Page 44 of 44 FirstFirst ... 34424344

Thread: Foreign Interests

Quote Originally Posted by Fleet 500 View Post
    It sure is a long street... 42.8 miles going from the extreme northern part of the San Fernando Valley in Mission Hills to the Long Beach area.
    42.8 miles?! Has it got buildings on it the whole way?

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndclasscitizen View Post
    42.8 miles?! Has it got buildings on it the whole way?
    No, not at all. A stretch of it goes through the Santa Monica Mountains and that's about 7 or 8 miles right there.
    '76 Cadillac Fleetwood Seventy-Five Limousine, '95 Lincoln Town Car.

No, not at all. A stretch of it goes through the Santa Monica Mountains and that's about 7 or 8 miles right there.
    Ah righto, that makes sense. For a minute I thought it was a 42.8 mile long straight street.

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndclasscitizen View Post
    Ah righto, that makes sense. For a minute I thought it was a 42.8 mile long straight street.
    Overall, kind of straight in the L.A. basin and in the valley, but some curves when going through the mountains.

Quote Originally Posted by nota View Post
    The word you oh-so conviniently neglected to include is OPTIONAL fleet. Like for disc brakes, headrests etc etc etc. Talk about Chevrolet!
    Both front disc brakes and headrests (as listed, from Jan., 1969) were standard on 1969 Cadillacs.

Even as late as 1969 Cadillac was such a cheap stingy outfit they actually stung their premium customers a lousy extra $16 for the 'luxury' of getting a decent horn With soft horns like standard its no wonder they're such a limp car, no doubt specially crafted for limp drivers
    My Cadillacs have the standard horns, and they are LOUD! Not the "beep beep," but HONK HONK!

So much for all that typically transparent bluff 'n bluster pretence of being 'Standard of the World' wot a joke
    You don't realize that the base price of '69 Cadillacs were not that high, especially when compared with Lincoln and Imperial. For instance, a Coupe de Ville cost $5,721 without options. If most of the options were standard equipment, it would cost about the same as a well-equipped one anyway.

And power seats were standard on some models.
    (I just noticed this particular post, the reason for this late reply.)
    Last edited by Fleet 500; 05-06-2007 at 06:30 PM.

I'm sorry Fleet, but I've always thought that the ultimate american limousine was the Lincoln Continental.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    I'm sorry Fleet, but I've always thought that the ultimate american limousine was the Lincoln Continental.
    Lol. The custom ones are nice; too bad Lincoln didn't make factory limos in the '60s.

BTW, I'm trying to find a Cadillac limo-only folder (6 pages) which describes how many parts are practically hand-built.
    As usual, I can't find the car-related brochure I'm looking for.

BTW, I'm trying to find a Cadillac limo-only folder (6 pages) which describes how many parts are practically hand-built.
    As usual, I can't find the car-related brochure I'm looking for.
    I finally found the brochure I was looking for.

First to quote nota:
    "The (Mercedes 600 limo) is a limited production car in a class far above any contemporary Cadillac." 4-30-07 [The Cadillac limo was also a limited production car]

"As to the quality of construction, allow me to sum it up this way:It is generally unrealistic (and not a little presumptuous) to compare a Mercedes 600 limo and Rollers to the lowly "air wrench-built" Cads."
    - - - - - - - - -

From the Cadillac limousine and Nine-Passenger Brochure:
    "Daily production ranges from 6 to 12 vehicles- making their assembly rate among the lowest in the world. Body assembly operators are craftsmen in the truest sense of the word. Some are proficient with eight to ten power tools and 20 different hand tools. In fact, many key employees can- and sometimes do- the complete final body assembly, except for the paint.
    Many key operations are done by hand [no air wrenches here!]. For instance, the disappearing art of soldering is extensively used. Although time-consuming, it provides an attractive and durable exterior finish where metal meets metal.
    Almost 200 components are custom-made. These car bodies are built at one of the few assembly plants left in America that still fabricates its own interior trim. Interiors can be special ordered in almost any color or material that meets Cadillac's requirements.
    Every Nine-Passenger Sedan and Limousine receives at least 12 hours of inspection."
    Attached Images Attached Images

Leave it. Please. We've understood it. Seriously.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    Leave it. Please. We've understood it. Seriously.
    You understand. Hopefully, nota finally does now.

"Body assembly operators are craftsmen in the truest sense of the word. Some are proficient with eight to ten power tools .. [no air wrenches here!].[
    Cadillac: 'Power tools yes' ... Fleet: 'air wrenches no'

Well gee .. what can I say?

How about that I too am proficient with eight to ten power tools! Does that make me a crafsman "in the truest sense of the word"?

(I sense a possible new career grinding out Cadillacs)

"Daily production ranges from 6 to 12 vehicles- making their assembly rate among the lowest in the world.
    Gosh you can be funny when you try!

"among the lowest in the world" .. eh?

Especially when we compare that daily 'limited production' Cadillac build-rate (as you are attempting to do) against the corresponding numbers for Mercedes 600

Cadillac > 6 to 12 built per working day (maybe 2100 cars in one year?)

M-B 600 > a mere 2,677 constructed = about sixteen times less than Cadillac's supposedly "among the lowest" air-wrench assembly rate
    You understand. Hopefully, nota finally does now.
    Yep I sure do!

So should you
    Last edited by nota; 05-28-2007 at 03:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by nota View Post
    Cadillac: 'Power tools yes' ... Fleet: 'air wrenches no'

Well gee .. what can I say?

How about that I too am proficient with eight to ten power tools! Does that make me a crafsman "in the truest sense of the word"?

(I sense a possible new career grinding out Cadillacs)
    Boy, you sure are getting desperate! How would you know on what parts air wrenches were used and what were not? And you don't even know what kind of power tools were used mentioned in the brochure. If you have been building quality cars for about 25 years, then maybe you would be a craftsman.
    BTW, I don't think Cadillac would want you!

Gosh you can be funny when you try!
    You are funny even when you're not trying!

"among the lowest in the world" .. eh?

Especially when we compare that daily 'limited production' Cadillac build-rate (as you are attempting to do) against the corresponding numbers for Mercedes 600

Cadillac > 6 to 12 built per working day (maybe 2100 cars in one year?)

M-B 600 > a mere 2,677 constructed = about sixteen times less than Cadillac's supposedly "among the lowest" air-wrench assembly rate
    You haven't shown that the Cadillac series 75 was not among the lowest in the world. You compared it with one other car (Mercedes). The brochure said among the lowest in the world; it didn't say the lowest.
    Amazing how some people can't accept anything!

Yep I sure do!

So should you
    I sure do! I realize that the top-of-the-line Cadillacs were built different from the others ones, and were much closer in build quality than Mercedes and Rolls than someone on this board will ever admit to!

Thread Information