Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question about Top Gear Series 10

Question about Top Gear Series 10

This isn't a complaint about Top Gear series 10....yet.

I'm in NZ, and through Prime TV owned by Sky TV, we are currently seeing series 10 of Top gear, and it's great.

But, when I look at Wikipedia, along with the car reviews each episode, there's also the news segment, but for some reason Prime TV does not show the news segment.

The question I have is, for those people watching Top Gear on TV outside the UK, do you see the news segment, or is this dropped from the International version of Top Gear???

And another thing, last week was the Rolls-Royce Phantom DHC, Ferrari 599 etc and Clarkson closed by eluding to the Africa special, then in the ad on Prime for next weeks episode, do we see Africa...NO!, instead we're getting the episode after the Africa trip (Caparo T1, London Race, Aston Martin AMV8 Vantage Roadster). And to add insult to injury, we haven't even seen the Polar special yet!

Polar special was an offseason special I believe. But yeah in the international version I don't remember getting the news portion either. I download them and just get the UK version the day they air.

I can't tell you whether other countries outside the UK see the news section or not. However, the news section is largely news relating to the British and European domestic markets (new model lines, prices etc). There wouldn't really be much of interest to viewers in New Zealand/Aus/USA etc.

Also, in the last few series the "banter" between the 3 of them while doing the news has been over-scripted and over-done. It's obviously supposed to look like they're just chatting and coming up with it all on the fly, but at times it comes across like a scene from a badly acted sit-com. You're not missing much!

As for the Africa and Polar specials, I'm not really sure why they haven't been shown. Maybe they're not classed as part of the Series 10 as sold to Prime TV. The BBC may be charging extra for the rights to show the 'specials'. That's just at a guess though.
    uәʞoɹq spɹɐoqʎәʞ ʎɯ

Yeah, when I get it online, one episode is usually just over an hour long, without commercials.

However, when I find it on Discovery sometimes (not anymore, btw, no idea why not) the show runs one hour with commercials. I was wondering what was cut out. Maybe it is the news section.

The Top Gear episodes aired in BBC World were cut down versions to 30 minutes without the news bits. That was back in season 5 or 6, I don't know if that's still the case.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

If I remember correctly, on BBC America it varies from episode to episode. The show is an hour long with commercials and they usually cut the star in a reasonably priced car segment unless it is someone Americans recognize. But for the most part the news segment isn't cut, though I could be wrong.

BBC world versions don't have the news and neither the star in a reasonable prcied car segments. I guess they think itīs too local to air worldwide. It has happened to me a couple times that I have no idea who the guy driving the reasonable priced car is, for example rugby players that I have never heard of. Nevertheless itīs always fun to watch.

As others have said before, the BBc world episodes are 30 min, while the UK are roughly 50 min if my memory serve well. To get the full episodes I sugest downloading from torrents.

p.s. Do get the polar special
    Last edited by magracer; 04-28-2008 at 04:01 PM.
    Zag when they Zig

In Australia SBS started off showing the BBC International versions, but now shows them properly.
    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death...
    – Hunter Thompson

BBC UK originals are an hour long, the long international versions (BBC World, SBS in aus) have varying amounts lopped off making them about the 50 minute mark, and there were 30 minute versions of earlier episodes but I've no idea if they still do them. SBS versions are an hour long with some ads, but not too many. Ususally the news survives. If you want to see them as they were meant to be aired, the only way is to download them. Also, I rather like the latest news segments, some of them have been hilarious.

I know far too much about Top Gear...

BBC America has the news and Star in a reasonably priced car
    I'm going to eat breakfast. And then I'm going to change the world.

Thanks everyone.

Guess We'll have to make do with what we get, and download from the torrents to see the full episodes with news segments.

Now, to complain to Prime TV....

Good to find a fellow Kiwi. lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Aero View Post
    If I remember correctly, on BBC America it varies from episode to episode. The show is an hour long with commercials and they usually cut the star in a reasonably priced car segment unless it is someone Americans recognize. But for the most part the news segment isn't cut, though I could be wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by magracer View Post
    BBC world versions don't have the news and neither the star in a reasonable prcied car segments. I guess they think itīs too local to air worldwide. It has happened to me a couple times that I have no idea who the guy driving the reasonable priced car is, for example rugby players that I have never heard of. Nevertheless itīs always fun to watch.

As others have said before, the BBc world episodes are 30 min, while the UK are roughly 50 min if my memory serve well. To get the full episodes I sugest downloading from torrents.

p.s. Do get the polar special
    That's right, I forgot about the star in a reasonably priced car. That's because I usually skip right over it anyway. It's the dullest part of the show. You're right, most of the time I don't know who it is, so I just get straight to the driving.

I definitely watch it when the F1 drivers do it though.

So when it's on BBC in England, it just runs for one hour straight without commercials, or is it longer than 1 hour, because of commercials?

BBC == NO commercials --- WIN
    The first B in BBC stands for BRITISH. England is a desolate land just south of Scotland
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine View Post
    BBC == NO commercials --- WIN
    The first B in BBC stands for BRITISH. England is a desolate land just south of Scotland
    Wow, I didn't know that you guys get no commercials, on the BBC at least. That's mainly the reason why I watch so little television.

Sorry, forgot about the distinction again.

Thread Information