
    Yes. Objectively a Porsche is infinitely better than a Maserati. But if you are judging the Maserati only by the cold figures you are just missing the point of it. A Maserati is something very especial that can't be defined just by looking at figures. Find a proper one (not a Biturbo) and admire it. It's gorgeus bodywork, the quadcam V8, the exquisite attention to detail of the interior, the badge.

As I said, real men drive Maseratis. Posers buy Porsches.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by NSXType-R View Post
    You just want it because you know you'd go for the Italian car any day, any time, no matter what. You're really rather biased.

For those who have disagreed, they really do have a point. There's no reason to break your back on a Maserati. Sure you're going to love the badge, but until you really find out how reliable the machine is, you really can't figure out whether you should buy it or not.
    Agreed. What makes Maserati any better at all other than the name, the mystique, the look? Actual performance isn't particularly that good vis-a-vis Porsche or Corvette (from a driver's point of view).

Not necesarily though. I like the XKR very much indeed, but I just prefer the Maser this time.
    Agreed. What makes Maserati any better at all other than the name, the mystique, the look? Actual performance isn't particularly that good vis-a-vis Porsche or Corvette (from a driver's point of view).
    I think you're starting to get it.

Altough sometimes, compared to rivals, Masers are very good dynamically too.
    Visca Catalunya!

Porsches seem to do very well regarding build quality and resale value. I would check a 996 911 if it was really in the price range. Then again, is there a P dealer closer than the 2 hours you mentioned for the maser? Also, are you looking for a grand tourer, a sports car, or to fullfill a dream (which might turn expensive and you are well aware of it)? For example, I have always dreamt of puting an engine in a car that simply shouldn't be there (like a honda vtec in a old school mini). It would be relatively expensive, but I have to do, if only for the sense of having something unique.

BTW, recently two friends of mine bought brand new 997s and they are still very nice blokes -meaning you shouldn't generalize the owners-.
    Last edited by magracer; 06-01-2007 at 01:24 PM.
    Zag when they Zig

What's vis-a-vis?

Italian cars aren't exactly known for their reliability though.

Porsches are, and if I were to choose a 996 (anything) over this Maserati, I'd get the Porsche. You really can live with the Porsche on a daily basis, is much more reliable, and probably a better deal.

Then again I don't have my drivers license......

I need to stop dreaming.

Quote Originally Posted by McReis View Post

Honestly, apart from the 996 none of those cars is an alternative to a Maserati.
    How so? They are all (apart from the R32) faster than the Maser, and all are better looking. I'm not sure what you mean here...
    He came dancing across the water
    With his galleons and guns
    Looking for the new world
    In that palace in the sun
    On the shore lay Montezuma
    With his cocoa leaves and pearls

You really can live with the Porsche on a daily basis, is much more reliable, and probably a better deal.
    Funny you mention that, my friend says his 911 is the "family car" (rather meaning daily driver), but that's because he has an elise for track days.

The real life version is that the wife has a SUV to car pool to the kids to school, but the 911 has worked like clockwork.
    Zag when they Zig

I think you're starting to get it.
    I hate you Ferrer.

I can respect your view though. You are more about the "feel/soul" of the car whereas I am concerned with an amalgam of looks and performance (sometimes, just performance).

What's vis-a-vis?
    Vis-a-vis is French for... I dunno literally but it means like compared to one on one or something like that. It is hard to explain...

Where's fisetdavid of Piacki when you need them...

As I said, real men drive Maseratis. Posers buy Porsches.
    you and I are so similar it's crazy. drive Minis, and have a penchant for Italian cars.
    i am not too into actual performance. hence i bought a mini. its not spectacularly fast, comfortable, practical, or cheap. it can handle really well, sure, and its fun to drive. but its got style and personality, soethin that porsches and corvettes have unfortunately long since been devoid of.

Quote Originally Posted by my porsche View Post
    How so? They are all (apart from the R32) faster than the Maser, and all are better looking. I'm not sure what you mean here...
    i think looks are a personal matter, and all recent maseratis have made me weak in the knees. in pics, they dont look anything special, but in person they are stunning.

and everyone keeps mentioning the corvette. that is out of the question. i need somehting with back seats. the small useless ones in the maser, mini, and 911s will do, but i do need one.

oh and tom, wifey wont give up her truck, and we definitely can not afford the mini and the maser.
    Honor. Courage. Commitment. Etcetera.

Vis-a-vis is French for... I dunno literally but it means like compared to one on one or something like that. It is hard to explain...

Where's fisetdavid of Piacki when you need them...
    Told you my French was bad.

Quote Originally Posted by cmcpokey View Post
    you and I are so similar it's crazy. drive Minis, and have a penchant for Italian cars.
    Great minds think alike.
    Visca Catalunya!

Great minds think alike.
    So do stupid ones.

like all thos epeople recommending corvettes and bmws...
    Honor. Courage. Commitment. Etcetera.

What about a last-generation M5?

For similar money you get 400 horsepower, 6-spd manual, seating for 4 or 5, luxury, and baller status.

Beef Curtain
    Great Wall of China
    Poop Chute

[edit] I'm an idiot. I forgot about the BMW curse. [/edit]

Thread Information