Thread: Brett Favre Retires Again.Again

Brett Favre Retires Again.Again

MANKATO, Minn. -- Brett Favre's spectacular stint with the Minnesota Vikings might be over.

Favre has informed the Vikings he will not return to Minnesota for a second season, according to multiple reports.

Favre has sent text messages to teammates saying, "This is it," league sources told ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter.

Vikings tight end Visanthe Shiancoe said Favre texted his teammates and told them he plans to retire. Shiancoe added he did not receive any direct messages from Favre, but learned of the texts from several teammates.
    "He told a couple guys on our team he's going to retire," Shiancoe said after practice on Tuesday. "He hasn't told me yet. I'm going to check my phone right now, but it hasn't been said publicly yet so I don't know what to believe."
    However, the Vikings reportedly are ready to increase Favre's salary for this season in order to get him to hold off on retirement for another year.
    Sources told the Star Tribune that the Vikings have offered to increase Favre's salary to $16 million guaranteed -- $3 million more than he was scheduled to make this season, plus another $4 million in incentives that could potentially pay Favre $20 million total for the 2010 season.
    Neither Favre nor the Vikings has confirmed the news.
    Vikings coach Brad Childress said Tuesday that he has talked to Favre in the past 24 hours, but was unaware of the reports of Favre's apparent decision to retire.
    "I'm not a big hearsay person," Childress said. "I've got to hear it from the horse's mouth."
    Childress told the NFL Network that the Vikings would be prepared if Favre didn't return.
    "The same plays are being installed whether [Favre] was here or the guys that are here are here," Childress said.
    After the Vikings completed a morning practice, Childress would not confirm Favre's status with the team and called it a "fluid situation." He told reporters that he had not heard from Favre directly about the decision, but said he could have a message waiting for him from the quarterback.

With Favre, of course, nothing is ever necessarily final after 19 NFL seasons. He told the Vikings last year he wouldn't play, but changed his mind and joined them immediately after they broke training camp, with Childress even driving to the airport to pick him up. Camp this year ends on Aug. 12.
    Owner Zygi Wilf, vice president of player personnel Rick Spielman and vice president of football operations Rob Brzezinski spent nearly the entire two-hour morning practice in a huddle. All three were unavailable for comment afterward.
    "It wouldn't surprise me one way or the other whether he elects to play or whether he elects to retire," Childress said. "I think all of us can live with it either way. The big thing is that he's at peace with it."
    Favre and his agent, Bus Cook, did not return messages from The Associated Press.
    A family source told the Biloxi Sun Herald on Tuesday that Favre "has not made a commitment to play or a decision to return at this point."
    Every Minnesota player asked about Favre after practice reacted with hesitation after three years of answering questions about Favre's future.

"I plead the Fifth on everything," defensive end Jared Allen said. "I love Brett and he reserves the right to do what he wants to do. We obviously love him as a teammate. We'd like to have him back. But until it's official, I'll believe it when I see it."
    Star running back Adrian Peterson said he still hopes that Favre will be handing him the ball in the season opener on Sept. 9 in New Orleans. Peterson said he exchanged text messages with Favre on Tuesday but declined to give details.
    "I'm still up in the air like you guys trying to figure out what's going to happen," Peterson said. "I'm sure he'll make the best decision for him."
    Favre has waffled on retiring every summer since 2002. It led to an ugly parting with the Packers that got him traded from Green Bay to the Jets in 2008. After a so-so season in New York, he announced his retirement in early 2009 for the second time, then reconsidered and signed with the Vikings.

He had one of his best seasons last year, with career bests in completion percentage (68.4), quarterback rating (107.2) and fewest interceptions (7), while throwing for 33 TDs and 4,202 yards to lead the Vikings to an NFC North title. He hurt his left ankle in the NFC Championship Game loss to the New Orleans Saints and had arthroscopic surgery in May.
    "It's always back and forth with Brett," quarterback Tarvaris Jackson said. "It's his decision. He deserves the opportunity to decide when he's going to retire or not, whether he wants to retire or not. It's up to him. Right now, I'm just trying to focus on getting better."
    If Favre doesn't return, the Vikings' starting quarterback job likely will be decided in a training camp battle between Jackson and Sage Rosenfels.
    The 27-year-old Jackson, drafted in the second round of the 2006 draft, has a 77.9 quarterback rating and has 21 touchdowns and 18 interceptions, passing for 3,643 yards in 33 career games.

The 32-year-old Rosenfels, acquired by the Vikings last year in a trade with the Houston Texans, has a career rating of 81.2. In 32 games, he has 30 touchdowns and 29 interceptions and has passed for 4,156 yards.
    The Vikings also drafted quarterback Joe Webb in the sixth round of the 2010 NFL draft.
    Chicago Bears linebacker Lance Briggs said Tuesday that he wasn't convinced that Favre was actually retiring.
    "I won't believe it until I see Tarvaris Jackson starting against us," Briggs said.
    Packers linebacker Nick Barnett said he didn't know whether to believe the latest news.

"It's like believing in Santa Claus. You get gifts, but you ain't seen Santa Claus," he said. "We'll see what happens ... If he does retire, congratulations. It's a well-deserved retirement. But if he does come back, we'll be gunning for him the same way."
    Nearly everyone had assumed Favre would return and he did nothing to discourage that. He threw passes for a second straight summer with high school students in Hattiesburg, Miss., joked about playing until he's 50 and said playing another year wouldn't worsen his already-damaged ankle.
    Childress shrugged off all the questions and admitted he didn't know whether Favre would really come back. The Vikings didn't pursue a trade for Donovan McNabb and declined to select a quarterback of the future in the draft.

Still, Favre took a beating in the loss to the Saints and said afterward that he would not take long to make a decision on returning for the second year of his contract. As the months ticked by, Favre posted a statement on his website reminding everyone that his ankle problems didn't mean his career was over.

A three-time league MVP (1995-97), Favre won Super Bowl XXXI with the Packers. His 11 Pro Bowl appearances are the most ever by a quarterback.
    Indeed, Favre holds most major NFL records for a quarterback, including career touchdowns (497), yards passing (69,329); wins (181); and seasons with at least 3,000 yards passing (18).
    Of course, he also has thrown the most interceptions (317) and been sacked 503 times -- a long, long history of wear and tear.

Many of Favre's sacks came on scrambles, and so did the picks as he fearlessly tried to force the ball -- underhanded, left-handed, whatever worked -- where few, if any, could put it. He brought a sense of danger to the game and Vikings fans responded in droves. He was a classic gunslinger and has never minded the label.

"I would hope 20, 30 years from now, I'm remembered for something else besides records," Favre told the AP in 2007, when the annual summer waffling was still sort of new. "Whether I have them or don't have them. If that's the only way I'm remembered, apparently I didn't do something right or leave a good enough impression on the fans. ...

"I know when I leave the game, I'm going to miss it. I know that. I'm not going to sit here and say, when I leave, it's over and I felt like I've done everything there is to do.
    "I feel like I've given every ounce of energy I can give every single time I stepped on the field."
    Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

He had a shoulder injury last year but went on to one of his best seasons ever and in the top 14 seasons ever for any quarterback. His current injury (ankle) doesnt seem as severe being a quarterback. As its turning out, I will believe it when the season starts and hes not on the field.
    "Horsepower sells motor cars, but torque wins motor races."
    -Carrol Shelby

i won't believe it until the start of the regular season.
    Honor. Courage. Commitment. Etcetera.

He said today if he's healthy, he'll play. I kinda hope he does b/c i'm not a fan of the Packers and i hope Jay Cutler and the Bears get sh*t on again this yr. I just want pre-season to start so i can watch Tim Tebow do work

That ankle injury is a pretty big deal for a couple of reasons. One is that they drop back then push off it to throw. Some of the retired quarterbacks were talking about it and they were saying it would effect them almost as much as the separated bicep he had repaired last year. The other is that no matter how good your line is eventually you're going to have to scramble and with an ankle that didn't heal right after surgery you're a sitting duck. Which isn't such a good thing for a 40 year old, even if you are the ironman.

Also, the way the media reacted to that report without anyone saying that they had actually gotten the text was... annoying. The only confirmation they got was that people had heard the rumor of the text, and they spent the whole day in a hysterical frenzy.

I do hope (and think) he'll come back, though. And maybe this year the whole team won't fall apart to end the season a game early.
    Big cities suck

"Not putting miles on your Ferrari is like not having sex with your girlfriend so she'll be more desirable to her next boyfriend." -Napolis

Brett Favre Retires Again.Again

Jets are playing the vikings Monday night this season. If favre is still playin he'll prob retire that night when David Harris snaps his leg in half on a blitz.
    Rockefella says:
    pat's sister is hawt
    David Fiset says:
    so is mine
    David Fiset says:
    do want

Quote Originally Posted by Rockefella View Post
    Jets are playing the vikings Monday night this season. If favre is still playin he'll prob retire that night when David Harris snaps his leg in half on a blitz.
    David Harris was very close to being a Bronco last yr. I didn't rly know who he was so i followed him a lil bit during the season and he put up some very big, quiet numbers.

Quote Originally Posted by Rockefella View Post
    Pffft. Good luck with that.

Holds the record at 285 consecutive starts (almost 18 years) and even after that low hit during the saints game that injured his ankle he still came back out to finish the game. Harris will probably break his shoulder on Favre's leg.
    Big cities suck

"Not putting miles on your Ferrari is like not having sex with your girlfriend so she'll be more desirable to her next boyfriend." -Napolis

Quote Originally Posted by Cobrafan427 View Post
    David Harris was very close to being a Bronco last yr. I didn't rly know who he was so i followed him a lil bit during the season and he put up some very big, quiet numbers.
    Like you said, he's a quiet guy who does his job damn well. Jets leading tackler last year, and imho, a top-3 ILB in the NFL (no one holds a candle to Patrick Willis on the 49'ers though.. that guy is insane)

Pic for justice

Rockefella says:
    pat's sister is hawt
    David Fiset says:
    so is mine
    David Fiset says:
    do want

I'm a Vikings fan and I expect him to come back, he'd be crazy not to. With the supporting cast of one the best run defenses in NFL history, a star runningback and improving receivers and pass defense, the Vikings are on their way to a Super Bowl and Favre only got one of those with the Pack...

Quote Originally Posted by Lotec_Sirius View Post
    I'm a Vikings fan and I expect him to come back, he'd be crazy not to. With the supporting cast of one the best run defenses in NFL history, a star runningback and improving receivers and pass defense, the Vikings are on their way to a Super Bowl and Favre only got one of those with the Pack...
    yeah but if he doesn't then good luck w/ Tarvaris Jackson, he's not that great. The Vikes rly weren't prepared at all, they shoulda taken McCoy when they had the chance in the draft or at least picked up McNabb or Campbell in free agency. They had to have known Favre was gonna do this again and this time he may leave for good if the ankle is worse than he's letting on. At least this time he's laying relatively low to try to avoid being as much of a distraction as he can

Late news. brett favre died and made a comeback.
    IT'S OFFICIAL. I'M A SUZUKI KIZASHI SPORT FAN-BOY.

what stops me from buying this over a XR6 SV6 ?. drive-train. place a little wrx evo magic under the bonnet and i'm sold!.

yeah but if he doesn't then good luck w/ Tarvaris Jackson, he's not that great. The Vikes rly weren't prepared at all, they shoulda taken McCoy when they had the chance in the draft or at least picked up McNabb or Campbell in free agency. They had to have known Favre was gonna do this again and this time he may leave for good if the ankle is worse than he's letting on. At least this time he's laying relatively low to try to avoid being as much of a distraction as he can
    Well, the Vikings still have Sage Rosenfels who was going to be our starter before we picked up Favre last offseason, and he is a solid QB who was pretty good with the Texans. But Brad Childress keeps him #3 on the depth chart, behind Jackson, and that's just one of the many reasons I don't like our coach.

I tend to agree with this. If Favre's ankle was doing that good (or looking like it will be good to go come season time) then he'd have been more forthcoming about his condition and his desire to return to the field. My guess is that he WANTS to come back, but his injury is looking like a possible dealbreaker. That's why he's keeping quiet about his decision. I think it's his body that's going to make that final decision.

Personally, I don't see him making it through a full season again. At his age that ankle condition will get worse rather than better as the weeks go on and he takes some licks. I saw him at the end of the 3rd quarter in the NFC Championship game..........he looked like he just wanted it all to end so he could go home. Obviously someone who was holding on well past his limits. Courageous? Yes. A sign of a long-from-dead career in the NFL? No.
    "Wise man say: Forgiveness is divine, but never pay full price for late pizza."

Quote Originally Posted by Lotec_Sirius View Post
    Well, the Vikings still have Sage Rosenfels who was going to be our starter before we picked up Favre last offseason, and he is a solid QB who was pretty good with the Texans. But Brad Childress keeps him #3 on the depth chart, behind Jackson, and that's just one of the many reasons I don't like our coach.
    Even if Rosenfels is the starter i think they'd have a tough time making the Wild Card. w/ Favre gone, i think that'll leave the Saints as the only elite team in the NFC and make the rest just decently good. i'd expect the Pack to win the division and then a toss up for wild card between Vikes, Cowboys, Giants, 49ers, Falcons and maybe Eagles

Thread Information