Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 505HP & 26mpg!!!! better than 4cyls.

505HP & 26mpg!!!! better than 4cyls.

The new LS7 V8 puts out 505HP and still gets 16/26 mpg

Here are some other ~500HP sports cars

Ford GT = 13/21 mpg 550HP V8

Ferrari F430 = 11/17 mpg 493HP V8

Dodge Viper = 12/20 mpg 500HP V10

Lamborghini Gallardo = 10/17 500HP V10

Acura NSX = 17/24 mpg 280HP V6 Z06 has twice the torque and better milage

The 505HP Z06 even beats out the 240HP 4 cyl. Honda S2000 in hwy mpg (26 =Z06, 25 = S2000)

I mean, I know fuel economy isn't exactly a priority to buyers of these cars, but damn, it's not even close!

I doubt the truth in these claims.
    I suppose these are the official claims by each manufacturer. We all know that these are way optimistic figures, that have no corellation to real life consumption.
    Though I have no proof to back up my opinion, I say this is untrue. It's practically impossible to have a V8 with 3 times the displacement of a 4-pot, burning less fuel.
    Just imagine the friction that the V8 has to overcome...

I'd like to see how all those figures change when the cars are actually driven

Might get a few surprises
    I am the Stig

EPA: 55 mph constant speed, with the LS7 6th gear that would mean revs just above idle.
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Crap, thats better than my truck And I only have 230hp at the crank.
    "We went to Wnedy's. I had chicken nuggest." ~ Quiggs

if your really concerned, get a Lotus!
    better car (), better milage. (30.1/52.3mpg)
    Last edited by johnnyperl; 08-07-2005 at 10:29 AM.

If anyone is getting that kind of fuel milage in the Z06, they're not driving it the way it should be driven.

Quote Originally Posted by Aero
    If anyone is getting that kind of fuel milage in the Z06, they're not driving it the way it should be driven.
    tottally agree.
    Who killed the Electric Car?
    GO HABS GO!

I still fail to see how Ferrari's street car engines are considered by so many to be the pinnacle of engineering. Woah! Less reliable, less torquey, and less efficient? Where do I sign?!

Don't get me wrong, I love how they sound/rev/etc, its just that they aren't really mechanically superior.

Quote Originally Posted by Aero
    If you drive it the way it should be driven, it should be on a race track, where MPG don't matter anyway.
    "NEVER ALLOW SOMEONE TO BE YOUR PRIORITY, WHILE ALLOWING YOURSELF TO BE THEIR OPTION"

Quote Originally Posted by lightweight
    I doubt the truth in these claims.
    I suppose these are the official claims by each manufacturer. We all know that these are way optimistic figures, that have no corellation to real life consumption.
    Though I have no proof to back up my opinion, I say this is untrue. It's practically impossible to have a V8 with 3 times the displacement of a 4-pot, burning less fuel.
    Just imagine the friction that the V8 has to overcome...
    But, you also have to remember that this and Chrysler's V8's use Displacement On Demand (DOD) fuel programs in their PCM. It cuts out two cylinders for normal highway driving and turns them back on during hard runs (passing, take off, etc.). If I get a 1993 Mustang GT like I want, I'm thinking about contacting AEM or some other Stand Alone Engine Managment PCM developer to come up with my own DOD along with a turn dial for different maps as well (like many race and some built street cars have).
    "You know what these trees and old people have in common? They're both going in the ground soon!" - Bam Margera

"The day the New York Times defines what Country Music is will be the day I shave my legs with a butter knife." - John Rich, of the country band Big and Rich

I'll be 15 on Feb. 18th, so buy me a drink! (Hint: Don't look at it as the decimal number. <smirks>)

Quote Originally Posted by DodgeNitroBIRM
    But, you also have to remember that this and Chrysler's V8's use Displacement On Demand (DOD) fuel programs in their PCM. It cuts out two cylinders for normal highway driving and turns them back on during hard runs (passing, take off, etc.).
    True, but I still think that it's not possible to achieve better fuel economy. In order to do this, Chrysler must have a WAY superior combustion technology, which they don't.

If I get a 1993 Mustang GT like I want, I'm thinking about contacting AEM or some other Stand Alone Engine Managment PCM developer to come up with my own DOD along with a turn dial for different maps as well (like many race and some built street cars have).
    Really complicated thing to do, with doubtable results. I wouldn't do it because I think it's too risky. Good luck, though...
    With the money you'll spend on the custom DOD system, you can buy yourself gas for a couple of decades....

But, you also have to remember that this and Chrysler's V8's use Displacement On Demand (DOD) fuel programs in their PCM. It cuts out two cylinders for normal highway driving and turns them back on during hard runs (passing, take off, etc.). If I get a 1993 Mustang GT like I want, I'm thinking about contacting AEM or some other Stand Alone Engine Managment PCM developer to come up with my own DOD along with a turn dial for different maps as well (like many race and some built street cars have).
    dude don't get a GT get an LX notchback!
    My rides:
    1999 Mustang GT

1974 Ford Country Squire (for sale!)

1991 Jeep Cherokee

1970 Shelby GT500

But, you also have to remember that this and Chrysler's V8's use Displacement On Demand (DOD) fuel programs in their PCM. It cuts out two cylinders for normal highway driving and turns them back on during hard runs (passing, take off, etc.)..
    the Z06 does not have this technology. And last time i checked Chrysler V8's shut down 4 cylinders. Or atleast the Dodge Magnum does. Just checked and the 300C does too.
    eat cicada

Really impressive.

Source?

Thread Information