Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Ferrari 612 replacement, the FF

That youtube video made me realise one thing.
    It looks pretty good in the dark.

this maybe Ferraris Cayenne

with the car world so full these days , & with credit (not money) tight , they are only going to go foward with what they think will sell best

staying "true" to the marque will only appease a minimal number that are hardcore faithfull

Haters gonna hate dot gif.

I'm sure Ferrari aren't intentionally making a car that the mass majority of people think is ugly, so on that front either most people here are in the minority or they know something we don't. As for the tech, I don't see why a GT car shouldn't be designed with an appropriate* AWD system - they're meant to be the fastest way to cross a continent and Ferrari are meant to make the best GTs, so why not factor in some inclement weather. Tradition is all well and good and there is definately good reasons why there should be RWD, front engined V12 Ferraris available but the 599 and its successors can and should be that. With the gearbox it was inevitable. I do agree that nothing beats a clutch pedal and an H-pattern, but in such a high-tech, low volume car they have to go with what the majority of the people who actually buy these things want. Engineering an H-pattern option into the fancy new drivetrain just isn't worth the outlay for them.

*Rear biased, tarmac focused, able to be powerslided like a proper FR can be:

Ferrari said the 4-wheel drive system dubbed "4RM" is patented by itself, and is 50% lighter than conventional 4WD sytems. Details are scarce. We learned that it is a part-time 4WD system, i.e. drive is normally sent to the rear wheels, and only to the front wheels when the rear starts losing traction. Ferrari claims its electronics allows the torque transfer to the front wheels instantaneously. The system employs a transfer case made by Italian gear expert Carraro. Its electronics is provided by Marelli, a subsidiary of FIAT.
    Life's too short to drive bad cars.

Quote Originally Posted by Kitdy View Post
    This site - and Ferrer in particular - has made me feel more like an old man when it comes to cars. I am now fighting against the current trends in the automotive industry.

One of my friends likes cars, and basically insists that every new generation of car is better than the preceding. I kind of thought this in years past, but then I learned that so many new cars are so artificial.

I think former poster Turbo.Jenkins said that automatic gearboxes are like condoms - I remember this quote well. He said they remove all feeling - and hence enjoyment - from the act.

I kinda feel like that is what cars are becoming in general. More electronic gizmos, more computers making decisions for you, less interaction between human and machine. The fundamental interaction between human and machine is what I desire. Driving a go kart is absolutely exhilarating, as is riding a motorcycle. I think a large part of why that is the case is due to the large degree of synergy between driver/rider machine. I think there is a happy balance point between technology and simplicity (which differs from person to person), but many new cars are moving far from that balance.

Electronic steering -which particularly enrages me - lane change warnings, adaptive cruise control... These things may be good for some, but probably not for most of us. I thought the point of driving a car was to... drive a car. Not be driven in a car. Fair game though, for most, a car just gets you around. Most of the time for me that is the case as well. However, what we are seeing now is sportscars and other enthusiast cars being dumbed down as well in the name of progress and efficiency.

I meant to start by talking about the FF, but have diverged massively. So to the matter at hand...

Some say that you need to see this thing in the flesh to fully rate it, but I have a good idea it's going to look just as bad as it does in these pictures. Looks are the first thing that is wrong with the car - it looks absolutely terrible. The whole shape is terribly awkward. The rear end is unbelievably brutal.

So you see this Ferrari, and that is the first thing you think of. Then you look deeper. You see it has AWD. It does not have a manual gearbox which is not surprising. People are saying AWD is needed for FF drivers to to be able to handle the power. Maybe the AWD will make it super quick. I imagine journalists will say this car is absolutely incredible to drive - and it probably is. The problem is that the car's philosophy is wrong. Why does it need AWD? Because it has so much power. Why does it have so much power? There is no need (other than for prospective owners to dickwag) for a GT of this nature to have 660 hp. 660 hp just a few years ago is what Ferrari's supercar was putting out. The 612 had 130 hp less than this. Power wars are fun, but this seems fairly unreasonable. I guess Ferrari has to do it though - the next gen always must be heavier, have more technology, be faster, and be "better." Manuals are going the way of the do do it seems.

I don't so much lament the loss of a manual in this car as it has no chance to sell, but to see Ferrari's "budget" sportscar without a manual is quite sad.

I have open in another tab a timeline of Ferrari's cars. Let's turn back the clock to not so long ago - 1996. In 1996, the Ferrari lineup consisted of the 355, the 550, the 456, and the F50. Would you rather that lineup, or the current lineup of California, 458, 599, and FF?

As a final thought, why the hell is that it's name?! 522 doesn't have a nice ring to it, but abandoning the traditional naming convention is annoying as well, and you could always fudge it and make it 524 or 526 or something.
    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death...
    – Hunter Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by pimento View Post
    Engineering an H-pattern option into the fancy new drivetrain just isn't worth the outlay for them.
    this
    besides, majority of their customer base expects paddles anyway.
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

There should not be a manual in a car like this. Ferrer may disagree, but a GT is about ease of use, and a manual is more troublesome for a gentleperson.

That being said, old school GTs with manual are pretty sweet.

The car has other problems.

Gran Tourers aren't about ease use. They are about covering a lot of terrain in little time in comfort. They are mile eaters.

Furthermore, any gentleman should be able to operate a manual gearbox. It'd also make for natural selection.

I know no one agrees with me, but I couldn't care less. Also, I'm not going to change the market of Paris Hiltons and P.Diddys, so don't worry. The manual isn't coming back.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    Gran Tourers aren't about ease use. They are about covering a lot of terrain in little time in comfort. They are mile eaters.

Furthermore, any gentleman should be able to operate a manual gearbox. It'd also make for natural selection.

I know no one agrees with me, but I couldn't care less. Also, I'm not going to change the market of Paris Hiltons and P.Diddys, so don't worry. The manual isn't coming back.
    I fully agree with you, but most unfortunately I'm not in the market for this car.

Ferrer, you said you quite like it though.

What's to like?

This is one of the most unFerrari, and unFerrer, Ferraris.

What's to like?

I don't think it's really all that 'unFerrari' to be honest. It's a very fast, very capable, very technologically advanced GT with a V12 up the front. It's also taking a cynical view of their customers as fools who'll fund the racing endeavours. Sounds like Enzo to me.

On pure looks, I have a problem with the top & tail of the car, particular the rear, which seems like a bit of a boxy afterthought in terms of the hatch glass.

In terms of the idea, It's not one that offends my sensibilities, Automatic doesn't bother me (Most performance manufacturers include some for of automated gearbox as part of their range) and if you want a faster, harder Ferrari they'll happily sell you a 599 or something.

It's not pretty, but it is the future. I just wished they'd work on getting the proportions right - the wheelbase looks roughly equivalent to a stretch limo.
    <cough> www.charginmahlazer.tumblr.com </cough>

Hmm...
    mechanically - very interesting, overall body concept - OK (the 2 door shooting brake style), actual styling - disastrous.

And the name?
    Stands for Fugly Ferrari doesn't it?

After the very pretty Italia, this is quite a step backwards, isn't it?
    Maybe Bangle's doing some consulting these days... ;-)

I agree with Kitdy there should not be a manual in a car like this. I think a Manuals are better in some ways and they are more fun, but in this car i think a manual would be out of place.
    Also some manual Gearboxes can’t handle the power and torque of some cars, and other gearboxes handle the power better like the transaxle dual-clutch F1 gearbox. I am not saying all car should not have a manual gearbox but i think they do not belonge on high Performance cars.
    Speed has never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary, that's what gets you."
    — Jeremy Clarkson

I kind of like it. I think it takes the Italia styling into a new direction. I like it. Although I've been known to like boxy and odd looking cars.

What's to like?

I am fan of Grand Tourers. I like the combination of comfort and speed. I like the sense of crossing continents, the feeling of moving.

And this as a grand tourer seems pretty much spot on. Big normally aspirated V12 up front for the performance, a very long wheelbase for lineal stability, a body which combines the spirit of the sportscar with the practicality and space of an estate (also a fan of shooting breaks) all are the ingredients of a great grand tourer. Make it rear wheel drive and a manual and it could be almost perfect.

I don't know if it works as a Ferrari or an italian car (said it the first time I replied), but I love the concept behind the car.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Thread Information