Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Ferrai to stay in F1!

Quote Originally Posted by fpv_gtho
    Why cant Schuey be like Rossi and switch teams when he knows he's got the best combo
    Schuey already did that in 1996 when he went to Ferrari and helped pull it from a mid-field team to the dominate team. Most of his successful colleagues from Benneton with him - including Ross Brawn. Which is basically the same as several ex- Honda engineers following Rossi to Yamaha.
    He has no need to do this again. It's a challenge he and his colleagues have already suceeded at.

I wonder how many people on this forum actually remember that Schuey hasn't always had the best car in the field. How many remember how well he did with the previously under-performing Benneton? Or how well he did with the Ferrari during the first few seasons he drove with them?
    Those who think Schuey is the dominate driver only because he has the best car have absolutely no knowledge of recent Formula One history, or they have very short memories and forget the magic he performed in crap cars early in his career.
    Those who say that Formula One would be better without Ferari have no idea how closely inter-linked Formula One and Ferrari are. Simply put, the wouldn't survive without each other.
    UCP's biggest Ford Sierra RS500 and BMW M3 E30 fan. My two favourite cars of all time.

Quote Originally Posted by motorsportnerd
    He has no need to do this again. It's a challenge he and his colleagues have already suceeded at.
    It wasn't that much of a challenge.

Now if he were to go to Minardi...
    Thanks for all the fish

Auckland, New Zealand & Balikpapan, Indonesia
    Those who think Schuey is the dominate driver only because he has the best car have absolutely no knowledge of recent Formula One history
    He's a really good driver, possibly the best F1 ever had... but without the best car he would struggle to get to where he is now. How often do u see a ferrari f1 car failed to finish a race because of technical problem? i'll leave that for u to answer...

Ferrari is also very very rich and if u read the article in F1 Racing magazine last year you'd know how determined ferrari is... they have more money, means more research can be done to their cars and the cars technology. As convetry said... Lets put him in a minardi and see how he perform...
    "Rejection is better than regret. It's better to try and know you did your part, than to spend the rest of your days wishing you had tried"

I agree that Ferrari have the best car and team - now.
    I don't know if you watched F1 in the early to late 1990s. If you did you would have seen Schumacher struggle with cars which were not the best in the field. The 1994 Benneton used a Ford V8 when everyone else had V10s and was down on power compared to the rest of the field. It had a good chassis, sure. But it was hardly the best car in the field.
    Schumacher still beat Damon Hill to the Championship. Sure if Senna had lived, it may have been a different story. But we'll never know for sure. One thing we do know is that Senna was rattled by Schumacher's speed early in 1994.
    The 1995 Benneton-Renault was better the the 94 Benneton-Ford, but it still wasn't as good as the Williams-Renault that year. Schumacher still won plenty of races with it and the championship.
    The 1996 Ferrari was probably the worst car Schumacher's had in his career. Schumacher drove it much further up the field than it had any right being - even won 3 races with it.
    From 1997 to 1999 the Ferrari was the second best car on the track each year (in 97 Williams was best, 98 & 99 McLaren). As a driver Schumacher made enough of a difference to keep the Williams and McLaren drivers more than honest.
    From 2000 onwards, the Ferrari has been the best.
    Schumacher has been in F1 for 13 years now. He has had the best car in the field for 5 of those 13 years.
    So he hasn't always had the best car. In fact, in the mid-90s I remember having conversations with other F1 followers and we feared what would happen if Schumacher ever got the best car. Total domination seemed likely, and that's exactly what we have had from Schumacher and Ferrari since 2000.
    Of course everyone forgets that prior to 2000, Schumacher never had the best car in the field.
    I agree that in one sense Schumacher's domination is boring. On the other hand, we're watching a master at work and it may be a while before we get that chance again.

As for suggestions that turning Minardi around would be more of a challenge - you're right. Though Schumacher wouldn't be qualifying last in a Minardi. I think he'd be up around 12th-13th on the grid, and probably gathering points. Which is something probably only Raikkonen or Montoya could get close to if they too drove the Minardi.
    However, when Rossi went from Honda to Yamaha, he didn't exactly go to the MotoGP equivalent of Minardi.
    So I feel that Schumacher going from Benneton to Ferrari in 1996 was relatively comparable in terms of the challenge. Of course, unlike Rossi, Schumacher didn't win the championship in his first year with Ferrari.
    I don't follow MotoGP that closely, but from what I have seen, Rossi is something very, very special. Hopefully he will go to F1 and provide some spark.

I may come across as a bit of a Schumacher fanboy. So be it. I have a lot of time and admiration for his abilities.
    However, he is not my favourite driver in the field - I support Webber and Montoya ahead of Schumacher. Schumacher is only my 3rd favourite of the current drivers. And Alain Prost is my favourite driver of all time. It's just that I recognise and appreciate Schumacher for the talent that he is.
    Last edited by motorsportnerd; 01-22-2005 at 03:27 AM.
    UCP's biggest Ford Sierra RS500 and BMW M3 E30 fan. My two favourite cars of all time.

Auckland, New Zealand & Balikpapan, Indonesia
    blah blah blah....
    i was too young to know bout cars in the 90's. But i still dont like his domination in f1 now... i just think that he should go... that way f1 would be much more fun. But we cant just tell him to go so let's just go along with it.
    "Rejection is better than regret. It's better to try and know you did your part, than to spend the rest of your days wishing you had tried"

Like my nice, long essay above? If you like I could bore you with an in-depth analysis of the bitter rivalry between Aryton Senna and Alain Prost in the late 1980s . Just to show upi that I'm an old bugger compared to you.

Unfortunately im too young and tuned into F1 too late to fully appreciate Schumacher
    I am the Stig

Quote Originally Posted by fpv_gtho
    Unfortunately im too young and tuned into F1 too late to fully appreciate Schumacher
    Same! I'm only 4 months older than you and didn't really start following F1, it followed me!!! (ie. I started watching at the '96 AGP) However, I believe that Schumacher has the right to keep going and dominating because I doubt that I'll ever see anyone so talented in my lifetime. Note: I'm not even half close to being a Schumacher fan!

Well about the new drivers that ferrari could gamble with....if they done that itll help their so called money problems their wingeing about! they wouldent have to pay schueys 200 mill a year sallery and i think one of the younger tallents would no doubt be cheaper then barichello

Personally i wanted to see Raikonnen win hes one of the few drivers who had no money in the bank when he started and got to where he is purely on his own tallent. and of course it would be good to see webber win but im not holding my breath this year

Thread Information