Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Audi R18

Where are the Shell stickers? I only see Castrol stickers ...
    If you should see a man walking down a crowded street talking aloud to himself, don't run in the opposite direction, but run towards him, because he's a poet. You have nothing to fear from the poet - but the truth.

(Ted Joans)

Quote Originally Posted by csl177 View Post
    Dino, where'd you find those Sebring photos, was it testing there after the race? While the old car ran Sebring last week, the R18 was at Homestead testing. Herr Joest reportedly made a trip to see how things were going before the 12 hour started.

Flickr: Audi USA's Photostream

Quote Originally Posted by Wouter Melissen View Post
    Where are the Shell stickers? I only see Castrol stickers ...
    Shell apparently hasn't been on any Audi's since end of 2009.

Quote Originally Posted by Dino Scuderia View Post
    Shell apparently hasn't been on any Audi's since end of 2009.

Pretty sure Dr. Ullrich on Windtunnel still mentioned their name. Maybe they are using Castrol lubricant but Shell Diesel? Shell was the supplier for their GTL semi-renewable diesel right?
    University of Toronto Formula SAE Alumni 2003-2007
    Formula Student Championship 2003, 2005, 2006
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

Quote Originally Posted by RacingManiac View Post
    Pretty sure Dr. Ullrich on Windtunnel still mentioned their name. Maybe they are using Castrol lubricant but Shell Diesel? Shell was the supplier for their GTL semi-renewable diesel right?
    I think they and Pug have to use Shell fuel which is what those engines were developed to burn.

Quote Originally Posted by Dino Scuderia View Post
    I think they and Pug have to use Shell fuel which is what those engines were developed to burn.
    I think Peugeot is using Total, which is prominently shown on their cars....
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Indeed they are main partners since 1995.

The only ACO approved diesel fuel is Shell, which is also where the ACO gets their gasoline (which I believe is actually roughly equivalant to the ALMS' E10) from. The fuel has to be spec, just like how in NASCAR Sunoco E15 is the spec fuel and Goodyear sells spec tires, spec meaning "single supplier" in this case.

IMSA only uses Shell diesel as well, while VP Racing sells the E10 and E85 that ALMS teams use. Of note is that E85 currently isn't approved for non-ALMS events by the ACO.

And having Castrol on the cars allows Audi to advertize a British Petrolium product without actually having BP as a sponsor--Dyson did that in the ALMS last year. Either that, or Shell has bought Castrol, which I don't think has happened.
    Power to me is having the ability to make a change in a positive way. Don't dream it, be it.

regarding the fuel, the ACO regs state that ACO will supply ONE type of fuel, (then gives specs) and finally the fuel has to be available in the market.
    Apparently ACO has a contract with Shell to supply fuel and therefore all cars have to run the same brand. (as the fuel is being supplied by ACO)
    Also it seems that Shell is not allowed (?) to advertise that they are the selected brand, otherwise the Total people might really become angry.
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Yes but Shell previously was one of Audi's major sponsors. That's why their absence struck me as odd.
    If you should see a man walking down a crowded street talking aloud to himself, don't run in the opposite direction, but run towards him, because he's a poet. You have nothing to fear from the poet - but the truth.

(Ted Joans)

Quote Originally Posted by henk4 View Post
    regarding the fuel, the ACO regs state that ACO will supply ONE type of fuel, (then gives specs) and finally the fuel has to be available in the market.
    Apparently ACO has a contract with Shell to supply fuel and therefore all cars have to run the same brand. (as the fuel is being supplied by ACO)
    Also it seems that Shell is not allowed (?) to advertise that they are the selected brand, otherwise the Total people might really become angry.
    And that's what I'm getting at: The ACO approves the fuel, and designate the supplier (Shell in their case). Only one supplier at a time for the fuel. The only sport I can think of where there isn't a single fuel supplier (at least for a given type of fuel) is F1, and I'd even rate that as questionable (there may be various suppliers, but the FIA and the teams come up with a common formula).

And of course, the fact that Shell no longer is a major sponsor for Audi means that Shell has decided that sponsoring a certian Mr. Penske (who ironically was touted as helping bring Audi back to the ALMS for this season) and his NASCAR and Indy Car teams probably says something about Shell's advertizing priorities.

And because of the NASCAR Viceroy Rule, Shell can only advertize their lubricants in NASCAR because Sunoco (as well as Unocal in the past) is the offical fuel. And of course, it seems that Shell and the ACO have a similar agreement--(except that) Shell can't openly advertize that their the offical fuel supplier to the ACO, and Castrol/BP and Total can only advertize their lubricants on the Audi and Pug race cars (hence why it says "Castrol Edge" on the Audi R18s and R15s at Sebring--Castrol Edge is engine oil).
    Last edited by Chernaudi; 03-24-2011 at 08:45 AM.
    Power to me is having the ability to make a change in a positive way. Don't dream it, be it.

These are some more specifications :
    * Cylinders: 6.
    * Displacement: 3600 cc.
    * Valves: 24 valves.
    * Horsepower: 550 bhp.
    * Fuel Feed: Fuel Injected.
    * Gears: 6.

Thread Information