Thread: Lemans Homologation

Lemans Homologation

can someone tell me why some previous GT1 Lemans cars (MB CLK-GTR, Porsche 911 GT1, Toyota GTOne, Nissan R390 GT1 , etc.) were homologated but the more recent ones (Bentley EXP speed 8, etc.) are not? Did the ACO change the rules? Also, is the MC12 considered a homologation or a cheap atempt at boosting a company's image?

Well the Bently Speed 8 is an LMP, or LeMans Prototype, and I believe that class is exempt from homologation. I'm not quite clear on all the restrictions though.

Quote Originally Posted by LTT
    Well the Bently Speed 8 is an LMP, or LeMans Prototype, and I believe that class is exempt from homologation. I'm not quite clear on all the restrictions though.
    That is correct. Prototypes do need to comply with certain regulations, but they do not need to be homologated. GT cars on the other hand need to be homologated.
    If you should see a man walking down a crowded street talking aloud to himself, don't run in the opposite direction, but run towards him, because he's a poet. You have nothing to fear from the poet - but the truth.

(Ted Joans)

Germany -> West Germany -> NRW -> Düsseldorf
    Cars like Mercedes CLK GTR and CLK LM, Porsche 993 GT1, 996 GT1 Evo and 996 GT1/98, Nissan R390 and Toyota GT-One were cars in the old FIA GT1 category. At first there had to be 25 cars (so there are 25 Merc CLK GTRs and Porsche 993 GT1 and 996 GT1 Evos), later they changed that to only one car (so there is only one road legal Merc CLK LM, only one road legal Porsche 996 GT1/98 and only one Toyota GT-One (look into the Hide-Out for a picture)).

The Bentley came out 2001, when the old GT1 category was dead and so it is a prototype with roof (don't know the name of the category) as the Audi R8C was in 1999. In that category you hadn't to build road legal cars for homologation.

The new Maserati MC12 runs in the new FIA GT1 category (well, it will, but it is nearly illegal, but that is another theme), and the FIA says you have to build 25 road legal cars for that category. Maserati doubled that and built 50 cars. The other manufacturers in that category haven't that problem because they build enough cars (except Saleen maybe...)
    WRC - That's motorsport!

"If you can see the tree you are about to hit, it is called 'understeering'. If you can only hear and feel it, it was 'oversteering'."
    Walter Röhrl

The class of the Bentley was LM GTP, which was very similar to LMP 900, but with a roof and smaller tires.
    If you should see a man walking down a crowded street talking aloud to himself, don't run in the opposite direction, but run towards him, because he's a poet. You have nothing to fear from the poet - but the truth.

(Ted Joans)

thanks!
    i forgot that the above cars competed in the FIA GT championship.

thanks for the replys

Thread Information