Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Apple Tablet

So it's an iPhone that can't make calls, take videos or photos, or indeed play with that sort of content at all.

I'm really failing to see the point.
    <cough> www.charginmahlazer.tumblr.com </cough>

Quote Originally Posted by IBrake4Rainbows View Post
    So it's an iPhone that can't make calls, take videos or photos, or indeed play with that sort of content at all.

I'm really failing to see the point.
    Isn't that what the iPhone is for? It would be a little silly for Apple to launch a product that would render its most popular device obsolete.
    If you should see a man walking down a crowded street talking aloud to himself, don't run in the opposite direction, but run towards him, because he's a poet. You have nothing to fear from the poet - but the truth.

(Ted Joans)

The idea is that this does things better than an iPhone, but is less capable than a Laptop/Desktop.

If I want portability, I want something that fits in my pocket, if I want ability I'll take a laptop.

Unless this thing comes out with some sort of awesome tablet drawing experience, I'm seriously not seeing it's purpose.

As mentioned earlier, there's a niche for this. I'm not overly sure what it is, but the people who fill that niche will rave about it and tell us that it's wonderful and they can't live without it. And I'm sure for them it'll be great. There's a point to it.. but I'm not super sure what that might be yet.
    Life's too short to drive bad cars.

I understand the articles raison d'etre - that Apple are not seeking to take over existing markets, but carve a new one, but where is that market?

Universities/Schools? They'd surely prefer something either stylus driven or a desktop...I mean hell, some schools give out iPhones.

Business people? well the ability to take down notes is remarkably effective, but so is an iPhone, or a netbook, or a piece of paper (granted, somewhat less share-able...)

Designers? until the touch sensitive programs are created, it's going to be a case of "it's pretty, but where's the functionalism?"

The biggest problem I see for the iPad is essentially is will never, in it's current form, be any better than any device it tries to ape or replace. A cookbook works because you can get it wet/covered in flour and it still reads as such - you try doing that with an iPad.

A novel you can read in the bath, or at the beach, without fear of getting sand all through it or sea spray...same for an e-Reader? no.

In it's current form, at least, the iPad offers nothing new at all - not even a new combination of features - that really set it apart. and thats an absolute shame. It will likely morph and evolve into something fiersome in the future, but for the moment it's main threat comes from within, and it's smaller, more pocketable, and has greater penetration into the market already.

Apprently the ipad is run by a arm 8 chip which is why it can't multi task and video is limited to 720p. Where as asus and msi are readying their own tablets with tegra2 duelcore arm 9 chips in them which allows them to output 1080p through hdmi. There also going to be $500.
    Barnum's Law - You’ll never go broke underestimating the intelligence of the American public

The dyslexic version of Cyco

Civil disobedience is still disobedience

Quote Originally Posted by syko View Post
    Apprently the ipad is run by a arm 8 chip which is why it can't multi task and video is limited to 720p. Where as asus and msi are readying their own tablets with tegra2 duelcore arm 9 chips in them which allows them to output 1080p through hdmi. There also going to be $500.
    your post shows my age. I have no idea what you are talking about. I think I will keep enjoying roaming bookshops and buying paper copies...old fashioned probably, but highly enjoyable.
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by henk4 View Post
    your post shows my age. I have no idea what you are talking about. I think I will keep enjoying roaming bookshops and buying paper copies...old fashioned probably, but highly enjoyable.
    Don't worry Pieter, I also haven't got a clue of what's going on in this thread.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

I understand the articles raison d'etre - that Apple are not seeking to take over existing markets, but carve a new one, but where is that market?

Universities/Schools? They'd surely prefer something either stylus driven or a desktop...I mean hell, some schools give out iPhones.

Business people? well the ability to take down notes is remarkably effective, but so is an iPhone, or a netbook, or a piece of paper (granted, somewhat less share-able...)

Designers? until the touch sensitive programs are created, it's going to be a case of "it's pretty, but where's the functionalism?"

The biggest problem I see for the iPad is essentially is will never, in it's current form, be any better than any device it tries to ape or replace. A cookbook works because you can get it wet/covered in flour and it still reads as such - you try doing that with an iPad.

A novel you can read in the bath, or at the beach, without fear of getting sand all through it or sea spray...same for an e-Reader? no.

In it's current form, at least, the iPad offers nothing new at all - not even a new combination of features - that really set it apart. and thats an absolute shame. It will likely morph and evolve into something fiersome in the future, but for the moment it's main threat comes from within, and it's smaller, more pocketable, and has greater penetration into the market already.
    It's not to help people work, it's to help people waste time.. therefore it's not aimed at education or business or like that. It's definately not something you can take notes on or anything like that. I'm not sure I can see a major selling point for it yet either, but I'm confident it's there somewhere.

PS: not a macophile, just playing devil's advocate.

I think I will keep enjoying roaming bookshops and buying paper copies...old fashioned probably, but highly enjoyable.
    Henk4! this is getting out of hand. Thats twice this week we both agree on something.

As to what someone said about the ipad dominating the e-reader market...I can agree with that. If its only a couple hundred dollars cheaper than a kindle or sony deal i think it will do pretty well since it does have all the features of an ipod plus some extras and the implied apple sexiness, reliability, apps, and fanboys.
    A woman goes to the doctor to figure out why she is having breathing problems...The doctor tells her she is overweight. She says she wants a second opinion...the doctor says, "your ugly".

jumping back in... my wife got a kindle for xmas, and after the initial charging hasn't charged it since. she reads it most days, and is well into her second book on it. it is easy to read since it has the same reflectivity and softness of reading on real paper. it has the ability to browse the internet (in black and white) but it is rather terrible at it. it was also cheaper than any iPad. i dont see the iPad doing ebook reader better than kindle, but certainly does nearly everything else better.

i see the purpose of this, as was previously mentioned, is to sit on the arm of the couch and be used for casual web browsing for non-computer savvy people. the way they democratized the mp3 player, they are with the portable web browser. i still don't want one, but i see the point.
    Honor. Courage. Commitment. Etcetera.

The idea is that this does things better than an iPhone, but is less capable than a Laptop/Desktop.

If I want portability, I want something that fits in my pocket, if I want ability I'll take a laptop.

Unless this thing comes out with some sort of awesome tablet drawing experience, I'm seriously not seeing it's purpose.
    The new app, "Brushes" looks good.

$70 for the keyboard dock? Dammit, I knew it would turn into a true Apple product sooner or later.
    He came dancing across the water
    With his galleons and guns
    Looking for the new world
    In that palace in the sun
    On the shore lay Montezuma
    With his cocoa leaves and pearls

Quote Originally Posted by syko View Post
    Intriguing...where did you read this? I scan Gizmodo every day and haven't seen anything of this. Probably just got lost in their immense coverage of the iPad, though.

Asus tablet on Windows 7? I'd rather have that for the same price.

EDIT: Searched for it on Giz...either a 4 or 7" display that just seems so small. If it were 10"+ that would be far more useful, in my opinion. The use of Android OS is intriguing though.

See I also really enjoy that, a lot of times I will go into Barnes & Noble (huge American bookstore chain, I couldn't find one at all in Germany, so I think it might be exclusive to N.A.) for one book or magazine, and end up spending an hour just browsing.
    Last edited by my porsche; 01-28-2010 at 10:24 AM.
    He came dancing across the water
    With his galleons and guns
    Looking for the new world
    In that palace in the sun
    On the shore lay Montezuma
    With his cocoa leaves and pearls

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe.
    Whatever it is, its retarted.
    Buddy: 1998-2009
    Mah boi, UCP is what all true warriors strive for!
    PINGAS!!!!

Thread Information