Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 1,000 Miles in 36 Hours

1,000 Miles in 36 Hours

I know some of you may not believe me and I suppose I have nothing to verify this other than some gas receipts and my word. But on the other hand, I have been a member here for some time and I don't think I have given any of you a reason to distrust me.

Anyway, last week was my college's (Ball State Univeristy, in Indian) spring break and I drove to Wisconsin with my girlfriend to see my parents. We were there from last Sunday to this Friday when I got a call from my college's newspaper, where I work. They needed me to cover a basketball tournament in Cleveland, OH and I had to be there Sunday. So Saturday we got up at 7AM headed out at 8AM and drove 8 hours to Indiana where my girlfriend lives; spent the night at her mom's house then got up Sunday and drove 4 and a half hours to Cleveland and I took pictures of the game (Ball State Women won 55-51 to advance to their first ever NCAA Tourney). Then we got in the car and drove 5 hours back here to Muncie, IN. So the total mileage from my parents house to my house in Muncie was 1,030.8 miles (I kept track on my 2nd trip odometer). I got here at 9PM Eastern Time and left at 8AM central time Saturday. So there it is. 1,000+ miles in 36 hours.

Anyone here done more than that?
    Attached Images Attached Images

ive done over 100 miles in 2 days of driving, but we took a break for a day in the middle. friday drove from newport, ri to greensboro, nc... then sunday drove from greensboro to jacksonville fl.

and then we drove from jacksonville to northern ca in 4 1/2 days.
    Honor. Courage. Commitment. Etcetera.

Wisconsin to Denver, 1000 miles, about 19 hours.
    "Horsepower sells motor cars, but torque wins motor races."
    -Carrol Shelby

our distances are not that great, the farthest we did in one go was from home to Toulon (Paul Ricard). 1260 km in about 11 hours or so. Regular trips include Geneva (1000 km) normally well within 10 hours), Milan, (depending on the Gotthard tunnel, but also about 1000 km in less than 10 hours. Our regular wintersport location is 1050 km away, never more than 10 hours for that too.
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by henk4 View Post
    our distances are not that great, the farthest we did in one go was from home to Toulon (Paul Ricard). 1260 km in about 11 hours or so. Regular trips include Geneva (1000 km) normally well within 10 hours), Milan, (depending on the Gotthard tunnel, but also about 1000 km in less than 10 hours. Our regular wintersport location is 1050 km away, never more than 10 hours for that too.
    100km/h is a good average speed.. i think my record average speed was over 76 mph, including stops for gas and food. that was only over about 500 miles.

i went to college 800 miles from home, and i got that down to just over 12 hours. and mind you this was in forst a isuzu pickup and then in an old honda accord. not the much faster and more suitable cars for high speed driving that i have had since.

Long trip

Rapid City, South Dakota to Las Vegas, NV. 1,100 miles. Total elapsed time: 14 hours 50 minutes. Infiniti Q45. Snow flurries in Wyoming. Drafting semis heading into Salt Lake City at 110 mph. Never exceeded 140 mph. Nice trip!

My family used to go from MN to SC every August from before I was born until I was 17. When we drove through the night it'd be roughly 1375 miles in around 24 hours. Not fun.

Barcelona - Modena (1100km) in about 10 hours twice in the BMW and the Mini respectively. And then Roma - Mulhouse (960km) in about 9 hours in the Mini.

My record average speed is 146km/h fron Girona to Barcelona (110km).
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

the only road I keep timing is from my parents' house to that of a friend. winding country side roads, 25 km in 25 minutes, with the Stilo.
    KFL Racing Enterprises - Kicking your ass since 2008

*cough* http://theitalianjunkyard.blogspot.com/ *cough*

Me, my wife and gtsorbust have done the ~1,800 mile drive from Monterey to Kansas City in ~34 hours - back in 2004. We took 3 days and drove out... spent 5 days there and then drove back non-stop (well, almost non-stop, we slept in the car in Albuquerque for about 3 hours at one point.)

On 3 occasions, gtsorbust (Matt) and I have driven to Detroit and back in a weekend... drive up on saturday, crash saturday night, shoot Meadowbrook on Sunday, get in the car and drive home. Ends up being about a 1,600 mile round trip and taking about 48 hours from my front door and back.
    Last edited by nopassn; 03-17-2009 at 01:20 PM.
    ...Utah! Get me two...

Well the other thing about my trip was I did all the driving; my girlfriend can't drive manual. But you guys have done some crazy trips too. I guess that's why we all love cars and driving!

1500 Miles in 24 hours of straight shift driving from San Francisco to Calgary
    The McLaren F1- The most fun you can have with your clothes on

"Live Fast, Die Young, and Leave a Good Looking Corpse" -James Dean, weeks before dying in a car crash at the age of 24

Quote Originally Posted by ScionDriver View Post
    Well the other thing about my trip was I did all the driving; my girlfriend can't drive manual. But you guys have done some crazy trips too. I guess that's why we all love cars and driving!
    yeah.. its fun to see all of the stupid and unsafe drives we have all done. but they are still sort of fun.

Quote Originally Posted by cmcpokey View Post
    yeah.. its fun to see all of the stupid and unsafe drives we have all done. but they are still sort of fun.
    I never felt stupid or unsafe. If you are in the right car and on the right roads you can drive for a very long time.
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

1,580 miles from Massena NY to Miami Florida in 23 hours (give or take) with a Chevy Trailblazer and two drivers. Down and back. We've done this three times.
    John says:
    so i had to dump acid into the block tank today
    i'm afraid to fap
    cause i got it on my hands

Thread Information