Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Advice on Large back packs for travelling?

Advice on Large back packs for travelling?

Am going to Japan for 3 weeks in January and just wanting to know how big of a pack (in litres preferably) I should be looking at taking. I need to carry enough to last a week without access to a washing machine. Have a limit of 15kg to take on the way over so I have room to take things I buy on the way back. Any ideas people and anything I need to look out for?

Black Wolf has some good packs.

I have one (forget the model) is is 75L with a 10L removable backpack. It has a flap so you can hide the sholuder straps while travelling and so they don't catch (especially on a plane).

It may not be exactly what you are loking for but i have only had good experiences with Black Wolf so go with them and about 75L should do it
    I want to die in my sleep like my Grandma, not screaming like the other 3 people in her car.

There are 10 types of people in this world. People who understand binary and people who don't.

^ what he said. I use one of their backpacks for uni. that thing can fit 2 A3 50 page pads in there, my lunch, architecture supplies and my iPod....and i've still got 3 pockets to use.

it's about the same size as a regular back pack, which is just astonishing.
    <cough> www.charginmahlazer.tumblr.com </cough>

Spaz, you're going to Japan. I'm dying of jealousy now.
    "Take my swimming trunks, I won't need them." - Frank Costanza. "What does he want with your swimming trunks." - Estelle Costanza. "Why should they go to waste." - Frank Costanza - Seinfeld

I have a Kelty Red Cloud 6800. I use it for backpacking in the wilderness. It holds about a weeks worth of food, water for 2 days, tools, clothing for 4 days, sleeping bag, and many other items that can be strapped to the back. If all your hauling is clothing, then the red cloud should hold a weeks worth.

Remember if you plan on carrying this long distances of 7 or more miles a day, keep the weight of the pack to around 1/3 your body weight.

The pack has an internal frame and is quite comfortable.
    "Horsepower sells motor cars, but torque wins motor races."
    -Carrol Shelby

Quote Originally Posted by Spastik_Roach View Post
    Am going to Japan for 3 weeks in January and just wanting to know how big of a pack (in litres preferably) I should be looking at taking. I need to carry enough to last a week without access to a washing machine. Have a limit of 15kg to take on the way over so I have room to take things I buy on the way back. Any ideas people and anything I need to look out for?
    why would you have a limit of 15kg while every economy flight gives at least 20 kg allowance? Or are you flying with a company that includes 5 kg handluggage within the total? Last time that happened to me was with Uzbekistan Airlines....
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

For your run of the mill school-style backpack, can't really go wrong with Jansport. If you're looking for a rugged, camping style backpack with much more functionality and room, I'd hit up an Eastern Mountain Sports store (if you have one, if not, something similar) and check out the likes of The North Face or Keltey.

A senior moment there henk
    He's keeping 5kg "empty" on the way out to fill up with goodies coming home
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine View Post
    A senior moment there henk
    He's keeping 5kg "empty" on the way out to fill up with goodies coming home
    he's that social?
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

I think I have the same one as acfsambo, I took that to Japan and didn't have to wash anything for 10 days. It should easily last you a week with room for packing in other things.

Quote Originally Posted by pimento View Post
    I think I have the same one as acfsambo, I took that to Japan and didn't have to wash anything for 10 days. It should easily last you a week with room for packing in other things.
    What's great about you guys is that traveling to Asian countries isn't so bad. You're nearly there as it is.

From America to there though, forget about it.

The North Face
    Gone:
    09 Ducati Monster 696
    09 Audi Q5 3.2
    03 Infiniti G35 Sedan
    07 Honda Civic Coupe LX 5spd

Current:
    10 BMW 335d
    12 Audi Q5 2.0t
    10 VW Jetta TDI
    11 Ducati Monster 796

Quote Originally Posted by NSXType-R View Post
    What's great about you guys is that traveling to Asian countries isn't so bad. You're nearly there as it is.

From America to there though, forget about it.
    Auckland to Tokyo 5491 miles
    San Francisco to Tokyo 5134 miles

Yeah, NZ is so "nearly there"
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Okay, nevermind that.

Maybe you guys are in the same/similar timezone then.

Little to no jet lag ftw.

south east asia would have been more correct. i'm heading to vietnam this coming monday still a 9 hour flight.
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

Thread Information