Page 1 of 37 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: 2009 24 Hours of Le Mans, LMS and ALMS news

2009 24 Hours of Le Mans, LMS and ALMS news

The 2008 season is hardly over, but news for 2009 is already trickling in. Corvette will switch to GT2 halfway through '09, Acura will move up to P1 and BMW will re-enter the GT2 class. Keep tabs of this thread for the latest news.
    If you should see a man walking down a crowded street talking aloud to himself, don't run in the opposite direction, but run towards him, because he's a poet. You have nothing to fear from the poet - but the truth.

(Ted Joans)

Quifel-ASM Buys Ginetta-Zytek 09S

Quifel-ASM Buys Ginetta-Zytek 09S

Top Portuguese team plans its Le Mans campaign with the latest from Zytek Engineering

Quifel-ASM, one of the leading LMP2 teams in the Le Mans Series, has become the first customer for the Ginetta-Zytek 09S, as Zytek Engineering's latest car is to be called. Developed from the already impressive Zytek 07S, the 09S will feature a revised aero package and will be powered by a new version of the 2007 Le Mans class winning, 3.4-litre Zytek ZG348 engine. The power unit improvements include a 3kg reduction in weight and increases in both power and torque.

Runner-up in the Le Mans Series LMP2 championship in both 2006 and 2007 with wins at the Nürburgring, Jarama, Spa and Valencia, the Lisbon-based Quifel-ASM Team has been one of the LMS's most consistent performers. Indeed, it should have won the series in 2006 but for the fact that, due to an idiosyncrasy in the rules, it had to be entered under a different name during the early part of that year. Lead driver, and former GP2 winner, Olivier Pla has already tested and raced the Team LNT LMP1 Ginetta-Zytek 07S. "I can see the car has a big, big potential," he said just prior to the Petit Le Mans race at Road Atlanta where that car led overall in the early stages. "Both the engine and chassis appear to be very good and there is still a lot of development to come. For me, it is the car to give a hard time to the Porsches."

In addition to racing at Petit Le Mans, Olivier tested the 07S in LMP2 form at Snetterton where Quifel-ASM's highly experienced race engineer Alan Mugglestone was also present. "He, too, could see its potential," recalled Olivier.

"The fact that Zytek Engineering designs and manufacturers a complete car, including chassis, engine, gearbox actuation and all the electrics, was important to us. We have been competitive but we know that the Ginetta-Zytek can make us even better. Our team made an evaluation of all the chassis available and the 09S was chosen. We are confident that we can now develop a successful relationship with Zytek. Our plan for 2009 is to contest the Le Mans Series and the Le Mans 24-hours and to finish on the podium there," said Quifel-ASM team owner, former Formula 3 racer António Simões.

Zytek Engineering operations director John Manchester said, "We are delighted to be working with a top level operation like Quifel-ASM. Recent performances in the USA have shown just how competitive the Zytek package is and we now look forward to a successful 2009 season in Europe with the Quifel-ASM team."
    If you should see a man walking down a crowded street talking aloud to himself, don't run in the opposite direction, but run towards him, because he's a poet. You have nothing to fear from the poet - but the truth.

(Ted Joans)

waiting for the news of Peugeot building a car that can run forever one one tank of diesel and carry 3 drivers AND run 3:19 around Le Mans on wet tires so they don't have to stop at all in the race...
    University of Toronto Formula SAE Alumni 2003-2007
    Formula Student Championship 2003, 2005, 2006
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

Quote Originally Posted by RacingManiac View Post
    waiting for the news of Peugeot building a car that can run forever one one tank of diesel and carry 3 drivers AND run 3:19 around Le Mans on wet tires so they don't have to stop at all in the race...
    On a more serious note. I read that Peugeot will bring two cars to Sebring and this time to win.

(Ted Joans)

Yay for Honda entering P1!

Did they ever enter that in the past?

Also, is this the first Japanese P1 racer in a while?

Quote Originally Posted by NSXType-R View Post
    Did they ever enter that in the past?
    I believe there was an Acura engined Spice Group C2 car in the early 1990s.

Also, is this the first Japanese P1 racer in a while?
    Certainly not; Dome.

(Ted Joans)

Quote Originally Posted by Wouter Melissen View Post

Certainly not; Dome.
    Okay, I forgot about that, but for the largest automakers, yes right?

I know that Toyota and Nissan had a part in the late 80's and 90's, Mazda too, but they all pulled out.

Okay, I forgot about that, but for the largest automakers, yes right?

I know that Toyota and Nissan had a part in the late 80's and 90's, Mazda too, but they all pulled out.
    Yes Toyota, Nissan and Mazda were involved in sports car racing throughout the Group C era and beyond. Honda was doing the Formula 1 thing. This is the first time they are seriously involved in top-level, international two-seater racing.

(Ted Joans)

It is a big tuneup for Peugeot going for the Hyrbrid for 09, but downside is you have to worry about the bettery. Will it run long enough without any malfunction on charges, will the engine response time push better than the R10's. Frankly, 09 will be just as hard as it was in this year's 08 24 Hour showdown.

I would like to see the Pescarolo's back in a podium and taking a a win, they sponsor the best racing simulation game in the world, Gran Turismo. Peugeot FTW though. Can't wait to see #'s 1, 2, and 3, vs 7, 8, and 9 race each other next year.
    Auto Theft Reports of 2008 - "Once again, the 1995 Honda Civic was the most stolen car in America, according to the National Insurance Crime Bureau"

OMG RICERS!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Wouter Melissen View Post
    It was on display at the Acura tent Sebring 07, I have a picture of it somewhere, as soon as I find it I'll post it.

Quote Originally Posted by G-Wiz View Post
    best racing simulation game in the world, Gran Turismo
    Have you tried the GTR series for PC? Demo download

Quote Originally Posted by G-Wiz View Post
    It is a big tuneup for Peugeot going for the Hyrbrid for 09, but downside is you have to worry about the bettery. Will it run long enough without any malfunction on charges, will the engine response time push better than the R10's. Frankly, 09 will be just as hard as it was in this year's 08 24 Hour showdown.

I would like to see the Pescarolo's back in a podium and taking a a win, they sponsor the best racing simulation game in the world, Gran Turismo. Peugeot FTW though. Can't wait to see #'s 1, 2, and 3, vs 7, 8, and 9 race each other next year.
    The 908 HDi Hybrid uses a KERS system and a multi-cell battery.

Quote Originally Posted by Mariantic on Zytek and Peugeot KERS systems
    These systems are basically "super starter motors" with more batteries than current cars and the starter motor also being a generator to keep the batteries charged. As well as being used to start the engine the starter motor can be the sole power, e.g. in the pit lane, and used as a boost to pass or accelerate when an extra 80BHP is available for a few seconds. Nothing particulary "green" about this really - just a sensible racing accessory!
    Last edited by Zytek_Fan; 10-28-2008 at 03:39 PM.

The new GT2 Corvette will debut at the Mid-Ohio round.

The new regulation rear wings were tested this week at Estoril. Images courtesy of Estoril-Race-Photos
    Attached Images Attached Images

(Ted Joans)

Narrowed? Why for?

Quote Originally Posted by faksta View Post
    Narrowed? Why for?
    To cut performance. The ACO has a lap time target of 3:30 in the race, which the Peugeots beat by quite a margin.

(Ted Joans)

Thread Information