Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Older drivers are better drivers

Older drivers are better drivers

Not.
    A university study in Adelaide found that contrary to popular (with younger drivers anyway) theories that old people are worse drivers, the opposite is true. How did they come to this sensational conclusion you ask? Well they found that old people had less accidents. Why? Because they found old people avoided driving in hazardous conditions like rain(!), dark(!!) or slippery roads etc. This would lead someone with less academic credentials like me to deduce that they avoid these conditions because they dont feel confident or feel intimidated. I can only deduce further that they would feel this way because the dont feel competent to handle them. Therefore I believe that technically and in practical terms they are, as we all knew , worse drivers. Sure young drivers can be more reckless and overconfident but unleash sample or 28 - 30 year olds against some 75 year olds around a track in similar cars and watch the result.

To illustrate this , this morning I watched a TV channel put it to the test. Hardly scientific, they took a 20 something year old woman (quite tasty actually), blonde as well(!), against a late 70 to 80 year old guy (not so tasty) and pitted them against each other with a driving instructor. The blonde got 6/10 and the old guy 4/10. Even taking the bonus point the blond would have got cause she was hot, the younger, female driver won. They both complained that they would have got higher scores in their own cars (blah blah) but distrubingly the old guy drove a Hi Ace type van. One can only ponder in terror the lack of rear view out of that but in fairness I have found older people generally dont bother with check behind them or turning their head around as they generally pull out so slowly most approaching drivers have ample time to take evasive action on their behalf. The blond couldnt parrallel park but thats genetic. (It was a Toyota Echo too!). She also just missed hitting a pedestrain who came out from behind a tree or something. I have a suspicion the old guy in the same situation would not have.

So my finding is (who cares you say) that older drivers may be wiser in avoiding putting themselves (and others) in harms way, a commendable quality, but younger drivers have quicker reactions and are generally more aware of their surroundings. The downside is they are more reckless and drive too fast. But when it comes down to driving as a skill younger drivers win out.
    "A string is approximately nine long."
    Egg Nogg 02-04-2005, 05:07 AM

I don't know about that. I'm 28 and still haven't had one accident on the road i have missed accident's but nothing my fault, So i don't know i do thin older driver with experience are better then a young driver without but in the 70's
    "Just a matter of time i suppose"

"The elevator is broke, So why don't you test it out"

"I'm not trapped in here with all of you, Your all trapped in here with me"

I think Crisis and I will differ on where we draw the line between old and not so old and young
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by henk4
    I think Crisis and I will differ on where we draw the line between old and not so old and young
    Im writing that and Im thinking (HenK4), hope I dont offend him. Mate we both know the worst thing you do is drive a diesel with your high beam on.

thank you, i will use this for a paper im writing in school! i need a point to say that the older you are doesnt make you a better driver. some kid is doing the same subject, but wants to raise it: to 21. drinking age here, nothing worse then brand new drivers who are A) rushing to class, B) have legal access to alcohol, and C) havent been driving more then a year, in a city-like environment (even when in a rural area!)
    "I'd hate to die twice. It's so boring" - Richard Feynman, last recorded words.

Quote Originally Posted by CdocZ
    thank you, i will use this for a paper im writing in school! i need a point to say that the older you are doesnt make you a better driver. some kid is doing the same subject, but wants to raise it: to 21. drinking age here, nothing worse then brand new drivers who are A) rushing to class, B) have legal access to alcohol, and C) havent been driving more then a year, in a city-like environment (even when in a rural area!)
    Its a contentious issue as to whether rasining the age of driving helps. I beleive expierience is a good thing and the earlier you get the better. The downside is that 16 can be still pretty immature, especially guys they say, so we tend to show off. Limited power cars and strict rules for younger drivers may be an answer.
    BTW take care with that paper. I never wrote one in my life and I am emminantly unqualified as a source of academia.

They say the first 3 years is the worst for new drivers on there own, But i say till your 25. But like the case of the racing mum and kids anyone can be dumb at any age.
    "Just a matter of time i suppose"

"The elevator is broke, So why don't you test it out"

"I'm not trapped in here with all of you, Your all trapped in here with me"

Quote Originally Posted by crisis
    Its a contentious issue as to whether rasining the age of driving helps. I beleive expierience is a good thing and the earlier you get the better. The downside is that 16 can be still pretty immature, especially guys they say, so we tend to show off. Limited power cars and strict rules for younger drivers may be an answer.
    yeah, cause even if you raise it to 18 (at least in america) youll be about to go to your first year of college or already there. since aprox. a quarter of the people there can buy drinks......also, not knowing your way around and being in a rush as a new driver.......? not good. yeah, upping the amount of experiance needed is my main argument, the second is too make the driving tests stricter (where i live, its ridiculously easy)

Senility wins over experience in the end

These kind of examples are fraught with huge variations. I bought a car from an 82 year old guy. He had been planning to build a Cobra as his next car His wife had been driving this one and talked me through it's handling, the way it coped with drift, standing water the lot. SHE clearly knew how to drive. NOT the same kind of octogenarian who uses their car to go to the bingo.

Stirling Moss can STILL push the cream of the up-coming teenagers to the back of the grid

Experience of the right things is what makes the difference.
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine
    Senility wins over experience in the end

These kind of examples are fraught with huge variations. I bought a car from an 82 year old guy. He had been planning to build a Cobra as his next car His wife had been driving this one and talked me through it's handling, the way it coped with drift, standing water the lot. SHE clearly knew how to drive. NOT the same kind of octogenarian who uses their car to go to the bingo.

Stirling Moss can STILL push the cream of the up-coming teenagers to the back of the grid

Experience of the right things is what makes the difference.
    You will always find anecdotes but in general terms older people (70+) are not up to the quick decision making and the general business of modern driving. One point on the TV show was made (I know one example) that when the instructor asked a question the old guy struggled doing two thing at once and was actually leaning toward the instructor and veering the car that way. Extrapolate this to having to do a u trun in front of impatient traffic or similar.
    Stiling Moss indeed.

i see it like hits. there are bad drivers and there are good drivers at any age level. however, the older people tend to (tend to, not always) have poorer reflexes, vision, and overall driving competence. there are of course exceptions and there are some great drivers who are pretty old. young drivers can be irresponsible and there are bad drivers in this age group as well. but then again, there are always good drivers. its hard to classify but id say midle aged people are the best, followed by young drivers, then oldies
    [url]www.spenserheaps.smugmug.com[/url]

Quote Originally Posted by SPHFerrari
    i see it like hits. there are bad drivers and there are good drivers at any age level. however, the older people tend to (tend to, not always) have poorer reflexes, vision, and overall driving competence. there are of course exceptions and there are some great drivers who are pretty old. young drivers can be irresponsible and there are bad drivers in this age group as well. but then again, there are always good drivers. its hard to classify but id say midle aged people are the best, followed by young drivers, then oldies
    Yes vision is the other important one. However my (younger) brother in law has poor vision and doesnt wear glasses driving. Naughty. Still, age is a factor in poorer vision.

they should ban people over 60 from driving.
    halo 2 - november 9

Quote Originally Posted by danno
    they should ban people over 60 from driving.
    Harsh call. Just make sure they are tested properly and regularly.

no, not 60. at least where i live. in my area 70-80 would be a good place. lol, poor florida, like 90% of the population would die of hunger

Thread Information