Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Corvette ZR1 driven hard

Quote Originally Posted by kingofthering View Post
    The humor in this is that he's testing something that is the antithesis of sporting, yet uses fancy syntax to paint a picture of something grander than it really is. You should read a few of the older ones to grasp it. Ironic, especially with the use of the spanking phrase.
    the old Mini was anything but the antithesis of sporting...
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

but it was a shitbox to drive

bettered in every way by the first Civic

i'd still have the mini, civics are dull.
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

Quote Originally Posted by clutch-monkey View Post
    i'd still have the mini, civics are dull.
    Ouch.
    2007 Acura TL Type-S (AEM V2, R-V6 Race/J-Pipe, ATLP Quad Exhaust)
    2011 BMW 328i Coupe

comprable generations F1 master ^ i haven't driven a civic more recent than the first type R
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

Quote Originally Posted by Badsight View Post
    but it [original Mini] was a shitbox to drive
    I used to plug around in an 850 work car (with the rubber button start) it was sporty as hell and fantastic fun to drive imo, with a go-kart feel unique to any other car
    bettered in every way by the first Civic
    (except in handling / steering / space efficiency / competition pedigree / etc)

Civic debuted 13 long years after the Mini did, so hardly comparable and big deal if it was better in some ways

Btw in the early 1970s my olds bought a new Civic 1500 as a 2nd car to replace their trusty Morris 1100. Within 14 months the Civic motor required a full rebuild (due to a manufacturing defect affecting many 1500s) which Honda refused to repair 'in good faith' and the subsequent rebuild cost us an additional 3rd of the original purchase price! During the extended repair (waiting for parts) the car was left parked in the sun by the dealer, which decomposed the thin low-quality upholstery. All this from a supposedly 'high quality' car barely out of warranty!

You've got to say, other than the mechanical issues, that this was a dealer related fault more than the car though.

What vehicle didn't fade & have it's upholstery decompose in the harsh heat of 1970's Australia? I presume the Morris wouldn't have been in good shape if they were replacing it.....
    <cough> www.charginmahlazer.tumblr.com </cough>

Quote Originally Posted by nota View Post
    (except in handling / steering / space efficiency)
    yeah , thats how the EB Civic bettered the Mini

along with top speed , accelleration , braking , ride comfort , road noise & interior space

Quote Originally Posted by Badsight View Post
    no it didn't, i don't know how you're measuring these things, but you're doing it wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by IBrake4Rainbows View Post
    You've got to say, other than the mechanical issues, that this was a dealer related fault more than the car though.

What vehicle didn't fade & have it's upholstery decompose in the harsh heat of 1970's Australia? I presume the Morris wouldn't have been in good shape if they were replacing it.....
    Maybe a surprise but the little green Morrie was in decent shape when updated to the more modern Civic - mechanicals, seats, paint & trim were all good. Btw all those Oz-spec BMC cars used a soft foam-backed & high-quality vinyl upholstery called "Ambla' which proved very hard wearing - also seen in AP5 Valiant Regals (and HR Premiers?) among others

Our old XT Falcon wagon (purchased 1969) which when traded 14 years later after enduring the indescribable ravages & abuse of four maniacal teenage sons as their 'pool' car, was still a solid honest car with good seats & unsplit upholstery, original mechanicals, still had firm suspension and drove well .. even the OE (rivetted) balljoints were still in RWC .. etc. No dramas with that car apart from an eventual split dashpad and iirc not one breakdown

Contrast the newer Honda, ditched after 7 years despite enjoying a much gentler life with 2/3rds the miles and one-driver usage, had collapsed seats and cactus trim, very tired suspension, several significant repairs (including afforsaid $$ motor) and even 'hard trim' items like the plastic ashtray were warped from sun damage - car disposed of in 1981

I can merely relate personal long-term experience .. (in a corvette thread lol)
    Quote Originally Posted by Badsight

Quote Originally Posted by nota View Post
    Contrast the newer Honda, ditched after 7 years despite enjoying a much gentler life with 2/3rds the miles and one-driver usage, had collapsed seats and cactus trim, very tired suspension, several significant repairs (including afforsaid $$ motor) and even 'hard trim' items like the plastic ashtray were warped from sun damage - car disposed of in 1981
    I can only surmise that, much like many european sourced vehicles of the era, it was not built for Australian conditions like the Valiants & Falcons you previously mentioned. Which is a shame.

John14 I think will attest to the quality of elderly civics though
    <cough> www.charginmahlazer.tumblr.com </cough>

Here's another quick clip of some of the tire-smokin' fun we had at Milford in the ZR1. Shameless plug.

2009 Corvette ZR1: Jalopnik's 2009 Corvette ZR1 Test Drive Is Coming Shortly In A Cloud Of Smoke

Can't say much for now other than it was a great day.

Quote Originally Posted by BMW325 View Post
    Here's another quick clip of some of the tire-smokin' fun we had at Milford in the ZR1. Shameless plug.

2009 Corvette ZR1: Jalopnik's 2009 Corvette ZR1 Test Drive Is Coming Shortly In A Cloud Of Smoke

Can't say much for now other than it was a great day.
    Is this Wes? I was reading about this earlier today.

Didn't know a Jalop frequented these humble boards.

Quote Originally Posted by Niko_Fx View Post
    Wow, that was almost as fast as a Nissan GTR!
    So thats the bait you use to lure them in.

Flyfishing for bogans
    Lifts heavy things and hits hard......also eats as much as 2/3 people and sleeps 10 hours a day!

Quote Originally Posted by henk4 View Post
    OK, so the thread will have to change to: Can British journos drive (let alone test) faster cars than a Morris Marina?
    We know the answer to that is no.

Shouldent trust a limp wristed pom to do anything with testing a car give i to australians named nick and then youll see some real driving and motring journalisum and unlike clarkson I wont crack as many racist jokes and can do my own german dubbing...and ill look so damn good doing it too.
    Last edited by Falcon500; 08-24-2008 at 09:00 PM.
    Lifts heavy things and hits hard......also eats as much as 2/3 people and sleeps 10 hours a day!

Thread Information