Thread: 2012 NAIAS Round-up with news from Scion, Honda, Toyota and Lincoln ...

2012 NAIAS Round-up with news from Scion, Honda, Toyota and Lincoln ...

Rounding up our coverage of this year's North American International Auto Show, we take a closer look at four more cars revealed at Detroit's Cobo Hall this week. The most powerful of these is the Scion FR-S Race Car. Not surprisingly, this is a competition version of the recently launched rear-wheel drive coupe developed by Subaru and Toyota that will be sold as a Scion in the United States. Equipped with an aggressive body kit, the track-ready FR-S features a 600 bhp version of the flat four engine. Sister company Toyota showed the NS4 Concept. This plug-in hybrid machine serves as a preview for Toyota's potential second all-hybrid model that will be offered alongside the Prius. Certainly a preview for an upcoming production model is Honda's Accord Coupe Concept, which will become available later in the year as 2013 model. Among the engines available is an all-new 2.4 litre straight four that is equipped variable valves and direct fuel injection. Lincoln's MKZ Concept provides a clear vision of upcoming models of Ford's luxury arm. Inspired by the great Zephyr of 1938, the luxury four-door sedan features an impressive, full-length glass roof. The high-tech interior features a 10.1 inch TFT screen in place of the conventional dials.
    Today Infiniti also released the first preview of the Sports Car Concept due to be released in Geneva in less than two months. The high performance machine will be equipped with a mid-mounted electric motor.

Enjoy the links:

2012 Honda Accord Coupe Concept - Images, Specifications and Information

2012 Infiniti Sports Car Concept - Images, Specifications and Information

2012 Lincoln MKZ Concept - Images, Specifications and Information

2012 Scion FR-S Race Car - Images, Specifications and Information

2012 Toyota NS4 Concept - Images, Specifications and Information
    If you should see a man walking down a crowded street talking aloud to himself, don't run in the opposite direction, but run towards him, because he's a poet. You have nothing to fear from the poet - but the truth.

(Ted Joans)

Californian by nature, living in Teggsas.
    I just noticed the Lincoln...as far as I'm concerned, they can put that concept into production pretty much as-is I had the opportunity to drive a current MK/Z and wasn't that impressed...time to get something better on the lots.

The Accord = not bad. Looks pretty much like the current model, but as I'm a fan of DI, I say put that bad boy on the lots right now!
    An it harm none, do as ye will

Approximately 79% of statistics are made up.

Quote Originally Posted by jcp123 View Post
    I just noticed the Lincoln...as far as I'm concerned, they can put that concept into production pretty much as-is I had the opportunity to drive a current MK/Z and wasn't that impressed...time to get something better on the lots.

The Accord = not bad. Looks pretty much like the current model, but as I'm a fan of DI, I say put that bad boy on the lots right now!
    What's wrong with DI?

The Lincoln, I'm not a fan of, but I never was much a fan of Ford products anyway.

Lincoln's problem is that they make all their products share platforms with the Ford products and there's little to differentiate the two.

DI is in theory a have your cake and eat it too technology...but issues are still being found as it is still relatively new. VAG being one of the first to mass implement it on most of their cars, and its owners are the first to find some issue with it, with carbon build up being the main issue. IMO that is being blown out of proportion more than it really is, but it is no doubt an issue...And then there is emission, with Gasoline DI being found to have issue that was associated with Diesel probably more than a decade ago, since going DI changes how the combustion process happens especially in partial load condition, more particulate emission becomes an issue. Which could change how emission regulation will be written and expensive exhaust treatment like particulate filter to be use on gasoline car also(something that used to be a diesel thing)....

But as said the technology is new. Toyota's implementation that mixes port injection at part load with direct injection at full load is pretty novel, and I think VAG is going down the same route...
    University of Toronto Formula SAE Alumni 2003-2007
    Formula Student Championship 2003, 2005, 2006
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

Quote Originally Posted by RacingManiac View Post
    DI is in theory a have your cake and eat it too technology...but issues are still being found as it is still relatively new. VAG being one of the first to mass implement it on most of their cars, and its owners are the first to find some issue with it, with carbon build up being the main issue. IMO that is being blown out of proportion more than it really is, but it is no doubt an issue...And then there is emission, with Gasoline DI being found to have issue that was associated with Diesel probably more than a decade ago, since going DI changes how the combustion process happens especially in partial load condition, more particulate emission becomes an issue. Which could change how emission regulation will be written and expensive exhaust treatment like particulate filter to be use on gasoline car also(something that used to be a diesel thing)....

But as said the technology is new. Toyota's implementation that mixes port injection at part load with direct injection at full load is pretty novel, and I think VAG is going down the same route...
    What's the difference between the current DI and the DI in the 300SL?

I mean yeah, the newest ones are computer controlled, but the concept should be the same right?

Pressure of the current system is probably higher, and the fuel themselves are different too...in terms of system effectiveness the modern one would have much more research to rely on with spray pattern and whatnot...

The modern day problem may not happen in the old car mainly because of the emission issue. The current carbon build up problem is a side effect of the modern day emission control technique stemming from EGR and PCV system....it is also to do with mostly partial load condition, something that is not as likely to be revealed with "stress testing".
    University of Toronto Formula SAE Alumni 2003-2007
    Formula Student Championship 2003, 2005, 2006
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

Thread Information