Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Le Mans Regulations 2009 -> 2011

Le Mans Regulations 2009 -> 2011

Just published, the new ACO proposed regulations for 2009 and 2011

The 2009 set of regulations defined by the Automobile Club de l’Ouest has already come out; it contains the technical regulations for all entrants in the LM P1 and LM P2 prototype categories and LM GT1 and LM GT2 grand touring car categories.
    This year it is accompanied by the initial measures adopted for the 2011 season regulations.

All races run under the Le Mans label in 2009 (Le Mans 24 Hours, American Le Mans Series in the USA and the Le Mans Series in Europe) will be governed by a single set of ACO regulations. This is why it is so important to publish them well before the first events of the 2009 season so that the entrants can prepare their cars according to the technical specification.
    These regulations include the guidelines announced by the ACO at the Silverstone press conference on 13th September: level playing field, safety, cost reductions and sustainable development.
    It consists of 5 documents: LM P1 and LM P2 technical regulations, LM GT1 technical regulations, LM GT2 technical regulations, supplementary technical regulations and sporting regulations.

The main outlines of the 2011 regulations

The technical definitions for the 2011 Le Mans 24 Hours concern 4 precise points:
    - LM P1 and LM P2 engines: reduction of power, and cubic capacity reduction in LM P1 (diesel, 3.7-litre twin turbo 8 cylinders maximum instead of 5.5 litres, petrol, normally aspirated 3.4-litre 8 cylinders maximum instead of 6 litres, petrol, 2.0-litre turbo 6 cylinders instead of 4.0 litres), in LM P2 (diesel, 4.0-litre turbo 8 cylinders, petrol, 4.0 litres prepared on the basis of 2010 GT2, petrol, 4.5-litre series production). The minimum weight in LM P1 remains at 900 kgs and is increased from 825 to 900 kgs in LM P2.
    - Hybrid systems aimed at reducing fuel consumption (free development in compliance with precise rules).
    - Fuel tank capacities (75 litres instead of 90 litres for petrol engines, and 68 litres instead of 81 litres for diesels).
    - Wheel dimensions unchanged in relation to the 2009 regulations).
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Wouter Melissen; 11-19-2008 at 11:43 AM.
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Ou sont les neiges d'antan?

Quote Originally Posted by Rapax View Post
    Ou sont les neiges d'antan?
    Excuse me ?
    If you should see a man walking down a crowded street talking aloud to himself, don't run in the opposite direction, but run towards him, because he's a poet. You have nothing to fear from the poet - but the truth.

(Ted Joans)

Does this mean the maximum number of cylinders for LMP1 is 8? No V12? Lame.
    "The Metric System is the tool of the Devil! My car gets 40 Rods to the Hogshead and that's the ways I likes it!" -Grandpa Simpson

Quote Originally Posted by NicFromLA View Post
    Does this mean the maximum number of cylinders for LMP1 is 8? No V12? Lame.
    From 2011 onwards yeah.
    If you should see a man walking down a crowded street talking aloud to himself, don't run in the opposite direction, but run towards him, because he's a poet. You have nothing to fear from the poet - but the truth.

(Ted Joans)

So the ACO wants less tire changes, but the smaller fuel tanks will bring the cars into the pits more often. They had better not mandate spec tires for 2010 or ever do that.

In LMP1, why are the twin-turbocharged diesels given more displacement (3.7 liters) than 2.0 liter single tubo'd six cylinders and 3.4 liter normally aspirated engines?

In contrast, in the 2011 LMP2 class, both series production 8 cylinder diesels have the same 4.0 liter displacement as 2010 GT2 4.0 liter engines.

Why are the diesels again given more displacement in LMP1 versus turbocharged LMP1 engines?

I hope the IndyCar Series gets their engine/chassis formula right for the 2011 season.
    Should Comcast, which is buying NBC, have more motorsports coverage on VERSUS and now NBC? Does North America need a racing tv channel? Find the answer to that exact question on facebook.

The technical definitions for the 2011 Le Mans 24 Hours concern 4 precise points:
    - LM P1 and LM P2 engines: reduction of power, and cubic capacity reduction in LM P1 (diesel, 3.7-litre twin turbo 8 cylinders maximum instead of 5.5 litres, petrol, normally aspirated 3.4-litre 8 cylinders maximum instead of 6 litres, petrol, 2.0-litre turbo 6 cylinders instead of 4.0 litres), in LM P2 (diesel, 4.0-litre turbo 8 cylinders, petrol, 4.0 litres prepared on the basis of 2010 GT2, petrol, 4.5-litre series production). The minimum weight in LM P1 remains at 900 kgs and is increased from 825 to 900 kgs in LM P2.
    I am not a fanatical follower of endurance racing, but I do know that on some twistier tracks P2 cars give P1s a run for their money. Manndating that they be the same weight just seems stupid to me.
    There seems to be no set formula for how much(displacement) a deisel is worth.
    "Kimi, can you improve on your [race] finish?"
    "No. My Finnish is fine; I am from Finland. Do you have any water?"

It seems what they're doing is slowly creating just 2 classes, like sportscar racing of old.

There won't be a single LMP class.

LMP2 is for privateers and it isn't stupid that they weigh the same. This will make it easier to set up the cars.
    Should Comcast, which is buying NBC, have more motorsports coverage on VERSUS and now NBC? Does North America need a racing tv channel? Find the answer to that exact question on facebook.

Quote Originally Posted by togos452 View Post
    Why are the diesels again given more displacement in LMP1 versus turbocharged LMP1 engines?

3.7/5.5 is 2/3
    8/12 is 2/3
    Peugeot has a 5.5 liter V12 engine....
    capice?
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by henk4 View Post
    3.7/5.5 is 2/3
    8/12 is 2/3
    Peugeot has a 5.5 liter V12 engine....
    capice?
    They could up the allowed displacement in the petrol engines.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Diesel needs more displacement because they don't have the rev. In order to do the same amount of work at a less rate they need to make a lot more torque to compensate....
    University of Toronto Formula SAE Alumni 2003-2007
    Formula Student Championship 2003, 2005, 2006
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    so keeping the 5.5 liter for diesels and increasing the size of the petrol engines?
    That would be counterproductive to ACO's efforts to reduce speeds (the (in)famous 3.30 lap)....

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    Displacement is not really relevant. What matters is restrictor size.

(Ted Joans)

Its relavent in the sense that it gives manufacturer a bigger scope for development. You want to have the largest displacement available, especially in an endurance format to have a least stressed engine that can make the most power. Restrictor in the end are used to limit the ultimate power, but how to get to that amount of power is just as important. Or else Judd wouldn't keep pushing up on their displacement on the GV series. I am sure the power level between GV4 and GV5.5 is similar, but 5.5 is a lot more competitive...and reliable...
    Last edited by RacingManiac; 11-20-2008 at 08:11 AM.
    University of Toronto Formula SAE Alumni 2003-2007
    Formula Student Championship 2003, 2005, 2006
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

Thread Information