Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The new Porsche LMP2 car.

Quote Originally Posted by ZeTurbo
    is there any chance of this beating the all mighty R8's?
    no because the R8's are due for retirement as they no longer comply to the 2006 rules
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by henk4
    no because the R8's are due for retirement as they no longer comply to the 2006 rules
    The site's main page must be the most unread section of Ultimatecarpage.com.
    If you should see a man walking down a crowded street talking aloud to himself, don't run in the opposite direction, but run towards him, because he's a poet. You have nothing to fear from the poet - but the truth.

(Ted Joans)

ahh seen it, engine intake is on the left side of the driver, cooling for radiators is in the middle of the car, but the front intake is really big.. is it only for brake cooling?
    "Religious belief is the “path of least resistance”, says Boyer, while disbelief requires effort."

Quote Originally Posted by ruim20
    ahh seen it, engine intake is on the left side of the driver, cooling for radiators is in the middle of the car, but the front intake is really big.. is it only for brake cooling?
    yes.
    pictured is half of the R8 front (quite a cool peice when you see it off the car).
    you can see the carbon(fixed duct) which runs to flexible tubing which runs to the upright (the upright is very open in the center which allows the air to flow from the duct-through the upright-through and out the disc.). i have built cars with similar setup, it is common on single seat sportscars.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyperl
    yes.
    pictured is half of the R8 front (quite a cool peice when you see it off the car).
    you can see the carbon(fixed duct) which runs to flexible tubing which runs to the upright (the upright is very open in the center which allows the air to flow from the duct-through the upright-through and out the disc.). i have built cars with similar setup, it is common on single seat sportscars.
    But isn't the porsche one really BIG i've seen 1/3 of that opening in other cars, and sometimes taped to create a smaller holle so the breakes would work right, so you think porsche where thinking in slow pace races with lots of braking? and for the fast races teams can just tape the air intake?
    "Religious belief is the “path of least resistance”, says Boyer, while disbelief requires effort."

Quote Originally Posted by ruim20
    But isn't the porsche one really BIG i've seen 1/3 of that opening in other cars, and sometimes taped to create a smaller holle so the breakes would work right, so you think porsche where thinking in slow pace races with lots of braking? and for the fast races teams can just tape the air intake?
    your right about the size, it is big. the only explanation i could think of is what you said and that theyre using carbon brakes which operate at higher temps than steel (which is used on most/all prototypes except the R8). its hard to say 100% till photos of the body work removed show up, but its probably safe to assume its almost all going to the brakes.

Quote Originally Posted by Wouter Melissen
    You should get the choppers to put on neon lights and some crazy gif animations.
    Rockefella says:
    pat's sister is hawt
    David Fiset says:
    so is mine
    David Fiset says:
    do want

Quote Originally Posted by Wouter Melissen
    Sadly, I think you may be right - it's really a shame. There is a TON of great info in the write-ups...

Also, Hi-Res pics are up, they can be found in the hide-out...
    ...Utah! Get me two...

Quote Originally Posted by nopassn
    Sadly, I think you may be right - it's really a shame. There is a TON of great info in the write-ups...

Also, Hi-Res pics are up, they can be found in the hide-out...
    but forum people will find nothing there that THEY have written
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

I know LMP2 cars are not as powerfull as LMP1s(like a 50 - 100hp difference), but arent they also much lighter( like 100 to 200 kg lighter)?

shouldnt that lighter weigh make up for the loss of power?
    and since LMP2 engines are less powerfull, they are not as stressed as the LMP1s, and are therefore more reliable?

then why does it seem like LMP2s are neglected and ignored at LeMans?
    Who killed the Electric Car?
    GO HABS GO!

looks fast, might have to steal it GISS style
    The Datto will rage again...

Quote Originally Posted by ZeTurbo
    I know LMP2 cars are not as powerfull as LMP1s(like a 50 - 100hp difference), but arent they also much lighter( like 100 to 200 kg lighter)?

shouldnt that lighter weigh make up for the loss of power?
    and since LMP2 engines are less powerfull, they are not as stressed as the LMP1s, and are therefore more reliable?

then why does it seem like LMP2s are neglected and ignored at LeMans?

LMP2 can be very fast .. but they are very fragile for a 24h race . for sprint races like ALMS and LMES they are perfect ..
    compare a V8 3.6 Litre Turbo with an inline 4 2.0 turbo ., which one is more stressed ?? .. or a high Revving V8 3.4 to a 3.6 Turbo .. if u look at the retirements at LeMans most LMP2 cars retired with problems at engine or transmission
    LMP2 750 Kg power around 550
    LMP1 900 Kg power around 6x0 ..

the Audi was 950 Kg at LeMans and power around 550 and still was way ahead of LMP2 cars .
    There is no terrible way of winning
    there is just winning

Quote Originally Posted by henk4

maybe not at LeMans .. butl i've hear that Goh want to start a prototype series in Japan . and R8 could race there still for a couple of years.
    There is no terrible way of winning
    there is just winning

do anybody have performances??

Quote Originally Posted by nikola scg
    do anybody have performances??
    not yet darling
    12 cylinders or walk!

Thread Information