Thread: Buy Your Aunt's house for 50k make 2.4 Billion

Buy Your Aunt's house for 50k make 2.4 Billion

This is amazing! I need to find some of this Mica Schist....................

VERO BEACH, Fla. -- Who's the wealthiest Dodger?
    Jason Schmidt? Jeff Kent? Frank McCourt?

It could be Matt White.

Who?

White is a 29-year-old left-handed journeyman pitcher in camp on a Minor League contract who's pitched a total of 9 2/3 Major League innings in nine professional seasons and he's sitting on a gold mine.

Actually, it's a rock quarry.

Four years ago, White bought a 50-acre piece of property in Massachusetts from his ailing Aunt Josephine, who was going into a nursing home. He planned to build a house on the property, but discovered it to be absolutely covered with rock. A geologist determined the property was loaded with mica schist, a slate-like shiny metamorphic stone used for patio decks and other construction.

"I never built the house and instead started selling the rock," said White, whose father runs the business. "It turned out to be a blessing in disguise. The geologist said I've got 24 million tons of it and it sells for $100 a ton."

So, according to White's math, he's sitting on a $2.4 billion mountain of rock. That's billion, with a "B." The property cost him $50,000.

He could parlay the fortunate real estate play into buying, say, a baseball club. It's been known to happen. So, why still bother with baseball on the player end, especially with the likelihood of cracking the Dodgers' deep Major League pitching staff no better than remote?

"This is fun," said White, who has played with Boston, Seattle and Washington. "I wouldn't retire. What else am I going to do?"

A teammate of Billy Koch and Kris Benson at Clemson, White was originally drafted by Cleveland and was twice taken in the Rule 5 draft. He spent the 2006 season at Philadelphia's Triple-A affiliate at Scranton/Wilkes-Barre, where he was 7-9 with a 3.58 ERA and played winter ball in Venezuela.

I read this a few minutes ago, he sounds like a really nice, down to earth kinda guy. I hope he makes to the big-show... The rocks are nice to have though, so he won't have to worry about money.
    ...Utah! Get me two...

is it acreage or a residential neighborhood? if it's that latter i doubt he'll ever be able to get anywhere near that much rock out.
    He came dancing across the water
    With his galleons and guns
    Looking for the new world
    In that palace in the sun
    On the shore lay Montezuma
    With his cocoa leaves and pearls

So this is no BS? There are 24 million tons of rocks under his property or are the rocks jsut all over the 50 acres or what?

I don't know all the details my buddy just sent me the article this morning. If it is true, I'll buy the property off of him for 60K!

Quote Originally Posted by KeepIt View Post
    I don't know all the details my buddy just sent me the article this morning. If it is true, I'll buy the property off of him for 60K!
    This guys a genius

Thread Information