Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Why America won't buy a Smart

Why America won't buy a Smart

Further to the "Why buy an SUV" thread I start this one based on an article I just read.

Fun article and yet it holds so many truths !!

The drove a Smart across America.
    To my American cousins, please don't get too upset at the stereotypes - just remember you have them of Europeans ( and no I do NOT wear a kilt all the time )

http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/nav?pag...storyId=582346
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine
    Further to the "Why buy an SUV" thread I start this one based on an article I just read.

Fun article and yet it holds so many truths !!

The drove a Smart across America.
    To my American cousins, please don't get too upset at the stereotypes - just remember you have them of Europeans ( and no I do NOT wear a kilt all the time )

http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/nav?pag...storyId=582346

thats an interesting read, i am reading more articles of there site now coz i am trying to save up all the money i can for reasons that i am sure you could guess used to get 3 or 4 mags a month now i am just subscribed to Rallyxs great mag
    Cedric - I sound like a chipmunk on there. Some friends of mine were like, "were you going through puberty?" I was like, no I was already 20, I just sound like a girl.

Good article Matra, thanks. It's too bad the SMART is too small for American tastes. I hate to think of all the gas we're wasting becuase of the number of SUVs we have, and most people don't "need" something that big.

I went to the SMART web page and got this quote from it's FAQ section regarding it's future US intro:

Will the whole model range of smart cars be available in the USA?
    We plan to launch a variant of the smart forfour onto the US-American market in 2006. However we are not planning to introduce the current model range (smart city-coupé, cabrio, crossblade, roadster, roadster-coupé) and smart forfour there. Decisions will be reached concerning each specific vehicle in relation to the US launch of future smart models which could be available on the market after 2006.

Taz.
    "NEVER ALLOW SOMEONE TO BE YOUR PRIORITY, WHILE ALLOWING YOURSELF TO BE THEIR OPTION"

the only smart id think about buying is the roadster or roadster-coupe. the others arnt very apealing, and that article is full of idiotic (yet funny) stereotypes. most americans dont have any of europeans either. at least none we take seriously

exept for you guy's funny accents j/k
    Last edited by megotmea7; 08-07-2004 at 06:44 PM.
    UCP's Most Hardcore Burro!

Being human explains everything but excuses nothing

I've mentioned this in another thread, but I love the Smart roadster! (When it's rebadged and redesigned as the Dodge Slingshot ) I don't see the smart fortwo as being viable for the American marker, too low performance, rough ride, poor handling, no storage space, poor range, weird styling, and overpriced (for what you get) Excellent concept, but with too many compromises. Now the Smart Roadster, it has looks, performance (I was told 0-60 in about 10 seconds, not earth-shattering, but still driveable) rear wheel drive, convertible, and fun! Besides, there's nothing like it in the market. I think it would be a great success. A few years ago, I was hoping for the Dodge Razor, not I want the Slingshot!

EDIT: 46mpg isn't all that great ( I know it's a different size gallon, but still) The VW Golf TDI is incredible for mileage and range, and offers less compromises. If fuel efficiency is your goal, I'd go with the VW or one of the hybrids
    Last edited by HemiCuda500; 08-08-2004 at 01:06 AM. Reason: forgot something
    Life begins @ 200 MPH
    There's no replacement for displacement.

Quote Originally Posted by HemiCuda500
    I've mentioned this in another thread, but I love the Smart roadster! (When it's rebadged and redesigned as the Dodge Slingshot ) I don't see the smart fortwo as being viable for the American marker, too low performance, rough ride, poor handling, no storage space, poor range, weird styling, and overpriced (for what you get) Excellent concept, but with too many compromises. Now the Smart Roadster, it has looks, performance (I was told 0-60 in about 10 seconds, not earth-shattering, but still driveable) rear wheel drive, convertible, and fun! Besides, there's nothing like it in the market. I think it would be a great success. A few years ago, I was hoping for the Dodge Razor, not I want the Slingshot!

EDIT: 46mpg isn't all that great ( I know it's a different size gallon, but still) The VW Golf TDI is incredible for mileage and range, and offers less compromises. If fuel efficiency is your goal, I'd go with the VW or one of the hybrids
    the smart is already 2 years old and isnt build for fuel economy in case you forgot.

too low performance, rough ride, poor handling, no storage space, poor range, weird styling, and overpriced (for what you get) Excellent concept, but with too many compromises.
    You obviously forgot to read the article then
    2 people, their luggage, camera equipment, a spare wheel, and a gallon can. I don't know too many people who need to carry more than that on a regular basis.

Also, after re-orienting the G-meter for the traction control, it is apparently an alarmingly fun car to hurl through bends.

"John Griffiths, Buick car salesman for 22 years.
    'Your ego type of buyer ain't gonna buy this,' he tells me, walking around the Smart with a grin and shaking his head in disbelief. 'Eye appeal, that's what sells a car here, how a car looks."

Oh dear. Do Americans really think that Buicks look good?

"'I really need my pick-up,' we're told. Everyone needs a pick-up, even though the biggest thing we see being carried in one during the whole trip is a lawn mower."

That sounds familiar...

Ho-hum
    Thanks for all the fish

I think if the roadster was sold here it would do alot better than the one there offering. I personally would never buy the one there offering, but the roadster, i would atleast take it for a test drive and consider it.

Quote Originally Posted by drakkie
    the smart is already 2 years old and isnt build for fuel economy in case you forgot.
    In the European market the Smart is also available with a three cylinder turbo diesel engine. Would leave the Golf and the hybrids far behind. But I realise the Smart itself is already a quantum leap for the USA, let alone fitting this thing with a diesel engine.
    In Europe, at least the Netherlands it is a typical city car, many of which are used by companies located there. It is rare to see a Smart not carrying any website address or logo. Personally I would not like to be seen in one. (This is what is shares with the X5)
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Seems the only people who liked it were women. Kinda figures.
    How did I know they were going to say this?
    "The Smart was astoundingly comfortable, utterly reliable, fast, stable when an 18-wheeler wasn't trying to scoop us up as a mascot, and economical. Perfectly at home in the United States."
    Comes down to what you are used to I suppose. And the fact that automobiles are not neccessarily pragmatic purchases.
    "A string is approximately nine long."
    Egg Nogg 02-04-2005, 05:07 AM

Are you brits really that bored that you have to come over here and drive some car across the country? 45 mpg isn't that special, my civic gets equivalent mileage and I can carry so much more....so why bother? I don't need special gas or hideous looks either. Hell, with anything above 87 octane I could probably get even more MPG. And 45 is in imperial too, so it would actually be less in US gallons? Hmmm....

And, fancy that, they make fun of everyone they talk to. Thumbs up guys!
    And Iraaaaaaaaaaaan

Iran's so far awaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay...

ROR

I WOULD BUY A SMART

I reacently went the Lane motor museum and one of the cars there was a Smart and I was actually amased at how good it looked, and not just on the outside. The interior was simple yet inviting and practical. Personally, id like to see some on the road sometime soon
    eat cicada

I'll tell all of you why America wouldn't buy a Smart- it's too small in the giant-SUV (i.e. Ford Excursion, Hummer, and Chevrolet Surburban) obsessed US. Learn some environment facts you wasteful eejits. There is an environment problem (aka GLOBAL WARMING).
    Last edited by IWantAnAudiRS6; 09-07-2004 at 07:54 AM.

I read a review in an Australian motor magazine which said what crappy dynamics these things have. I suppose theres a trade of for everything. The ones Ive seen, aside from the fact I think they look rediculous, also seem very vulnerable of exsposed.
    "A string is approximately nine long."
    Egg Nogg 02-04-2005, 05:07 AM

I won't buy a Not-So-Smart car because it is not as useful to me as my 2004 VW Jetta TDI and, on its best day, consumes more fuel (38 mpg on the highway) Jettta consumes on its worst day (routinely 42 to 44 mpg in mixed driving).

Thread Information