Page 51 of 101 FirstFirst ... 41495051525361 ... LastLast

Thread: The Technical Questions Thread

hey the Morris Ital ..... a guarantted winner In the quickest route to the scrappies
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Couple of questions:

Whats the point of having a vacuum gauge?

Is it possible to put a gauge cluster from one car into another?
    I am the Stig

I'm guessing the vacuum gauge is there so you know that the vacuum advance on your alternator is working.

In theory it'd be possible to transfer gauge clusters, but nowadays you'd have enormous headaches with ECUs and whatnot.

Quote Originally Posted by pimento View Post
    I'm guessing the vacuum gauge is there so you know that the vacuum advance on your alternator is working.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "We went to Wnedy's. I had chicken nuggest." ~ Quiggs

hey leave the aussie alone .... they gubbed England at rugby leagu today

So he typed alternator ... I knew he was thinking distributor !! Coz they gubbed England 46-16

Vacuum gauges aren't so useful about the number they are reading.
    MUCH more informatino gleaned from the reaction to throttle inputs and also how that changes over time.

Had squirrelled this away from a long time back....

Tips on Reading Gauges: Vacuum Gauges seethe table

BTW, did I say "Well done Australia for winning 46-16 against England today" ???
    Last edited by Matra et Alpine; 11-15-2009 at 05:44 PM.
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Quote Originally Posted by fpv_gtho View Post
    Couple of questions:

Whats the point of having a vacuum gauge?

Is it possible to put a gauge cluster from one car into another?
    A vacuum/boost gauge can show you vaguely how much throttle you're using. The idea is the lower (technically more vacuum since it's a negative number) the vacuum the less fuel you're using. It can also show the general health of the engine, ie decreasing vacuum (less negative) could indicate worn out rings. Pic related, you'll see them on many moving vans.

As for your second question, most sensors stock and aftermarket use a similar method of determining the value indicated. The plugs used to connect the gauge cluster to the dash may not be compatible however. Your best bets are going to be the same or similar:
    Brand
    Model
    Model year
    Model variant

Anything is possible as long as the check clears.

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine View Post
    hey leave the aussie alone .... they gubbed England at rugby leagu today

So he typed alternator ... I knew he was thinking distributor !! Coz they gubbed England 46-16
    I.. I.. I'll get my coat.

Also, meh to league.

meh to league
    SO what sports are there left for you NOT to be "meh" about

All of Scotland was blowing on that last kick
    Seldom seen SO much territory and possession turn up so little.

Sadly this means we will go in to the next England game FAR to cocky and get GUBBED
    Scotland where we can be relied on to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory

Have there been any I6 FF cars?

Yes, Volvo has a I6 they use for their FWD and AWD models that is designed for east-west installations.
    I am the Stig

Suzuki also did a transverse I6 in a sedan. Deawoo did a version of the same car or motor (not sure which)
    http://www.familycar.com/RoadTests/S...ges/Engine.jpg

Why does ABS act in a fast corner ? Today we tested the new Astra and went off. According to the driver he could not brake. Situation: downhill at about 80 km/h. Then a very fast left corner. Radius 30m. ESP off and 2 passengers. Link to the turn on google maps

The car understeered heavily but maintaned somewhat ability to croner because the ESP off button got overruled. It was not enough and still understeered. Then the driver tried to brake to correct a bit and the pedal was very hard to push down. End result: into and over the gravel the trap in a sideways uncontrolled drift. Right side of the car is completely damaged by gravel, about 5-6000 euro min. damage.
    Now after this the guy tried to explain to me what happened. I just did not understand him well enough, it seems now. He told me the ABS blocked the pedal, because the wheels were spinning so extremely. Apparently he had crashed a Alfa 156 Cup a decade before in the same manner. It seemed logical at the moment but wht i don't understand is why the ABS would react in such a manner. Do the parameters needed not include an input from the brake pedal ? How can i become inpossible to brake ? Is this specific to certain vehicles ?

PS: The test driver was a former racing driver with almost 50 years experience.

For that radius and velocity (22ish m/s), the car would be pulling 1.67g. Tall order in an Astra, no?
    Sounds less like electronic failure than driver error, despite his experience.
    "Kimi, can you improve on your [race] finish?"
    "No. My Finnish is fine; I am from Finland. Do you have any water?"

Quote Originally Posted by f6fhellcat13 View Post
    For that radius and velocity (22ish m/s), the car would be pulling 1.67g. Tall order in an Astra, no?
    Sounds less like electronic failure than driver error, despite his experience.
    It is a tall order. But that is why we do this. We want to know too what it does when it goes over the limit. Weird behaviour in this case. In total we did this 10 times and 9 times the electronics saved us. Why did it not this time under exactly the same conditions ?
    Last edited by drakkie; 12-08-2009 at 12:26 PM.

So to understand correctly: the driver was trail-braking late into the corner and was overruled by ESP coming on in response to the car's extreme position? 30m radius at 80kph is not going to work unless the car is in a controlled drift, if at all.

Had it been accomplished in any earlier attempt?
    Never own more cars than you can keep charged batteries in...

Thread Information