Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Racing as a Sport? Please justify this for me.

Quote Originally Posted by henk4 View Post
    like the police academy movies?
    I was going to say drinking liquor, but yeah, I'd guess that could work.
    I'm dropping out to create a company that starts with motorcycles, then cars, and forty years later signs a legendary Brazilian driver who has a public and expensive feud with his French teammate.

**** -what- off he's a complete muppet. I cant get enough of quails input - priceless
    would be gutting to lose such a quality member
    RUF CTR Yellowbird is what dreams are made of

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine View Post
    ... pretty much the same with footballers like Perry - the "Fridge" - who was nothing more than an immovable mass
    Actually he was quite athletic. There was a video that circulated when he was with The Bears where in part of his workout he jumped flat-footed from the floor to the top of a regular sized kitchen table top and back down. For a 350+ pound guy to do that is pretty incredible.

Quote Originally Posted by lith8872 View Post
    ah yes, sexism makes everything better.
    Ah yes...witch hunting at its best.

My comments weren't sexist, they were based on facts. Men have a physical advantage on women.

Quote Originally Posted by kingofthering View Post
    But he still had to work to get to that point.

Like that matters
    You're missing the point.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack_Bauer View Post
    Let's just say for arguments' sake that you ARE capable of withstanding the physical effort of all the heat, G-forces etc, would you be able to perform the incredible feats of mental agility involved in wheel to wheel racing at >200mph, and under the unimaginable pressures put on you to not screw things up, every single lap of a race? I mean no disrespect, but I sincerely doubt it. Only a tiny minority of the thousands of kids who get into racing every single year will ever make it to the pinnacle of the sport. It's not because they're not fit enough or strong enough, but because they don't have the mentality of a racer and of a champion.
    You don't doubt me, you doubt yourself. YOU can't do it. I can. I'm more physically fit than Schumacher ever was and AT BEST he MAY be able to MATCH ME in a mentally stressful situation.

Quote Originally Posted by MRR View Post
    Um for the same reason that rifle, shotgun, etc are Olympic sports.
    So you think "rifling" is a sport? What about competitive checkers? Chess?

Here is my point...
    All competitive activities (including racing) will have similarities with "sports". ALL. My problem with considering racing as a sport is that the actual athlete during the work of the "sport" is THE CAR. A car is not an athlete. Is it? So you argue that the drivers are the athletes? Why, because they have to press pedals and steer? Pfft...EVEN THEIR STEERING IS POWER ASSISTED.

Let me close a loop hole for some of you...I never said professional drivers are unable to be "athletic". My father runs marathons...but he isn't a professional athlete, so I'm not impressed with Schumacher playing in a pick-up soccer game. But when he's "at work", I find it difficult to consider him engaging in a "sport"...no matter how much he exercises off field. His conditioning is irrelevant to my open-minded opinion.

A racer losing 5 lbs in a race doesn't impress me either and it doesn't prove much. It's WATER WEIGHT. I'm sure the drivers drink liters upon liters of water pre-race with the expectations of sweating it all out. They are sweating because the car is hot...not because they are doing so much work...or maybe I'm wrong.

I'll try to find somewhere that offers a vehicle that I can drive that will give me some idea of what a professional racer feels.

No one has yet to defend professional drag racers.

Quote Originally Posted by LandQuail View Post
    It's 'Quail or "What." UCP's not big enough for the both of us.
    It's ME.

At least it should be if you commit to removing yourself. But the reality is you aren't going anywhere. False threats.

It's ME.

I have opinions and I think I'm the greatest thing on SPACE...but I will not pressure other people into making actions on a PERSONAL PROBLEM I can handle myself. It is selfish and childish of you to GET ANGRY because PEOPLE ARE TALKING TO ME. If YOU don't like me, how about YOU don't talk to me. IGNORE ME. You have NOTHING to do with me. In fact, I DON'T KNOW WHO YOU ARE. Why are you bothered by me? I'll make it easier for you to deal with me...I will never speak to you.

What a shallow ultimatum. This forum isn't big enough for ME ALONE...but you won't ever hear me asking for anyone else to be removed.
    Last edited by -What-; 02-12-2008 at 10:09 PM.

I'm just gonna take this from the top.

Quote Originally Posted by -What- View Post

My comments weren't sexist, they were based on facts. Men have a physical advantage on women.

I would really like to see you go toe to toe with a female boxer. It'd be funny to see you lose teeth.

You're missing the point.

you had one?

You don't doubt me, you doubt yourself. YOU can't do it. I can. I'm more physically fit than Schumacher ever was and AT BEST he MAY be able to MATCH ME in a mentally stressful situation.

Schumacher is a World champion numerous times over.

You are some punk who gets banned from forums for a lack of common decency. If you can't handle normality, how the HELL can you say you handle stress properly?

So you think "rifling" is a sport? What about competitive checkers? Chess?

The Mental toughness and concentration involved in those events is high. Are they sports? Not to me. but I'm sure they require dedication and hard work to get right.

Here is my point...
    All competitive activities (including racing) will have similarities with "sports". ALL. My problem with considering racing as a sport is that the actual athlete during the work of the "sport" is THE CAR. A car is not an athlete. Is it? So you argue that the drivers are the athletes? Why, because they have to press pedals and steer? Pfft...EVEN THEIR STEERING IS POWER ASSISTED.

So you are saying Equestrian events are not sports because the horse is doing the jumping?

Just because you are in control of something mechanical that is "doing the work" for you doesn't mean the driver isn't constantly making tiny inputs to make sure that particular vehicle does exactly what he/she wishes it to.

Let me close a loop hole for some of you...I never said professional drivers are unable to be "athletic". My father runs marathons...but he isn't a professional athlete, so I'm not impressed with Schumacher playing in a pick-up soccer game. But when he's "at work", I find it difficult to consider him engaging in a "sport"...no matter how much he exercises off field. His conditioning is irrelevant to my open-minded opinion.

Your open minded opinion?

You entered this argument with your mind made up, and spent the rest of the argument attempting to justify a shaky position.

Schumacher works as hard or harder than many sports people. Not only physically, but mentally and with an eye for business. Juggling the ability to control an 800hp rocket that responds to your slightest touch, controlling your body so you don't black out in corners, and so you don't get the shakes, is to completely sell short what these people do for a living.

I assume you sit at a desk all day?

A racer losing 5 lbs in a race doesn't impress me either and it doesn't prove much. It's WATER WEIGHT. I'm sure the drivers drink liters upon liters of water pre-race with the expectations of sweating it all out. They are sweating because the car is hot...not because they are doing so much work...or maybe I'm wrong.

Any intelligent athlete who knows they are going to lose that weight due to exertion does the smart thing and stocks there body with resources before entering the event. In the case of your fathers Marathons he would likely be taking cups of water or gatorade throughout the event.

Drivers will lose 5-10kg of weight in a hot car, 2-5 in a cold car. It's based as much on temperature as effort.

I'll try to find somewhere that offers a vehicle that I can drive that will give me some idea of what a professional racer feels.

Because No one is arguing about Drag Racers. They are built for speed. the same way supposed "athlete" blockers in NFL are built like Brick Houses. Doesn't make them quick or agile, It makes them big.

It's very typical of your argument that you are quick to criticise the work of Drivers such as Schumacher without ever actually experiencing what they do. No doubt your Eclipse was a G-force machine but it's hardly going to require the same amount of reflex-based input, focus and ability to look ahead and process information accordingly.

Remove head from Sphincter, then drive
    <cough> www.charginmahlazer.tumblr.com </cough>

Quote Originally Posted by IBrake4Rainbows View Post
    Because No one is arguing about Drag Racers. They are built for speed. the same way supposed "athlete" blockers in NFL are built like Brick Houses. Doesn't make them quick or agile, It makes them big.

It's very typical of your argument that you are quick to criticise the work of Drivers such as Schumacher without ever actually experiencing what they do. No doubt your Eclipse was a G-force machine but it's hardly going to require the same amount of reflex-based input, focus and ability to look ahead and process information accordingly.

Remove head from Sphincter, then drive
    So you're comparing drag racers (the vehicles) to football players (the humans)?

Don't read too deep, I have raced RACERS before. BUT, I will look to experience something FASTER to completely bust my self-made-myth.

--------
    I would really like to see you go toe to toe with a female boxer. It'd be funny to see you lose teeth.
    Wait a minute...I missed this one...

I can kill every woman in the world with my bare hands. There isn't a female alive that could stand up to my punch. My MANLY punch to her face would BREAK her. Don't compare me. Don't.
    Last edited by -What-; 02-12-2008 at 10:19 PM.

So you're comparing drag racers (the vehicles) to football players (the humans)?

Don't read too deep, I have raced RACERS before. BUT, I will look to experience something FASTER to completely bust my self-made-myth.
    Wow. Semantics. Thats what your argument is down to?

Dragsters = Vehicles
    Drag Racers = Individuals who pilot them.

truly, an epic fail on your behalf.

Wow. Semantics. Thats what your argument is down to?

Dragsters = Vehicles
    Drag Racers = Individuals who pilot them.

truly, an epic fail on your behalf.
    No no...when you said "drag racers" I thought you meant like DRAGSTERS. In America it is common to refer to DRAGSTERS as drag racers. I am sorry for the confusion.

This is not an epic fail. You search for false victories like politicians.

I can kill every woman in the world with my bare hands. There isn't a female alive that could stand up to my punch. My MANLY punch to her face would BREAK her. Don't compare me. Don't.
    Hah, oh my. Now you're just resorting to lame Maddox-esque "edgy" humour. I'm quite certain now that you're a fragile, pale nerd living in your parents' basement. At the very most, the house and cars you've posted photos of are your parents' as well. The quail's got you pegged, you'll be leeching off of them until they kick your sorry ass out onto the street. For now, just enjoy shitting up forums with your inane nerd rage comments.

At first it was kind of amusing, but the act is tired. I cannot believe you've not been banned yet.
    i was waiting on a moment, but the moment never came. all the billion other moments, were just slipping all away. i must have been tripping, we're just slipping all away. just ego tripping.

If you weren't so delusional and serious I'd be laughing.

I wonder what your model girlfriend thinks about your rage and sexism issues.

Any supposed man who would even threaten violence against a woman is nothing more than a silly boy.

If you weren't so delusional and serious I'd be laughing.

I wonder what your model girlfriend thinks about your rage and sexism issues.

Any supposed man who would even threaten violence against a woman is nothing more than a silly boy.
    I haven't threatened anyone and I definitely don't have rage or sexism issues. I respect everyone.

Guys, lets stay on subject and keep the conversation positive.

......You cannot be serious.

Fine, you don't have rage issues.

You're Bipolar.

I haven't threatened anyone and I definitely don't have rage or sexism issues. I respect everyone.

Guys, lets stay on subject and keep the conversation positive.
    I think you're on a mission here. I remember when you first troll'ed the forums you acted similarly, so we gave you a lengthy ban for something and you vanished for a while.

Is your goal to be banned, but without blatantly looking like you're trying to be banned?

I'm more physically fit than Schumacher ever was and AT BEST he MAY be able to MATCH ME in a mentally stressful situation.
    Seriously ?
    First mentally ... consider your approach on this forum ... you're well below the ideal for a driver -- even a school bus driver
    Next physically ... again unless you're in the top 5 percentile of fitness then you're dreaming. So pray do tell ... what is your daily physical work out. Your resting and exercising heart rate ?
    a sport is that the actual athlete during the work of the "sport" is THE CAR.
    Is a javelin doing the "work" ? WHat about a discuss ? Pole vaulter ? Tour de France rider ? How many well recognised sports does it take to realise that man has always used "equpment" in sports. So whether there is equipment or not woudl seem pointless argument.
    So you argue that the drivers are the athletes? Why, because they have to press pedals and steer? Pfft...EVEN THEIR STEERING IS POWER ASSISTED.
    Already pointed out to you the effort it takes to actually RACE a car.
    THe power steering in a race car isnt' like in an SUV
    Yes .. it has gotten "easier" with power steering ... BUT that is because it was getting physically impossible with the higher front grip levels to turn the wheels at the higher speeds !
    Follow your own logic .... by that comparison then you are proposing that an 800 metre runner isn't in a sport because he's not running 100 m in sub 10s. Never mind a marathon runner. DIfferent subset of the sport, different "Measures"
    Just because nobody defends a drag racer does not negate other forms of driver being involved ina a sport.
    Most agree with the point that drag racers are likely not "athletes" .. but are competing in a competitive sport.
    Suggest you go to your local track on any day and have a chat with the drivers there to understand what they do day-to-day and compare your fitness levels and "athletic prowess"
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Thread Information