Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: FIA ban on vertical wings

Quote Originally Posted by Jack_Bauer
    This week the FIA have also banned a high-tech damping system developed by Renault and subsequently adopted by other teams for contravening Article 3.15 of the Technical Regulations. Not good news for the likes of Renault and McLaren as Bridgestone's performance in the last month or so has really given the likes of Ferrari and Toyota a huge edge over the competition.
    Ferrari was also using this system, so you can't accuse FIA for having double standards on this one (but you can in many other cases!!!)

This damping system was first used by the Citroen 2CV, believe it or not!!!!!

More info at
    http://www.grandprix.com/ns/ns17166.html

Quote Originally Posted by lightweight
    Ferrari was also using this system, so you can't accuse FIA for having double standards on this one (but you can in many other cases!!!)

This damping system was first used by the Citroen 2CV, believe it or not!!!!!

More info at
    http://www.grandprix.com/ns/ns17166.html
    so I can bin my efforts to start a 2CV-based car team for next year.....
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

They couldve come up with a better excuse than they block vision. From the drivers perspective they would seem little more than pencil thin, and in race conditions i'd be surprised if they were that visible at all to the drivers
    I am the Stig

Quote Originally Posted by Jack_Bauer
    This week the FIA have also banned a high-tech damping system developed by Renault and subsequently adopted by other teams for contravening Article 3.15 of the Technical Regulations. Not entirely sure what this system was doing to break the rule as it's something under the skin which is pretty much impossible to get a good look at. Pitpass.com didn't say which other teams actually use the system but suggest that the Michelin runners would be more likely to be affected by the ban. Not good news for the likes of Renault and McLaren as Bridgestone's performance in the last month or so has really given the likes of Ferrari and Toyota a huge edge over the competition. This could further hamper the already struggling Michelin teams.

Full story here - http://www.pitpass.com/fes_php/pitpa...s_art_id=28765
    Its not that high tech per se......tuned mass damper attached to the spring to tune out wheel vibration caused by bumps....Citroen 2CV had it, and tall building uses it to counter the effect of wind....

Ferrari also uses it also according to ITV's report....

I like the term "stuggling Michelin teams".....they lost 2 race in a row and now they are struggling......
    University of Toronto Formula SAE Alumni 2003-2007
    Formula Student Championship 2003, 2005, 2006
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

Quote Originally Posted by fpv_gtho
    They couldve come up with a better excuse than they block vision. From the drivers perspective they would seem little more than pencil thin, and in race conditions i'd be surprised if they were that visible at all to the drivers
    I think it's more of a case of interfering with their vision more than 'blocking' it.

Although I note that the aerial (which transmits the onboard pictures for tv) which are right in front of the driver aren't considered to interfere with the driver.

Was going to mention that they would have been about a bee's dick wider than the aerials etc in front of the driver (does anyone else use those aerials as an apex finder in F12005?)
    Serial Pest
    05 Forever

Thread Information