Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: cambelt DIY

cambelt DIY

In my pursuit to get some practical experience , and to save some money I am thiking about changing my cambelt with no more then my "rather small I supose" theoretical knowledge, basic tools and a Haynes manual. Ive read some tips here and there. I am very aware that I can ruin my engine if I get it wrong.

A. is this wise?
    B. did anyone here find themself in the same situation?

the car is a vw mk3 golf gti 16v with the ABF block
    would the 16valveness make it any harder?

I am also thinking of changing the distributor.
    same questions

previous experience: changing :air filter, oil, oil filter , spark plugs... kids stuff
    24/02/2008: my first drive in a corrado 16, life is finally going somewhere...
    1/07/2008: first drive in a corrado vr6, life peaks here

WWW.AUTOFANS.BE

Don't do it.

If that's the same thing as a timing belt (?) then it's fraught with danger, as you must make sure that the cogs/pulleys don't move at all while you're doing it. One notch out and you're a bit stuffed. Two notches out... you don't wanna go there.

Distributor: As far as I know.. same answer.

aint it possible to check if you did the job right?
    => turning the crankshaft for 1 full rotation
    isn't it in the end : marking and doing everything very precise whitout moving the crank or the cams?
    because others claim that once they have done it its not that hard...
    Anyone who uses a haynes manual on their car?

WWW.AUTOFANS.BE

I have a haynes, yes.

I would suggest finding out if that is an interference engine: if it is, things can go very wrong, and I would be more cautious; if it is not an interference design, the dangers are lower.

Quote Originally Posted by Lagonda View Post
    I have a haynes, yes.
    is it usefull?

WWW.AUTOFANS.BE

Quote Originally Posted by gregvl52 View Post
    I would suggest finding out if that is an interference engine: if it is, things can go very wrong, and I would be more cautious; if it is not an interference design, the dangers are lower.
    I'm pretty sure my engine is an interference one, it has a compression ratio of 10.5:1
    but arent most "modern" engines interference designed?

WWW.AUTOFANS.BE

Quote Originally Posted by ripper46 View Post
    is it usefull?
    Haynes manual and a little bit of mechanical aptitude and as long as every step is followed to the letter it'll be fine.
    Only concern will be if the engine needs a special tool or access is difficult.
    If a workaround is possible Haynes will cover it

Sadly on many modern cars the special tool can't be avoided.
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

is it usefull?
    It's a worthwhile investment if you plan on doing certain things yourself, yes. It shows you how hard certain things by employing a certain rating system. (5 wrenches is very hard, 1 wrench is very easy). The explenations for certain tasks aren't always that great and the pictures aren't great either from time to time. But I'd buy it if you plan on doing some stuff yourself.

Also buy some serious tools, no Auto5 crap.

If your going to do it highlight with a white marker the timming marks on the pulley and the the crank pulley as this will give you a reference point if they move when you install the new belt. Also if the belt tensioner is a hydraulic type when compressing it, compress it slow or you will break it.
    HTH
    Attached Images Attached Images
    SA IPRA cars 15, 25, 51 & 77
    Sharperto Racing IP Corollas
    http://www.sharperto.com.au/

thanks for the tips

WWW.AUTOFANS.BE

If you plan on doing more work on the car yourself- buy the factory service manual. They're not cheap, usually around $50 to a few hundred, but they are large, detailed, and tell you everything you need to know about doing anything on your car. Including interior, electronics, engine, chassis, suspension, wheels, body... Mine was $90 and has been invaluable and saved me $1300 on my last repair alone. Everything is given in simple step form and as long as you take your time and follow the directions you really can't mess up.

And things I've learned from my (relatively small) experience...
    1. LABEL EVERYTHING as you take it out. Every bolt, every clip, esp. any electrical conectors, coolant hoses, vacuum hoses, 15 minutes spent labeling can save you endless trouble
    2. Take pics before you start so you can see how everything should look. It only takes a minute and the more the better. You can take pics in the middle of the process if needed too.
    3. a little wire brushing and a dab of never seize on your bolts gos a long way if you ever need to take something apart again
    4. buy the right tool. You don't need an 800 dollar toolset, but as tools come up that you need, don't hesistate to get them. ex. it took me two days to remove my runners using a T40 power screwdriver bit, 1/4" socket, extender, and ratchet, bc that's all I had. When I got the proper T40 socket and wobble extender, (Plus all bolt cleaned and greased) it took less than an hour to put it back together.

haynes manual arrived , and it doesn't live up to the expectations
    it realy vague when it comes to the important stuff , such as : the cambelt
    whereas it explains in 1000000 steps how to change a light...

WWW.AUTOFANS.BE

haynes manual arrived , and it doesn't live up to the expectations
    it realy vague when it comes to the important stuff , such as : the cambelt
    whereas it explains in 1000000 steps how to change a light...
    Same experience I had with both Chilton's and Haynes. Like a said, get the shop service manual. Trust me, it's money well spent.

Thread Information