Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 2006 San Marino Grand Prix - Schumacher beats Senna's qualifying record

2006 San Marino Grand Prix - Schumacher beats Senna's qualifying record

Qualifying for the fourth round of the 2006 FIA World F1 Championship, the San Marino Grand Prix at Imola has just been completed. Michael Schumacher has finally taking the one record that wasn't next to his name. By taking pole position for tomorrow's race, Schumacher now has the record for the most pole positions, finally beating Ayrton Senna's record of 65 poles.
    Second and third are the Honda's of Jenson Button and Ruebins Barrichello - who finally seems to be coming to grips with his Honda.
    Massa is fourth, Alonso fifth, Ralf is sixth, Montoya seventh, Raikkonen eigth, Trulli ninth and Webber tenth. The McLarens are probably heavy as usual and I suspect from his last session time that Webber is as well.
    Can Schumacher win? His last real grand prix win (last years US Grand Prix doesn't count) was the 2004 Japanese Grand Prix - which was a long time back.
    Last edited by motorsportnerd; 04-23-2006 at 08:12 PM.
    UCP's biggest Ford Sierra RS500 and BMW M3 E30 fan. My two favourite cars of all time.

D/W, threads merged.

Think i'll have to set the VCR for this one as i wont get a chance to see it.

Will be interesting to see how the heavy qualy tactics work on this one - on one hand, the lack of overtaking will make it hard to get passed, but will the lack of pace result in the field running away and making a buffer?

Will also be interesting to see how long MS can go for on his first stint, although hes been fast all weekend so i dont think it was an act of desperation
    I am the Stig

http://www.itv-f1.com/News_Article.aspx?PO_ID=35643

Schu takes historic 66th pole
    Saturday, 22, April, 2006, 14:14

Micheal Schumacher put in a brilliant performance at Imola to break Ayrton Senna's record of 65 career poles.

The Ferrari ace has been dominant all weekend and now starts the San Marino Grand Prix ahead of the two Hondas of Jenson Button and Rubens Barrichello.

Here's how it happened...

Phase 3:

Michael Schumacher has taken an historic pole position for the San Marino Grand Prix at Imola.

The seven-time world champion claimed a 66th career pole, one more than the legendary Ayrton Senna, and his fifth at the Italian circuit.

Schumacher has dominated through-out the weekend and Ferrari and Bridgestone seem to have an edge this weekend.

Jenson Button put in a brilliant last minute effort to join the great man on the front row.

The Honda star just beat his revitalised Honda team-mate Rubens Barrichello with his final flying lap.

Felipe Massa moved up to fourth in the second Ferrari with his final quick lap while world champion Fernando Alonso could only manage fifth.

This will be Renault's worst collective starting positions on a track that is notorious for its lack of overtaking opportunities.

Ralf Schumacher ended the session sixth after a strong weekend so far for the Toyota driver.

Juan Pablo Montoya's last lap put him ahead of his McLaren team-mate Kimi Raikkonen as the pair occupy the fourth row in what looked like two heavily-fuelled cars.

Jarno Trulli was ninth, while Mark Webber appeared to be conserving his Williams for the race in tenth.

Phase 2:

Michael Schumacher set an awesome lap of 1m22.579s to scorch his way in to the final top ten shoot-out after the second phase of qualifying.

The big surprise though is that Giancarlo Fisichella has been knocked out after being caught out in the final tumble of times.

Schumacher was more than half a second quicker than McLaren star Kimi Raikkonen, who for the first time this weekend gave us a glimpse of his true potential.

Ralf Schumacher maintained his astonishing pace for Toyota by going third quickest again, while Felipe Massa was fourth after a mistake in the chicane.

Mark Webber put in a last minute blinder to go fifth, although his lap ensured that Williams team-mate Nico Rosberg will not be in the top-ten shoot-out.

Jarno Trulli made it two Toyotas in the top ten ahead of former team-mate Fernando Alonso.

Both Hondas made it in with Rubens Barrichello matching Jenson Button's pace.

Juan Pablo Montoya was the man on the bubble.

With the times so close, Fisi was to a certain extent unlucky just to be caught out at the wrong time.

He was joined in the drop zone by Jacques Villeneuve, Rosberg, David Coulthard; Vitantonio Liuzzi and Nick Heidfeld who clouted the wall at Rivazza two right at the end of the segment.

Phase 1:

Fernando Alonso set the fastest time of the weekend so far to secure his place in the second part of qualifying for the San Marino Grand Prix.

His 1m23.536s lap was nearly a second faster than McLaren's Kimi Raikkonen and Toyota's Ralf Schumacher, who replicated his free practice speed from this morning.

Giancarlo Fisichella was fourth ahead of Jarno Trulli in the second Toyota.

Jenson Button, Michael Schumacher and Rubens Barrichello are all comfortably through.

David Coulthard was forced to use another set of tyres to ensure his place in Phase 2, while Vitantonio Liuzzi was impressive in 11th.

Nico Rosberg and Juan Pablo Montoya are also both through despite being in spare cars after problems in practice.

Christian Klien was the biggest name to get dumped out of the session. The Austrian Red Bull driver set the same time as Nick Heidfeld, but lost out because he completed his lap later.

Also out are Scott Speed, Tiago Monteiro, Christijan Albers, Takuma Sato and Yuji Ide.
    I am the Stig

Hopefully webber can get to the end, WHY didnt he go to Renault when he had the chance.

FPV what sort of car is that in your avatar ?
    SA IPRA cars 15, 25, 51 & 77
    Sharperto Racing IP Corollas
    http://www.sharperto.com.au/

Quote Originally Posted by charged
    Hopefully webber can get to the end, WHY didnt he go to Renault when he had the chance.

FPV what sort of car is that in your avatar ?
    he should have gone to renault ur right, but i like Webber, he needs a good car and he can do wicked... if Kimi goes, i want Webber to come to McLaren, but i dont want kimi to go

and FPV's avatar is a FORD IOSIS concept car

Webber must be fat on fuel, his time was so far off the pace, Im thinking that in a rental car, i might have cracked a 1.23, hell, a rental around Imola, I woulda cracked somethen...so his 1.25 or whatever isnt very impressive if its just a normal 2 stopper... I didnt see the telecast though, channel 10 here in Oz loves its AFL too much. When he started in f1, ya just knew he'd be in a williams though...
    Serial Pest
    05 Forever

Quote Originally Posted by Daz27
    Webber must be fat on fuel, his time was so far off the pace, Im thinking that in a rental car, i might have cracked a 1.23, hell, a rental around Imola, I woulda cracked somethen...so his 1.25 or whatever isnt very impressive if its just a normal 2 stopper... I didnt see the telecast though, channel 10 here in Oz loves its AFL too much. When he started in f1, ya just knew he'd be in a williams though...
    From what I could see from the TV footage (which was pretty poorly directed, may aswell have been called 'The Ferrari Show') Webber didn't really put too much effort into that final session. He was a whole seconnd down on his time in the second session, so seems to me like they'd just settled for 10th spot and will be brimmed on fuel, probably almost as much as those in 11th and 12th. He spent most of his time just dodging the Ferraris, Hondas et al that were flying past him.

On another subject, did anyone see the rpm graphic on Kimi's on board shots? It looked as though they were nudging 21,000 revs!
    Unless McLaren-Mercedes have taken a Herculean leap forward in terms of engine performance (unlikely given their relatively modest grid positions) then I'm guessing it was a glitch in the graphics software.

Vid here:- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CD5RtpLiUB0&search=imola
    uәʞoɹq spɹɐoqʎәʞ ʎɯ

Yeah I was surprised at Webber in the last session as he pulled over and gave lots of space to everyone else lapping.
    WHat condition were his weekends tyres in ?
    Had he flatted earlier sets ?
    Maybe he was having to keep a good set for the race options.
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Then why bother going on track?
    Serial Pest
    05 Forever

Then why bother going on track?
    Sponsors !!! Track, pit and TV coverage. THe fans woudl be a bit pissed having come to see Webber and him chose not to go on track.

Also they might end up fined fro "disrepute" by not running the car.
    So I suspect most likely the former with a bit of the latter "just in case"

EDIT:
    Interesting possible "interpretation" for the regs too .....
    "116) If, in the opinion of the stewards, a driver deliberately stops on the circuit or impedes another driver in any way during the qualifying practice session his times will be cancelled."

Not going out MIGHT be deemed as being "deliberately stopped" and they could have cancelled his times and he'd have been last on the grid !!!!

So I'm now pretty sure it was a PYA act ( Protect Your Ass )
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Ok, one lap, pit in, save those vital miles on an engine thats done a race already at a noted hp circuit... Seems to be THE thing these days
    Serial Pest
    05 Forever

Oh, to get round the rule? Car wouldnt start, i useit everytime im late for work...
    Serial Pest
    05 Forever

sowe know who qualified where, but how are we supposed to watch the race? I cant find it any where and its not even listed on Speed's programming schedule
    eat cicada

Quote Originally Posted by SIMPLETON
    sowe know who qualified where, but how are we supposed to watch the race? I cant find it any where and its not even listed on Speed's programming schedule
    The San Marino GP is on CBS tomorrow at 10am Pacific standard time

Oh, to get round the rule? Car wouldnt start, i useit everytime im late for work...
    But if you fail to start it compeltely the clerk of the course may decide that you thus have a "failed" engine and so penalised 10 places for next race too

Don't forget that other teams will pressurise the marshals to apply the rules !!!

The one lap, gets past the officials but STILL pisses off the sponsors and the fans

But I like your tenacity, you must do well when scrutineering for your events. That mindset is good for catching others trying to cheat. Poacher turned game-keeper
    Last edited by Matra et Alpine; 04-22-2006 at 08:41 PM.

Thread Information