Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2011 Aston Martin LMP1

2011 Aston Martin LMP1

Aston Martin will return to the legendary Le Mans 24 Hour race in 2011 with a new LMP1 race car designed to compete for top honours.

The new Gulf Oil liveried car is being designed from the ground up with an Aston Martin open cockpit monocoque chassis and a new purpose-designed race engine.

Under the new Automobile Club De L’Ouest (ACO) technical regulations for 2011, Aston Martin now believes it has the opportunity to compete for top honours at the 24 Hour race against tough competition including the diesel-engined competitors. As with all Aston Martins, the new LMP1 will be petrol-powered and designed to make the best use of the ACO’s stringent regulations.

Aston Martin Chairman, David Richards said: “Having won the GT category twice at Le Mans in 2007 and 2008 and the Le Mans Series outright in 2009, we still want to achieve our ultimate goal of winning the 24 Hour race overall to bring the title back to Britain.

“In recent years, it has been impossible for petrol cars to compete on equal terms with the diesels. However, we now have assurances from the ACO that, with the adoption of the 2011 regulations, they will properly balance the performance of these new cars. Under these circumstances we have been prepared to develop Aston Martin’s first purpose-built racing chassis and engine for more than 50 years.

“Even with this new car, it will still be a ‘David and Goliath’ fight against the massive resources of our competitors, but we have become accustomed to this and relish the challenge.”

Work on the new chassis and engine has been progressing for several months at Aston Martin Racing’s headquarters in Banbury, UK and the first of a limited number of six cars will run in early 2011.

Dr. Ulrich Bez, CEO of Aston Martin said: “Racing is a fundamental part of Aston Martin’s heritage and Le Mans is the race that every true sports car maker aspires to win. While every aspect of this new LMP1 car has been built purely for racing, we also remain committed to developing race-winning GT cars based on our road cars. We are the only manufacturer to offer a race car for every category from GT1 to GT4.”

Aston Martin’s first and only outright victory at Le Mans was in 1959 with the DBR1 of Roy Salvadori and Carroll Shelby. Aston Martin Racing has been at the pinnacle of endurance racing since it was founded in 2004 with multiple factory and customer wins across the globe including two GT1 class victories at Le Mans in 2007 and 2008, and an overall Le Mans series win in 2009.

Attached Images Attached Images

i really hate that fin that comes out of the air scoop

I love how they incorporated the trademark side grill into the design. It's fitting perfectly.
    www.flickr.com/photos/maestro_ng

BTW: Aren't 2011 LMP1 cars supposed to have closed cocpits?

Quote Originally Posted by Ecnelis View Post
    BTW: Aren't 2011 LMP1 cars supposed to have closed cocpits?
    I don't believe so - people are currently speculating whether Audi will go coupe or spider on the R18.

They changed that rule a couple of years back....

But all 2011 car will have that ugly-arse fin....
    University of Toronto Formula SAE Alumni 2003-2007
    Formula Student Championship 2003, 2005, 2006
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

Quote Originally Posted by RacingManiac View Post
    They changed that rule a couple of years back....

But all 2011 car will have that ugly-arse fin....
    Wanted to ask about this fin. I've noticed it on all cars presented thus far (or, at least I suppose so - I've seen Lola, Oreca and now Aston.) and thought that it's just a tendency, but your comment makes me think that they will be obligatory, so will they?

Yes. Its part of the initiative to stop the problem of car developing lift in extreme yaw situation. The idea was to stop the recent flying of LMP cars. The old rule with the radius side edge and what not was part of it, but seeing they are still flying this was to be the most extreme measure to take....
    University of Toronto Formula SAE Alumni 2003-2007
    Formula Student Championship 2003, 2005, 2006
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

These shark fins don't look that bad after all
    Attached Images Attached Images

Wow.. I wish I can own one of these one day..

Aston Martin will be entering a new LMP1 car into the Le Mans 24-hour race in 2011 with a view to challenging for outright victory. As with all Aston Martins, the marque will be searching for an emotive name that truly captures the personality behind this year's entry.

Aston Martin is giving all enthusiasts the unique opportunity to be part of the company's history, as well as the chance to win a range of Aston Martin and Aston Martin Racing Merchandise by suggesting a name for this race car using the form below.

Join us in naming the 2011 Aston Martin Le Mans Race Car

B.U.F.F.

Big Ugly Fin Fellow

Chancellor of the Exchequer?
    Never own more cars than you can keep charged batteries in...

Algernon.
    Life's too short to drive bad cars.

i love to drive this car but not have but i wish one day have this and derive this on my way like foolish driving

Thread Information