Thread: Photography Competitions - the reserch -

Photography Competitions - the reserch -

Existing Photography Competitions -

Automotive Photography Competition - NO digital edit allowed (excluding crop & resize)

General Photography Competition - NO digital edit allowed (excluding crop & resize)

D-photography Edit Competition - Limited digital edit alowed (blur, crop, resize, contrast, brightness/saturation, curves (forgive me if i have forgotten any)
    __________________________________________________ ______________

Now, what i made this thread to do, is to HELP the photography competition creators make INFORMED decision as to what to do about the current controvercy over Digital Edited entrants into NON EDIT competitions.

If this thread shows that there is a want/need for a full blown digital editing competition, so be it, i will be happy to create all threads involved, however, if this thread can not be completed in a responsible, grown up, and respectable fashion, i will ask a member of the mod team to delete/lock this thread.

What i am asking you - the readers interested in the future of the photography competitons on UltimateCarPage.com, is a full blown DigitalEdit Competition required? please post your oppinions and possible ideas for SOLUTION in this thread.
    thank you for your co-operation.
    Last edited by whiteballz; 02-07-2006 at 03:25 AM.
    Weekly Quote -

Dick

my opinion is that what we have now is sufficient.

having two nonediting comps allows people who are just interested in taking photos and showing them, to do just that.

the photo-edit comp gives people the cahnce to show off waht they can do to enhance a picture using basic tools and effect to improve a picture

then there are the chop comps for those ho want to fully use photshop to its fullest and edit everything on the picture to create a new image.

these three levels of editing should be enough to satisfy any level of enthusiast
    How can men use sex to get what they want?
    Sex is what they want. - Frasier

Quote Originally Posted by derekthetree
    then there are the chop comps for those ho want to fully use photshop to its fullest and edit everything on the picture to create a new image.

these three levels of editing should be enough to satisfy any level of enthusiast
    very valid, however the chop comps arent used for photography or even user selected images, it is a pre defined image (of a car) and wont be deviated from.

that is why my oppinion is that there is a need for four competitions.

#1 automotive = no edit
    #2 general = no edit
    #3 D-edit - basic edit
    #4 full edit - full out chop on personally taken image.
    Weekly Quote -

Dick

Quote Originally Posted by whiteballz
    very valid, however the chop comps arent used for photography or even user selected images, it is a pre defined image (of a car) and wont be deviated from.

#1 automotive = no edit
    #2 general = no edit
    #3 D-edit - basic edit
    that would be a good solution. i didn't know about the inner machinations of the chop comps
    How can men use sex to get what they want?
    Sex is what they want. - Frasier

personally i think that the current pure rules are the best to keep. Take a photo, upload it, resize it, enter it. simple as.

Quote Originally Posted by Cotterik
    personally i think that the current pure rules are the best to keep. Take a photo, upload it, resize it, enter it. simple as.
    Amen...

For me, a good photo doesn't need to be chopped.

i think a fourth photography competition would suit the needs of a more specilized audience. i for one would love to be able to completely edit one of my photos to enter into a comp.. thats why i think that 4 comps would keep more people happy and give more options for those who want them.
    Weekly Quote -

Dick

Quote Originally Posted by whiteballz

#1 automotive = no edit
    #2 general = no edit
    #3 D-edit - basic edit
    i like that idea, but i reckon just have a full edit comp instead of both a limited and a full-on edit comp.

can i also maybe suggest a change, an upping of the res. of submitted photos to 1024x768?

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndclasscitizen
    i like that idea, but i reckon just have a full edit comp instead of both a limited and a full-on edit comp.

can i also maybe suggest a change, an upping of the res. of submitted photos to 1024x768?
    The only problem people would have with the size change is that all of the entry photos would have to be attached rather than just copy and pasted into img tags and posted inline.

inline images are 800x600 limited.

IF a full digi edit comp is given the go ahead i will run the comp, and as such a requisit for entry will be an original photo, comp entrant (800x600) and a full res/high res of 1024x768. (users can for go the high res, however it will help you get more votes for higher detailed scrutinering.

Inline images will be used for voting, and the high res for a detailed look for those that wish to view a full size version.
    Weekly Quote -

Dick

Thread Information