Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Lexus LFA 2010-2012

Quote Originally Posted by Roentgen View Post
    I'd rather have this. This has the most amazing Interior, and it's exclusive, since it's limited to 500 units.
    so, pretty much a tacit admission that they can't make a cool car AND make a profit of it. too much multitasking for lexus
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

Quote Originally Posted by clutch-monkey View Post
    so, pretty much a tacit admission that they can't make a cool car AND make a profit of it. too much multitasking for lexus
    I think someone at Lexus during the Tokyo show actually said that even at 375.000 $ they arent going to make a profit on each car.
    KFL Racing Enterprises - Kicking your ass since 2008

*cough* http://theitalianjunkyard.blogspot.com/ *cough*

Quote Originally Posted by NicFromLA View Post
    Isn't a Ferrari 599 GTB about 220,000 Euros? For 380K Euros I can buy a 599 AND a Nissan GT-R AND an IS-F. That's an easy call.
    The 599 GTB (with the stupid flappy paddle gearbox, don't have the price for the manual one) costs 246.200€. Murcielago LP640 Berlinetta with a manual is 313.800€. So you could for instance have a Lambo and a nice sports saloon for everyday driving.
    Toyota and cool in the same sentence doesn't compute.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Over here:
    DBS 243.000 €
    DBS touchtronic 247.000 €

599 GTB, 251.500 €
    599 GTB F1 258.500 €
    Don't know about the HGTE pack

Murcielago LP640 288.600 €
    Murciealgo LP640 Egear 297.000 €
    the LP670 comes at 360.600 € (!!!)

Now words for the Italian price of the LFA, someone is calling for 290.000 €.

Quote Originally Posted by LeonOfTheDead View Post
    Over here:
    DBS 243.000 €
    DBS touchtronic 247.000 €

599 GTB, 251.500 €
    599 GTB F1 258.500 €
    Don't know about the HGTE pack

Murcielago LP640 288.600 €
    Murciealgo LP640 Egear 297.000 €
    the LP670 comes at 360.600 € (!!!)

Now words for the Italian price of the LFA, someone is calling for 290.000 €.
    I can't believe we have cheaper Ferraris...

The DB9 manual is 189.580€ here and the DBS manual 276.830€. So basically the base V12 Aston costs almost half as much as the Lexus. Altough they are very different cars aimed at different markets.
    Visca Catalunya!

I think someone at Lexus during the Tokyo show actually said that even at 375.000 $ they arent going to make a profit on each car.
    wow, so it could have cost even more, maybe if they sold more they could drop the price a bit..
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

wow, so it could have cost even more, maybe if they sold more they could drop the price a bit..
    One of the excuses why it costs so much is exclusivity (oh yeah).
    With only 500 cars you are free to adopt some solutions which are based on the craftsmanship of the operators, technologies which wouldn't be so economically sensed in larger numbers and so on. probably they wold have to raise so much the production run to make it cheaper that it would have also lost the "exclusivity" thing by a fair margin. Maybe they couldn't even do that.

Like, Ferrari won't make an open top version of the 599 in large numbers for the simple fact the structure isn't strong enough without the roof. It can be sorted obviously, but only if the production figure is quite low, about 500 cars were what they were considering, IF they are going to do that (I don't have an update on this since a lot of time).

Pagani managed to solve the rigidity/weight issue of open top cars with small steel components connected to the lower part of the central monocoque, which is brilliant, but also takes a lot of time and of precision, something you have in large quantities in the case, but not if we were to consider a car like the Maserati GranCabrio meant to be produced on an automated line and in a few hours/days, not 9 freaking months.

It's....well, It doesn't look very special to me.

With a Murcielago you get Drama, Function and Futurist leanings, all in a neat beast of a thing.

This is more...Sedate. Much more sedate actually. The details are nice...I suppose, but they are very much cerebral and more than a little lacking in the passion department.

Having said that though this is a triumph of engineering and I suggest it will very much live up to it's price tag in terms of it's capability, but I can't help thinking the soul might not be there.

L-Finesse indeed, what it really needed was L-Mongrel.
    <cough> www.charginmahlazer.tumblr.com </cough>

Quote Originally Posted by IBrake4Rainbows View Post
    It's....well, It doesn't look very special to me.

With a Murcielago you get Drama, Function and Futurist leanings, all in a neat beast of a thing.

This is more...Sedate. Much more sedate actually. The details are nice...I suppose, but they are very much cerebral and more than a little lacking in the passion department.

Having said that though this is a triumph of engineering and I suggest it will very much live up to it's price tag in terms of it's capability, but I can't help thinking the soul might not be there.

L-Finesse indeed, what it really needed was L-Mongrel.
    Well it's japanese thinking v Italian thinking.

It's like buying a Nissan GT-R for the passion and soul. It doesn't compute. What you do is get a Maserati GranTurismo S, which is a lot more rubbish but much more characterful.
    Visca Catalunya!

It's not about ability, more often than not, but how you feel when you're experiencing that ability.

The GT-R is in a position where what the car can do wows, but not necessarily the car itself. Which is what I fear for the LF-A.

I wouldn't necessarily call it Japanese Vs Italian thinking (although they seem to attack the problem in different ways), more a matter of prestige. This is the Toyota Veyron, I suspect.

It's not about ability, more often than not, but how you feel when you're experiencing that ability.

The GT-R is in a position where what the car can do wows, but not necessarily the car itself. Which is what I fear for the LF-A.

I wouldn't necessarily call it Japanese Vs Italian thinking (although they seem to attack the problem in different ways), more a matter of prestige. This is the Toyota Veyron, I suspect.
    It certainly is the Toyota Veyron, but without the much over hyped fanfare of the real Veyron. I'm honestly too bothered about this car, but it's only normal that a country which is known for making their cars usually behave like appliances, does their supercars (or halo cars if you prefer) in the same way.

Cars are usually an expression on nations culture. Continuing with the example, take Italy for instance. Italy is a beautiful country, a nice place to be. But at the same time it's total chaos and a bit rubbish. And their cars are like that too. So therefore Japan, a country acknoowledged to be at the fore front of technology and efficiency does their car in the same way.
    Visca Catalunya!

Playing to Cultural Stereotypes. I suppose that means Germany is Devoutly organised and motivated to go forward, and the US is made entirely out of gloopy bits of plastic

I understand the point, but there are well made Italian sports cars, and there are shambolic Japanese ones.

I will wait to see is this will become another quiet hero, a'la NSX. I hope so.

As a car I think this car does more as a prototype study for some of the future manufacturing technique than as a full fledge exotic. Serves the purpose as a brand halo, but what they do here I think can conceivably trickle down to making new Lexus better...
    University of Toronto Formula SAE Alumni 2003-2007
    Formula Student Championship 2003, 2005, 2006
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    It certainly is the Toyota Veyron, but without the much over hyped fanfare of the real Veyron. I'm honestly too bothered about this car, but it's only normal that a country which is known for making their cars usually behave like appliances, does their supercars (or halo cars if you prefer) in the same way.

Cars are usually an expression on nations culture. Continuing with the example, take Italy for instance. Italy is a beautiful country, a nice place to be. But at the same time it's total chaos and a bit rubbish. And their cars are like that too. So therefore Japan, a country acknoowledged to be at the fore front of technology and efficiency does their car in the same way.
    I confirm.

Of course there are well made Italians cars (. . . Pagani, then. . .), but that's like Leonardo being Italian. He was a genius, but that doesn't mean we all are.
    (and by saying so, I may add I just received a 23/30 on today's exam)

I agree, it most definitely is Japan's Veyron. Small production number, insane price.

Playing to Cultural Stereotypes. I suppose that means Germany is Devoutly organised and motivated to go forward, and the US is made entirely out of gloopy bits of plastic

I understand the point, but there are well made Italian sports cars, and there are shambolic Japanese ones.

I will wait to see is this will become another quiet hero, a'la NSX. I hope so.
    I doubt it's an NSX. The NSX seems so much more pure than this. The flappy paddle gearbox is a big turnoff.

Quote Originally Posted by RacingManiac View Post
    As a car I think this car does more as a prototype study for some of the future manufacturing technique than as a full fledge exotic. Serves the purpose as a brand halo, but what they do here I think can conceivably trickle down to making new Lexus better...
    Yeah, Lexus has yet to expand their F division cars beyond the IS and... this.

I confirm.

Of course there are well made Italians cars (. . . Pagani, then. . .), but that's like Leonardo being Italian. He was a genius, but that doesn't mean we all are.
    (and by saying so, I may add I just received a 23/30 on today's exam)
    Haha, I might not do so well on my Bio exam today too.

And on a side not, has anyone looked at the configurator for this car? There are some interesting exterior colors for this car. Mint green would be one of my more favorite unorthodox colors.

Thread Information