Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: 40-60 mph: '67 Ferrari VS '64 Cadillac

Here is the 3-car road test comparsion between Caddy, Chrysler Imperial and Lincoln from the August, 1960 Motor Life magazine.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Terry

Californian by nature, living in Teggsas.
    Yup, that's the one! One of my favourites out of all the ones I have too.
    An it harm none, do as ye will

Approximately 79% of statistics are made up.

Quote Originally Posted by jcp123 View Post
    Yup, that's the one! One of my favourites out of all the ones I have too.
    Yeah, I have several more...tell you what I will do. I will list all of the road tests on the Lincolns, Cads and Imps, that I have and if you want any of them, I will post them for you.

I have thousands of road tests and articles BTW; on all kinds of cars, but most are from the 50s - 70s on American musclecars.

In total, I have something like 400,000 documents on cars.

Sometimes, it takes me a while to sort through what I am looking for. LOL!
    Terry

dog, where did you get these?

Quote Originally Posted by Kitdy View Post
    dog, where did you get these?

Hi Kitdy;

I tend to collect from numerous forums, websites, newspapers, magazines, videos, and books. I still purchase stuff online when prices are inline and the info I want is not obtainable in any other way.

Most of the documents I downloaded was from numerous sites. Some of my most valuable info was from sites that were shut down due to copyrighted material being posted.

My practice is to download everything I find of value. This is very important if you intend to keep material in the future. Many times, I have went back unto various sites to continue reading certain articles and they were deleted before I could finish. Now I just download or copy the info I want ASAP.

In this way, I can go through thousands of HTML docs and collect the most valuable info and categorize it at my own leisure.

I usually create my own docs and build up profiles of various celebraties, racers, marques, tracks, forums, etc. For instance, I have docs on numerous car makers, designers, marques, etc., complete with specs and statistics.

I continue to update my stats on an ongoing basis. It's a job let me tell you. LOL!

If you surf the net and join various sites that you find personally appealing, you will learn lots from the knowledgable membership. Some were and still are professionals in their selective fields of endeavor. Road Racers, drag racers, designers, engineers, retired track officials, tech inspectors, and enthusiasts all comment and pool their knowledge and talent for the enjoyment of it's readers.

I search online for likeminded individuals and sites to join and participate in the hobby. In that way, I continue to build upon my treasure trove.

I have no qualms about copying old magazine articles because they are all former public issues of articles that people like myself horde and upload for others to enjoy.

It is virtually impossible to keep that stuff from being copied once its on the net. I manage to obtain lots of articles on ebay. Every so often I go surfing just for that purpose. LOL!

I swop alot of articles between people on sites as well through personal emails. Some sites do not like you posting too many magazine articles because of copyright issues so I just send them instead. If there is a will there is a way...
    Terry

Ok, I forgot about your personal database of stats. Is it an excel or word document? I would love a copy.

How much memory does your entire car magazine scans take?

Quote Originally Posted by Kitdy View Post
    Ok, I forgot about your personal database of stats. Is it an excel or word document? I would love a copy.

How much memory does your entire car magazine scans take?

Just in road test pic scans it is 20.3 GB. That is 67,000 pics. Actual road tests? Who can say? Thousands!

I also have numerous road tests in docs that comprise several thousand pages. They need to be sorted out and put into order in pic scans. Probably another few hundred anyway.

HTML folders? Huh? Over 400,300 files. 9,000+ folders. How many road tests in those? I really don't know. Many of those files have entire threads from several hundred different websites. Many contain nothing but road tests and articles.

Together, my docs is somewhere around 32 GBs.

Video files? wow! 82 GBs. 1500 vids.

Then there is my other laptop...and my books and magazines...LOL!

All together I have somewhere around 180 GBs of info on this machine. All about autos, bikes, and the hobby.

What are you interested in? Women? That's another whole category. LOL!
    Terry

how much Gb on women then? Roadtests too?
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Wow...quite a collection!

Quote Originally Posted by henk4 View Post
    Yes Henk, I aim to please. How about The Drag-On-Lady - Shirley Shahan, or ''Jungle'' Pam Hardy? Looking at Pam might prove very interesting indeed! Let's just say that she brightens up every mans imagination wirth very big head-lamps. LOL!
    Terry

Quote Originally Posted by henk4 View Post
    Henk, I do have certain personal ''road tests'' on women, but my motto is ''no sex, just talk!''

It's gets them very curious and as they say; ''curiousity gets the cat''!
    Terry

I do remember one of the Lincoln road tests from the 50s being aimed at women in some way. Very nearly sexist.
    Last edited by jcp123; 10-09-2012 at 01:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jcp123 View Post
    I do remember one of the Lincoln road tests from the 50s being aimed at women in some way. Very nearly sexist.
    I don't recall that test off hand. However, many of the ads for luxury cars were sexist in nature but they were subtle and subdued well into the eighties.

A number of Buick Riveria ads were very sexist in the early to mid sixties. So were a few Hurst Shifter product ads. I will dig up a few and post them.

Mustang ads were always sexist; women made up a large segment of the buying market and Ford penetrated that end very well.
    Terry

Quote Originally Posted by dog ear View Post
    I don't recall that test off hand. However, many of the ads for luxury cars were sexist in nature but they were subtle and subdued well into the eighties.

A number of Buick Riveria ads were very sexist in the early to mid sixties. So were a few Hurst Shifter product ads. I will dig up a few and post them.
    I vaguely recall something about the Lincoln's more sensible size, automatic transmission, light steering and power brakes making it perfect for woman drivers in that review. Plus it retained enough hat room for guys or gals. It would have been, maybe, in '52 or '53-ish.

Quote Originally Posted by dog ear View Post
    Mustang ads were always sexist; women made up a large segment of the buying market and Ford penetrated that end very well.
    Sorry, I had to chuckle. Correct point you made though. "Secretaries' Cars"...
    Last edited by jcp123; 10-09-2012 at 05:37 PM.

Here is a few ''Jungle'' Pam Hardy pics. She was drag racer ''Jungle Jim'' Liberman's GF in the seventies. Together, they made the ''act'' come alive. It was great showmanship for the fans. Enjoy!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Terry

Thread Information