• Toyota iQ

2 4.65%
  • Volkswagen Golf VI

0 0%
  • BMW 7 Series

4 9.30%
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 2009 World Car of the Year

Though I know henk will attempt to destroy me for it, shouldn't a "world" car of the year include a car that is sold in Morth America?
    My hope is the Fiesta, if for nothing other than to buoy Ford.
    .... and it's coming to America hopefully.
    "Kimi, can you improve on your [race] finish?"
    "No. My Finnish is fine; I am from Finland. Do you have any water?"

Quote Originally Posted by f6fhellcat13 View Post
    Though I know henk will attempt to destroy me for it, shouldn't a "world" car of the year include a car that is sold in Morth America?
    My hope is the Fiesta, if for nothing other than to buoy Ford.
    .... and it's coming to America hopefully.
    I guess, depends on who's voting. I think so personally but the Europeans will call us stupid and wrong.
    Rockefella says:
    pat's sister is hawt
    David Fiset says:
    so is mine
    David Fiset says:
    do want

What do you mean by this? Should one of the ten nominees be a car sold in North America or should the winner be from North America? There are several nominees that are sold in North America so I am confused.

Quote Originally Posted by Kitdy View Post
    What do you mean by this? Should one of the ten nominees be a car sold in North America or should the winner be from North America? There are several nominees that are sold in North America so I am confused.
    There are 5 or 6 nominees that are sold in the US so I think he meant the overall winner should be available for purchase in the states. It'd give the 'world' part of the claim for car of the year much more weight. Like I said, depends on your opinion of the issue.
    Rockefella says:
    pat's sister is hawt
    David Fiset says:
    so is mine
    David Fiset says:
    do want

of the listed cars, the only one definitely not bound for the states is the C5. the 500 is with chrysler, the fiesta is likely, and i would assume the iQ is as well. most of the others are already here.
    Honor. Courage. Commitment. Etcetera.

@ Kitdy: I think all of the nominees should be relevant to as many markets as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by cmcpokey View Post
    of the listed cars, the only one definitely not bound for the states is the C5. the 500 is with chrysler, the fiesta is likely, and i would assume the iQ is as well. most of the others are already here.
    Kitdy said the they might not get the 500 in Canuckistan in some other thread. Dunno how big the Canadian market is but as it is part of N.A. that should be taken into account.

Who the **** let in the A4?

Kitdy said the they might not get the 500 in Canuckistan in some other thread. Dunno how big the Canadian market is but as it is part of N.A. that should be taken into account.

I see nothing wrong with the A4, I like it a lot actually. Must be those kewl LED headlights.
    Rockefella says:
    pat's sister is hawt
    David Fiset says:
    so is mine
    David Fiset says:
    do want

is there any reason the zr-1 isn't on there?

either way though, id probably vote for the gt-r.
    A woman goes to the doctor to figure out why she is having breathing problems...The doctor tells her she is overweight. She says she wants a second opinion...the doctor says, "your ugly".

[QUOTE=f6fhellcat13;865546]@ Kitdy: I think all of the nominees should be relevant to as many markets as possible.

For world car, I don't think it doesn't need to be sold in NA - I see the awards simply as the best that all of the world has to offer. Throw in the Nano why not as far as I'm concerned.

I don't have info for Mexico, but for the Canada / US slice of cars, I will use populations and car popularity.

Canadian Population in 2009 Estimate: 33,535,000

US Population in 2009 Estimate: 305,701,000

Then form this thread, I'll use Canada at 567 cars per 1,000, and the US at 467 per 1,000, then we get...

19,014,345 cars in Canada, and 142,762,367 for America, for a total of 161,776,712 cars in Canada and the US. That means 11.8% for Canada, 88.2% for the US. So as I thought, a bit over 10% for Canada. But as I said, I dunno about Mexico. Canada is a pretty big market though it seems.

Probably not a bad car but probably not as good as a 3-series and I doubt a top ten car.

kitdy, have you though of becoming a statistician... that's basically what i am in school to be. and that little computation you did there gave me a warm and fuzzy. (now you just need to calculate probabilities and distributions.)

Quote Originally Posted by cmcpokey View Post
    kitdy, have you though of becoming a statistician... that's basically what i am in school to be. and that little computation you did there gave me a warm and fuzzy. (now you just need to calculate probabilities and distributions.)
    I like numbers and order I must say. I have not had to take stats and have heard bad things form people in bio and poli-sci about stats so I don't know as much as I should about probability distribution, standard deviation, and the like but in my upcoming studies it may be a requirement - I'm not sure yet.

I however don't think I'd like to do it full time - I remember doing conversions in chem class with moles (the numerical unit) and molecule ratios and while somewhat pleasing, it was too repetitive. I however have made crappy little comparos with car data and the like - I even posted on on UCP a long while ago.

What stats courses you taking pokey?

Quote Originally Posted by Kitdy View Post
    I like numbers and order I must say. I have not had to take stats and have heard bad things form people in bio and poli-sci about stats so I don't know as much as I should about probability distribution, standard deviation, and the like but in my upcoming studies it may be a requirement - I'm not sure yet.

I however don't think I'd like to do it full time - I remember doing conversions in chem class with moles (the numerical unit) and molecule ratios and while somewhat pleasing, it was too repetitive. I however have made crappy little comparos with car data and the like - I even posted on on UCP a long while ago.

What stats courses you taking pokey?
    I think I'm with you on this one. I enjoy figuring out some complex statistical equation here and there but doing it as a career or through an educational field wouldn't be too my liking I reckon.
    Rockefella says:
    pat's sister is hawt
    David Fiset says:
    so is mine
    David Fiset says:
    do want

Have any of y'all taken any number theory classes?
    Almost entirely irrelevant to the real world but incredibly fascinating. I could have either taken # theory or stat this year but I love subjects that exist in a vacuum, so did number theory.
    @ Rocke: Become a stripper.

Who the hell voted for the GT-R?
    Isn't a world car of the year supposed to be somewhat affordable for everyone, besides it being an excellent car?

ive taken algebra based prob/stats, both in undergrad, and last quarter (btw i was a poli sci undergrad). next quarter i am taking calc based prob, and calc based stats the following. next quarter i will also be taking linear algebra, and java programming to write linear programs.

i am in a masters program for operations analysis. so the creation and application of prob stats.

edit: currently i am taking finite math/logic. and i have a calc 3 test tomorrow.

Thread Information