Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Chavez loses constitutional vote

Quote Originally Posted by roosterjuicer View Post
    I remember hearing that the short work week is a major part of Frances economic weakness. What is England's work week like? Whats Japans? Whats Germany's like?
    we have 37-40 hours and we are doing fine....plus over 25 days vacation a year...
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by henk4 View Post
    we have 37-40 hours and we are doing fine....plus over 25 days vacation a year...
    Acoording to this: List of countries by GDP (nominal) per capita - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

... the Neteherlands has a GDP per capita of USD 40,571, Venezuela of USD 6,736 and Colombia of USD 2,888. So yes, you can afford 36 hour weeks. We can't, we have to compete against china in labour intensive goods, and against developed countries in tech intensive goods and we can't do that with 36 hour weeks. Venezuela is petroluem rich, so they can afford it for now, but this will only work against them in every other industry. At least those that have to compete against international products.

So, good for you, lame for us.
    Zag when they Zig

I asked the question directly but I was more interested in your very generalistic statement that our educational system is so poor thats kid have to find solace in drugs.....
    From my own experience and that of many friends our current schooling system is not challenging for teenagers at all. It is all dry theory and waaaaaay to many boring in-between hours. Besides the theory nothing is learned anymore. The theory itself is also utter crap, as you can clearly see a difference in knowledge from students say 5-6 years older than me. Because of that almost any teacher I had was complaining to us that we were so bloody dumb, while it wasn't our fault but that of the system.

In the first 2 years of school, we get exactly the same as everybody else. From VMBO to Gymnasium levels. Honestly I did nothing in those years except sleep and walk around on the streets. As with a lot of people, sitting doing nothing, is much less attractive as to actually do something. Walking around with friends, being "cool" and doing things not allowed is way more interesting.

Especially on the VMBO schools it is really bad nowadays. The VMBO schools in Brielle have a drop-out rate of around 40%. Pretty bad. The education given there is so useless, they can't do shit with their diploma's anyway after school. Try and find a job, like for example carpenter, with such a diploma. Impossible. As imaginable it is waaaaaaay easier to go out, have fun and screw everybody.

The "studiehuis" doesn't work at all. It is completely useless to let kids search everywhere for information, they don't want to know anyway. They will not do it, or the minimum required. Out of pity the teacher will likely raise the grades to atleast get a majority of sufficients. From my experience don't want to do ANY effort to explain something to their students anymore. The pick the easy way out and say, that we should find it out ourselves. Bloody useless as 9/10 times you won't find the correct thing anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by IBrake4Rainbows View Post
    I'll acknowledge Drakkie just quickly - what do YOU know of dutch politics? you've seen the worst side of life, and because of that you think the whole countries in the S**thole? come again?
    I can say I am farely engaged into politics. I am a member of the liberal youth movement, JOVD (not at all conservative as someone here claims). I read atleast three different newspapers a day and in my direct environment I speak to a very diverse group of people, with very different attitude's towards things. I have come from very very far to where I am now, I've seen many things that are so wrong (for example barely any psychological care for youths). The current Dutch political trend seems to hop from useless debate about tiny matters (like a local government guy getting a blowjob in the car park..) to the next one. More or less fed by the media the important matters get forgotten or pushed away to next year. That ain't a very good way to run a country. Our current government seems to be afraid of responsibility.

Quote Originally Posted by john14 View Post
    Exactly Wouter. Drakkie seems to be more worried about The Netherlands' future! He doesn'r realise countries like Iran, North Korea, Sudan, Russia and Venezuela have much more human suffering and problems than The Netherlands.
    I know they are pretty bad situations and it is impossible to overlook that. But to claim you know it better than them, while your own country is a slightly less big mess is not the way to go and imho very wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by magracer View Post
    Acoording to this: List of countries by GDP (nominal) per capita - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

... the Neteherlands has a GDP per capita of USD 40,571, Venezuela of USD 6,736 and Colombia of USD 2,888. So yes, you can afford 36 hour weeks. We can't, we have to compete against china in labour intensive goods, and against developed countries in tech intensive goods and we can't do that with 36 hour weeks. Venezuela is petroluem rich, so they can afford it for now, but this will only work against them in every other industry. At least those that have to compete against international products.

So, good for you, lame for us.
    I was actually replying to Roosterjuicer, who is American. If you had asked the same question I would have replied in a very different way.
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

I was actually replying to Roosterjuicer, who is American. If you had asked the same question I would have replied in a very different way.
    how would you have replied differently?

37-40 is pretty standard for america too but anything over 40 is overtime pay. is anything over 37 overtime pay for you?
    A woman goes to the doctor to figure out why she is having breathing problems...The doctor tells her she is overweight. She says she wants a second opinion...the doctor says, "your ugly".

Quote Originally Posted by drakkie View Post
    From my own experience and that of many friends our current schooling system is not challenging for teenagers at all. It is all dry theory and waaaaaay to many boring in-between hours. Besides the theory nothing is learned anymore. The theory itself is also utter crap, as you can clearly see a difference in knowledge from students say 5-6 years older than me. Because of that almost any teacher I had was complaining to us that we were so bloody dumb, while it wasn't our fault but that of the system.

In the first 2 years of school, we get exactly the same as everybody else. From VMBO to Gymnasium levels. Honestly I did nothing in those years except sleep and walk around on the streets. As with a lot of people, sitting doing nothing, is much less attractive as to actually do something. Walking around with friends, being "cool" and doing things not allowed is way more interesting.

Especially on the VMBO schools it is really bad nowadays. The VMBO schools in Brielle have a drop-out rate of around 40%. Pretty bad. The education given there is so useless, they can't do shit with their diploma's anyway after school. Try and find a job, like for example carpenter, with such a diploma. Impossible. As imaginable it is waaaaaaay easier to go out, have fun and screw everybody.

The "studiehuis" doesn't work at all. It is completely useless to let kids search everywhere for information, they don't want to know anyway. They will not do it, or the minimum required. Out of pity the teacher will likely raise the grades to atleast get a majority of sufficients. From my experience don't want to do ANY effort to explain something to their students anymore. The pick the easy way out and say, that we should find it out ourselves. Bloody useless as 9/10 times you won't find the correct thing anyway.

I can say I am farely engaged into politics. I am a member of the liberal youth movement, JOVD (not at all conservative as someone here claims). I read atleast three different newspapers a day and in my direct environment I speak to a very diverse group of people, with very different attitude's towards things. I have come from very very far to where I am now, I've seen many things that are so wrong (for example barely any psychological care for youths). The current Dutch political trend seems to hop from useless debate about tiny matters (like a local government guy getting a blowjob in the car park..) to the next one. More or less fed by the media the important matters get forgotten or pushed away to next year. That ain't a very good way to run a country. Our current government seems to be afraid of responsibility.

I know they are pretty bad situations and it is impossible to overlook that. But to claim you know it better than them, while your own country is a slightly less big mess is not the way to go and imho very wrong.
    Oh, poor you.

The local city government where I live spent their time fighting and namecalling. Then they decided to ban plastic bags at major grocery stores.
    I'm dropping out to create a company that starts with motorcycles, then cars, and forty years later signs a legendary Brazilian driver who has a public and expensive feud with his French teammate.

Quote Originally Posted by roosterjuicer View Post
    I remember hearing that the short work week is a major part of Frances economic weakness. What is England's work week like? Whats Japans? Whats Germany's like?
    I DO know that Japans workforce works long enough to be considered slaves...

Do they get paid?

Quote Originally Posted by The_Canuck View Post
    Do they get paid?
    Heeyo!

You gotta break a few eggs to make an omlette.
    A woman goes to the doctor to figure out why she is having breathing problems...The doctor tells her she is overweight. She says she wants a second opinion...the doctor says, "your ugly".

Quote Originally Posted by MadMax13 View Post
    Ok, calling Bush the devil is no different than making an "Axis of Evil" and waging war against them with your "Coalition of the Willing", sounds biblical.

I KNOW hes freed the airwaves, and dont try to tell me hes silenced opposition because those radio stations called for his assassination and i KNOW the FCC wouldnt allow that. C'mon, you get arrested just for calling for impeachement.

The nationalization of the oil has actually brought in enough revenue to up the education budget, as well as other budgets.

Plenty of countries has shorter than 40 hour work weeks and theyre doing fine. You are calling bullshit before the problem has actually arisen, there isnt even HINTS of a problem yet. Lets wait and see before we go tearing him limb from limb...
    You have no idea do you?

Apart from what Magracer said:

Chavez even bought part of the External Debt of Argentina, gave money away to Bolivia, constantly gives money and oil to Cuba, he even provides weapons to Colombian Guerrillas.... and all this while HIS country has a population with an 80%+ level of poverty. You can actually FEEL how the country deteriorates day-by-day, while it should be at its climax considering oil prices and the BILLIONS of US dollars that we get each day..

He's buddy buddy with Mahmoud Ahmadinejad and has been recently talking about implementing nuclear crap in Vzla... WHY? Do we need it? Do we want it? Do we really need super-expensive Russian war planes? WTF are you going to do with it?? The "American Empire" could take care of Vzla quicker than it takes care of Iraq. Wasting the country's money is his specialty, and that DOES NOT help the country.

Quote Originally Posted by MadMax13 View Post
    I DO know that Japans workforce works long enough to be considered slaves...
    Unfortunately they get paid a salary.

It's not a matter of getting forced, it's the culture that encourages you to work like a dog.
    I'm dropping out to create a company that starts with motorcycles, then cars, and forty years later signs a legendary Brazilian driver who has a public and expensive feud with his French teammate.

Thread Information